Broken tire

Cloud

i was going over the sidewalk ramp and there was a metal piece in it about an inch or two high. When i hit it with the wheel it damaged the tire and it deflated. I have yet to find the spot on the tire where the problem is but can someone recommend how to fix it? 

Can i use a regular fix a flat?

woukd appreciate a response as soon as possible as i cant live without my unicycle.

thanks!

The process is pretty much like fixing a bicycle tire. You'll need to open up the EUC, that process varies by model but it's usually a few screws that hold the two halves together. Once you have it open you should be able to remove the tube through the side of the EUC where the motor cable doesn't run. I put together a photo album when I did it:

Good luck with this Cloud. I hear you when you said you don't want to be without your wheel. Might be a good reason to pick up a backup ^_^

When picking up a bike tire iron, you might want to make sure you get either metal ones like dmethvin has in his album or look for ones that work with BMX tires (since they're smaller and usually harder to remove from rims than full size road bike tires) Some thin plastic tire irons made for road bikes might end up bending or breaking when trying to remove the tire from the rim.

Let us know how it goes.. A man without his wheel is a sad thing indeed.

Nice find!  I was thinking of putting tire liners in but don't want to have to take the tire off until I have to. This looks to be a great alternative until I eventually do have to remove my tire.

I have not received it yet and cant tell if its useful or rather messy, but I read about it in other places and some people are happy with it. You can find some "tests" with People riding over nails and screws with their cars on Youtube. What I couldnt tell if good or not, some slime stays liquid inside the tube and flows with the wheel turning, cant say if that makes the wheel less stable or if this moving mass is neglible (is that spelled right?)

If it's similar to Fix-A-Flat... Then the liquid does eventually solidify. But after reading your post again, I see you mention that it does stay liquid. So that will be interesting hmmm.

The advantage of what you found compared to Fix a flat is it should help prevent flats (fix a flat only fixes them) which is something we fellow Wheel-Riders all will dread. So that sounds like a great way to try to minimize our chances besides dissembling the EU, taking off the wheel and using tire liners. Really glad you found this!

BTW, I'm fairly certain it should work for you.. I found a review where the purchaser had a bike rental business and bought this to help reduce their flat tires (costing them time and $$ to fix) They said this product worked perfectly. So it looks like you found a winner. I just purchased it myself :D

If I can find the review, I'll add it here...

Found the review: "I started using Slime a few years ago when I ran a small resort on this Florida island. We began to offer free bikes for our guests but the maintenance issue, particularly flat tires, was making us regret our decision. A flat tire could cost us $30, especially if an employee went to the store and then spent an hour changing the tube.

Enter Slime! No more flat tires. It's that simple. I now ride my personal bike about 18 miles a week. After a recent trip the rear tire started to deflate. I yanked a big screw out, pumped it up, watched the green goo bubble out and it's fine again. Great stuff!"

In the Slime website FAQ's under the bicycle tab it says the following:

"Can I use Slime Tire Sealant in a tire with an inner tube?

• This formula has large particles that may not seal smaller punctures that occur on an inner tube. We do not recommend or guarantee performance of the product in this application."
  • A bit confusing....:huh:

I found a youtube video about tire repair below:

Oh, now that you mention it, I might have ordered the wrong one.... they have a inner tube product as well that doesnt fix as big holes as the other:
http://slime.com/204/products/8-oz-tube-sealant-for-bike-and-dirt-bike-10003/

Very nice! They also included "wheel barrow" in their product.

http://slime.com/212/products/16-oz-tube-sealant-for-bike-dirt-bike-and-wheelbarrow-10004/

@Jag_Rip you definitely want the inner tube product (the one in your second link or the other inner tube sealant they offer.) The one in my review was for the tube sealant products as well.

What's even more confusing is they have two sealant products. Theoretically the Bike and dirtbike should work. But the other one SloMo points to also includes "wheel barrow" (I'm guessing the traditional kind, not the electric kind ^_^)

My guess is the wheel barrow product is maybe more heavy duty as wheel barrows are usually used to carry heavier loads?

Guys, thank you for the replies. I havent fixed a bicycle tire in maybe 30 years, but i think i will figure it out, 

i have to say, I am going through a terrible withdrawal. I never thought it would be so hard to live without the wheel. I feel like my world is crumbling down.

