2 months, 250miles - the musings of a beginner.

Gasmantle

Congratulations on your riding achievement it will only get better from now on, the v5f if a nice wheel but seeing how steady you was on my z10 I'm sure what ever wheel you buy next will get you even riding smoother and for longer , looking forward to seeing you on your next wheel as you was saying you wanted another 👍

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, stephen said:

Congratulations on your riding achievement it will only get better from now on, the v5f if a nice wheel but seeing how steady you was on my z10 I'm sure what ever wheel you buy next will get you even riding smoother and for longer , looking forward to seeing you on your next wheel as you was saying you wanted another 👍

Thanks Stephen, I do think I need an upgrade now I have caught the bug.

I think when I do by my new sooper dooper wheel (whatever it is) I'd be inclined to keep the V5F, it's a beginner wheel but it's a great wheel to do short journeys of a few miles on and I've had a lot of fun on it :).

A guy on youtube recently made a comment in reviewing wheels that I thought made a lot of sense. - he said that nowadays all wheels are good and what you choose to buy is largely just down to rider preference.

• Upvote 1

Hey Gasmantle I'm a new rider an have recently upgraded my v5f to an msx . The new wheel has been a great upgrade and is all I have ridden for last 3 weeks . 

After getting back on the v5f I have found new love for it it's a great wheel for when I want to just pop up to the local shops and is so much more nimble than MSX dont get me wrong the MSX is a serious bit of it and great for long distance and speed and exploring trails .  I thought when I got it I would sell the  v5f  but now there's no way I would as it's so handy and light compared to MSX  I think having 2 wheels that compliment each other is the way to go.  I dont pad up as much on the v5f  now as if I'm taking it out I know it's going to be a leisurely pace . If you do get another wheel be sure to keep the V5F.

• Upvote 3

I put 250 miles on my 18S (only wheel I've ridden, the only wheel I own) in about 1 month, and I have gotten pretty comfortable riding it long distances, bending my knees anticipating rough road (I live in NYC) and have taken two spills at around 10 MPH while learning getting bloody knees and fingertips in the process.  

Initially, I thought turning with an EUC was very hard, but it turns out I had a leaky tire and was riding on 20 psi the whole time!  I replaced the valve core and confirmed no more leaks, pumped to 35 psi and that alone made all the difference in the world.  Now I can turn with agility and even maneuver into tight spaces without much issue.  Learning how to ride seated is a work in progress (I can balance myself, but have trouble stopping).  

I confidently took a 30 mile ride today and although my old bones are hating me right now, it was totally doable and I would do it again tomorrow!  I simply have no urge to ride my Dualtron anymore.  I actually want to get the Monster so it can eat up potholes better than this wheel!  The addiction begins.  :(

• Upvote 2

Way to go Gasmantle,  I'm 55 years old and just begun to ride a KS16S.  I understand my getting old body does not stay up with my wants to do things mind. I have been taking the slow but steady approach.  I'm sure it will take me longer than the average rider to master the wheel, but I get better every time I hop on the thing, great fun!  My co-workers may have a pool going on when I break a bone.

• Like 2

Awesome experience, @Gasmantle. My wife and I purchased our V5F and V8 3 months ago and we are in our 50s. This hobby is so addicting, and the feeling of freedom on the rides is intoxicating. While we are not "one with the wheel" just yet it still feels like magic floating on the trails and people watching with their mouths open. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Many thanks for all the positive relies guys. :)

I guess I kinda started the thread to encourage other newbies who are thinking of buying their first wheel and older riders in particular. If these wheels had been available 40 yrs ago I'd have bought one then - it really is great fun and a practical way of getting around on fairly short journeys.

Although I've been able to ride now for a weeks I've so far struggled to get on the wheel without holding onto something - today I set myself the challenge to learn free mounting. In a local carpark my goal was 100 free mounts and dismounts without touching the wheel by hand. A hour later I'd mastered it and the freedom it gives being able to stop and start anywhere is immeasurable :)

• Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

the freedom it gives being able to stop and start anywhere is immeasurable

Congratulations Peter !!!

I thought you already learnt it, last time we've met TBH :)

Because your riding skills were performed much much better,than at the first meeting.

Well done You :)

Edited by PogArt Artur

16 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

Congratulations Peter !!!

I thought you already learnt it, last time we've meet TBH :)

Because your riding skills were performed much much better,than at the first meeting.

Well done You :)

I could free mount most of the time when we met but still had the odd mishap or my feet would end up not evenly positioned - the idea today was just to perfect my technique so that I can manage it properly at every go :-)

My next lesson is backwards riding - I think may take a while to master though :facepalm:

Edited by Gasmantle
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
55 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

My next lesson is backwards riding

Alright !

So you were only polishing what you know, to get on the wheel more precisely :)

I never been after mastering backward riding, and never will attempt to learn it.

I think it might improve the riding performance indeed, but to me it's more like unnecessary trick, if you know I mean.

Good luck anyway !

13 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I never been after mastering backward riding, and never will attempt to learn it.

I think it might improve the riding performance indeed, but to me it's more like unnecessary trick, if you know I mean.

Yea, I'd agree it maybe is a bit of an unnecessary trick but it's something I've set a challenge of learning :)

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Yea, I'd agree it maybe is a bit of an unnecessary trick but it's something I've set a challenge of learning :)

That's ok :)

You see, many of those youths having a bicycles, often riding them one wheel only ...

And watching around if they're seen doing so :)

Going backward on EUC I seek as a trick, like riding on one side pedal only, or two EUCs same time paired below the rider :)

It's just not attracting me :)

I'm curious how you'll perform it, though :) , and what of advantage you'll gather after mastering it.