New mcm5 with multiple battery options

ChrisB

I noticed there are several new eBay listings for gotway mcm5 with multiple battery options ranging from 340wh to 800wh.

They appear to all have the same motor etc, looks like the only difference is the battery.

Anyone have information or opinion?

The MCM5 has always existed in 67.2V and 84V with multiple battery sizes each (same for the mten3 btw). In the West, merely the highest-end 84V 800Wh or 650Wh (max number of cells) versions are typically sold. In principle, this is nothing new. The other variants are just appearing here more. Some can be quite good lower-cost options!

I don't know, but I guess the differences are minimal. Different firmware and... maybe that's already it.

read the descriptions carefully.. the 67.2V versions are more just learning wheels as they have very limited battery sizes, also the motor power is 900W compared to the 1500 of the standard version so if you think you can get this and just upgrade it later think again, they are entirely different internals... i dont see the point in getting anything but the best option offered tbh because the MCM5 is the same size as most 16" wheels so unless its ridiculously cheap youd be better off getting a ninebot s2 or inmotion v5/v8, ks14d they will all have much better resale value as well

edit: ps. they start off at 170 wh not 340, i do believe as meep said 650 is the minimum for the 84 volt variant so anything below that is a lesser model

Edited by Rywokast

47 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

also the motor power is 900W compared to the 1500 of the standard version

Oh really? I wonder what motors those are. Maybe MCM4?

Found another thread about it:

47 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

edit: ps. they start off at 170 wh not 340, i do believe as meep said 650 is the minimum for the 84 volt variant so anything below that is a lesser model

There's also small sizes in 84V. See under "battery".

20190722_114104.thumb.jpg.8c0494912b07d7

Picture from here, where there's also discussion about the MCM5 versions:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh really? I wonder what motors those are. Maybe MCM4?

Found another thread about it:

There's also small sizes in 84V. See under "battery".

20190722_114104.thumb.jpg.8c0494912b07d7

Picture from here, where there's also discussion about the MCM5 versions:

the hell ive never seen 130 only 170 like here and here... 130 lmao is that a joke.. basically a paperweight at that point i wouldnt pay 200 bucks for it totally useless

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

130Wh seem to be 2200mAh cells. Gotway usually doesn't use these. Not sure what exactly is going on there.

The 420Wh is essentially a better 14D so not bad at all!

yea weird... better specs for the price for sure, i still wouldnt buy it though too big and ugly compared to the sleek 14D :P 563, 420, 200 mcm5 and 476, 437, 147 ks14d, plus the 14 is built like a tank and has a much better trolley.. but for a learner or very casual user its pretty good

I bought a couple of these with 170wh batteries.  I have upgraded the battery myself on one of the wheels so far to 420wh for about $100 however it did take me about 6 hours so not economically justified when you add the cost of my time but it was an interesting project and the wheel is really nice.  Has plenty of torque and is fast.  The existing battery is a brick shape under the handle and the side space is empty for a flat battery.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Traveller said:

I bought a couple of these with 170wh batteries.  I have upgraded the battery myself on one of the wheels so far to 420wh for about $100 however it did take me about 6 hours so not economically justified when you add the cost of my time but it was an interesting project and the wheel is really nice.  Has plenty of torque and is fast.  The existing battery is a brick shape under the handle and the side space is empty for a flat battery.  

I was considering one of these with the 420wh, have you logged your miles since upgrading? I'm guessing your miles with 170wh was very low. If you have any numbers post them up along with your weight.

Thanks

I have only done about 40km total on the wheel.  Maybe 10km since upgrade.  Only had it three days.  I am 90kg.  It performed well even with the 170wh battery 30% remaining after 7km ride.  Did the same ride today after upgrade and had 80% remaining.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

My daughter on the 170wh had 60% remaining after 7km - she weighs 50kg.

the hell thats the same weight as me and i can only get that far on 300 wh O.o i guess i ride a lot more aggressively though lol

She hasn't ridden this wheel very much so was pretty conservative.  We have beeps at 24km/h so mostly travelled about 20km/h although it was up and down quite a hill.  This is also only a 900w motor so might be a bit more efficient.  

10 minutes ago, Traveller said:

She hasn't ridden this wheel very much so was pretty conservative.  We have beeps at 24km/h so mostly travelled about 20km/h although it was up and down quite a hill.  This is also only a 900w motor so might be a bit more efficient.  

im talking about my previous v5f :P same 24 kph and a 550 W motor, 320 wh battery.. what your getting is really good range for that battery

Just found this on Ali.  16s2p in the flat configuration for the side space.  I am travelling around so if I can plan a place to be long enough in advance I might buy one of these for the other wheel and save 6 hours of labour.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829177989.html gives 480wh for $150 bucks.  Have to check again that it will fit but I think it will.  

Edited by Traveller

Yes I know.  This is for an electric unicycle.  Could still switch off if current is over 18amps however as this is an additional battery added to original battery with its own bms -  total current would need to exceed 30 amps which is 1800w so should be a safe bet.  Just measured the space and I will need to relocate the bms off the battery however much easier than building the battery from scratch again.  Just need to get it here now in a reasonable time frame.  5th October not an option.

Says maximum discharge 5c so that is 25 amps plus 15 amps from original battery gives 40amps peak or 2.4kw - this is more than the motor can deliver.  

• 10 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 3:40 AM, Traveller said:

Just bought this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862150354.html

Same as above but bit higher capacity.  Will give me 500wh total with a bit of modification and be less work.  Take a month to get here though.

Were you able to get this to work? What kind of tools do you need to do this mod?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I am planning to buy a 310wh 67v mcm5.

And upgrading with you 16s2p Z10 battery pack on aliexpress for ~$125

Just wanted to check to see if you were able to get the pre-built battery pack to work.

Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...