I literally havent walked in the last 3 months. The only place i walked was in the office, down the steps in the subway, and in my apartment. I rode everywhere outside. I would ride into diners and ride right to the booth. I even rode into public bathrooms and rode out of there without getting off the wheel ( dont mean to gross you out here, just telling the truth). Right now i have to walk and it's a physchological shock! I think i need to see a shrink or euc anonymous or something ! 

Anyway, i got carried away. I guess i need to see where i can buy a bike tire repair kit? I imagine i need a piece of rubber and an appropriate glue. Id get it online but this will take too long!! God help me...

also, i will look into getting a back up wheel now!!!

Yeah, just about any store that has an automotive department will have an inexpensive patch kit for bike tubes. If you're in the USA, try Target, Walmart, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, or any bike shop. It helps to have "tire irons" to pry the bead of the tire out, but you can make do with rounded-handle spoons or forks if you're careful, like in this video:

I even rode into public bathrooms and rode out of there without getting off the wheel

now that made me think, how did you manage to balance on the wheel in place while still hitting the bowl without spraying it all over? :D:lol:

@Cloud wow! You haven't walked in ages. In case you forgot how, remember it's step with the left foot, right foot, left foot :lol: So where is this magical place where you are allowed to ride your wheel everywhere? I want to move there !

So I watched that video about the slime. Interesting.. in the comments people are saying his tire was already worn pretty badly and thin so the skidding to a stop pretty much shredded it. So I wouldn't be too concerned unless your tire is like already on its last legs. I'll be the guinea pig and let you guys know if I suffer the same fate as this guy...

now that made me think, how did you manage to balance on the wheel in place while still hitting the bowl without spraying it all over? :D:lol:

very simple, i was holding on to the wall in front of me with one hand and used the other hand for whatever i needed to use it for

@Cloud wow! You haven't walked in ages. In case you forgot how, remember it's step with the left foot, right foot, left foot :lol: So where is this magical place where you are allowed to ride your wheel everywhere? I want to move there !

So I watched that video about the slime. Interesting.. in the comments people are saying his tire was already worn pretty badly and thin so the skidding to a stop pretty much shredded it. So I wouldn't be too concerned unless your tire is like already on its last legs. I'll be the guinea pig and let you guys know if I suffer the same fate as this guy...

the only place i walked was in the office. So not completely forgotten how to walk but got used to covering distances faster than walking speed

i wish there was a place where you were allowed to ride the wheel everywhere, but who said anything about being allowed?

i guess i had to dismount the wheel a few times  - in my dad's apartment, in a store a couple of times, maybe some place else. But everywhere else i was riding. I know it sounds like i am making this up, but im not. Id get up in the morning, get on the wheel right outside my door, wait for the elevator and roll in. Roll out of elevator, out the building and ride to the subway. There id get off the wheel to bring it down the steps? Roll it in subway where i could and in even rode it in subway in some stretches over smooth surface. Then bring up the steps out of subway in manhattan and ride to the office, up the ramp of the office building. There i had to get off it again and roll it into the elevator as they wouldnt let me ride it inside. I walked inside the office. Then late evening, id leave the building , get on the wheel and ride all the way to brooklyn, roll into a local diner right to my seat and spend some time there. Then just ride around neighborhood some more and ride back home. Most days i didnt do anything else. If i needed to go somewhere far on weekend, id ride to the car. I would ride inside big stores like wallmart and pushed the cart around while on the wheel. I even managed to have a coupke of dates where i was riding while the lady walked beside me the entire time. Contrary to my expectation, she loved it. Must be the novelty of it.

The physchology of it was actually interesting. I had no issues and didnt feel weird or in any way frustrated about walking inside the office, because i never rode there. But as soon as i stepped outside, walking would become torture and totally unbearable. I was used for three months to ride these streets, so walking them again became almost impossible after the tire broke a couple of days ago.  A new habbit is formed in 21 days and i guess no wonder that in 3 months i got so used to the wheel. But it wasnt the process of walking itself that was all of a sudden difficult - it was walking in the areas where i got used to riding.

*sees Spam* Now I'm craving spam musubi... Thanks a lot Jag_Rip, I'm trying to eat healthy haha

Note: For KS 14" owners: The valve position makes it difficult to remove the valve core. You may need to order a low profile valve remover like this in order to do so.

Archived