KNEE BRACES

3 hours ago, Supafast said:

my feet feel a car ran over them. i guess i'll get used to it.

Feet pain means a lack of blood circulation. To remedy it change shoes and regularly raise your feet while riding to let the blood flow.

Buying a knee brace is good if u have weak ligaments or bad knees where a bit of support is needed for walking or running around.When u come off ur  euc ,ur are more likely to have a blunt force trauma to the knee .The knee brace will help keep ur shattered patella in place but wont be much good for the blunt force impact.Knee brace for support and protective gear for impact.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:01 AM, Supafast said:

Glad someone is on the same page. My ks18xl is heavy. The forces and vibrations of the wheel could cause long term injury to the knees.

You seem focused on the weight of wheel, but IMHO the problem is elsewhere.

I have knee problems, and my 16X is more than 1/3 my bodyweight, and I find the weight makes it easier on my knees.

Try an mten3. It's half the weight, but I bet it'll stress your knees more due to how hard and squirrely the ride is.

If you have knee problems, you'll have a knee compression sleeve around. Have you tried wearing it? It's my first level of support for bad knee days. 

Regarding "forces" and "vibrations" - those are mitigated by lots of factors. For instance: 

• technique: hip twists vs smooth weight shifts. toes outward vs inward
  • tire pressure: high PSI = feel every crack + bending your knees to brace for every bounce. lower PSI = comfort, let the tire take the beating + allows for straight-legging
  • choice of route: bumpy grass and potholed streets = keeping your knees bent, straining them

FWIW, for my own case, riding 50 miles puts less strain on my knees than walking 1 mile. 

• 1 year later...

Had menicus removal surgery many many moons ago & waddayaknow, the same knee has major pains issues while riding so much so I had to do do multi stops to rest & recover from the stiff knee pain. Riding EUCs stresses the knees in 2 way, up/down weight bearing motion esp when hitting bumps unforeseen & hence unprepared. The other is the lateral twisting motions (mainly inner ie. towards the inside for the affected knee).

After many months of riding, I finally learned to alleviate some that by changing my riding technique. I started to use more of feet instead of my knees esp in quick tight turns. I also found that the weight (&perhaps balance) of the wheel has alot to do with it for obvious reasons. Strangely I still experience knee pains on the Mten3 (though much less than the Tesla & S18) but the MCM5v2 gave the best results as I'm almost pain free on it.

Far's braces go, I haven't tried hinged but I have found best success with simple inexpensive compression sleeves both interms of effectiveness & comfort. Having also tried warparounds, I do find them somewhat stiff & less comfortable. However I do think braces are a YMMV situation.

Exercise ofcos help. Even if it does nothing directly for the cause (in my case), it can strengthen the surrounding muscles/tendons/ligaments. It can't but help. Personally,besides kettlebell swings, I do goblet & power clean squats for the lower body.

• Like 1