Broke the pedal?

Cruiser

Hello there

I  bought my first wheel, an Inmotion V8, less than two months ago. I really like it, but over the past two weeks or so, I started getting unstable riding on my wheel. I attributed it to windy weather, but even after the weather changed for the better, I was still being wobbly, off angle and unstable, so I gave the wheel a really close inspection. I initally thought something might be wrong with the tire, but it turns out the culprit seems to be one of the pedals!

Reference the 3 images. The first image is the normal pedal. The second is the other pedal, that seems to be leaning backwards. On the 3rd image you can also see it leaning backwards, by that it is hard to see its top surface compared to the normal pedal.

I have no idea how it happened. I had one small crash (Just one, in all the time I've owned it), but I wouldn't have thought that it could do something like that to the pedal. I tried dissasembling the pedal, but I'm kinda stuck after I removed the screws from both ends of the pedal and loosened the midle screw. The metal rod that runs in the midle of the pedal is very hard to move, and I've been forced to bang on it with a screw driver and a hammer to get it moving, but so far its only halfway out and doesn't move anymore.

Have any of you ever seen something like this before?

EUC01.jpg

EUC02.jpg

EUC03.jpg

Pedals can easily bend like this in any crash, if the wheel hits "just right".

I recently bent one of my MSX pedals. Looks like yours - probably a bit worse.

I've decided not to worry about it because it has not affected my riding. I cannot feel it in my feet. I think this is because our feet and legs are always moving as we adjust to what the wheel is doing. So if the pedals are not even, our body naturally adjusts to it.

So I would suggest that if it doesn't affect you while riding, leave it as is and enjoy the wheel.

I'm afraid that's the problem, it has very much affected my riding. I am constantly standing at an angle on the wheel, and feel like I'm bending one leg while holding the other straight and I also get more wobbles from the wheel.

If I had years of experience, I might be able to overcome that, but seeing as I only have 2 months of experience, this is putting serious dent in my riding.

12 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

I'm afraid that's the problem, it has very much affected my riding. I am constantly standing at an angle on the wheel, and feel like I'm bending one leg while holding the other straight and I also get more wobbles from the wheel.

If I had years of experience, I might be able to overcome that, but seeing as I only have 2 months of experience, this is putting serious dent in my riding.

Ah yes, you raise a good point. I've been riding for years so my body naturally adapts to any wheel quite rapidly. I literally can't notice anything.

There are periodic discussions on how to remove bent pedal rods. Sometimes it comes down to cutting it out using a hacksaw for sawzall type tool. You might have to go through a lot of cutting disks, but something like a Dremel might work too.

I have no direct experience myself. Maybe someone else here will chime in with real-world experience.

27 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Hmmm.

I would go with all what @Marty Backe has said. When your photos are accurate...try to overcome the psychological aspect of thinking your pedals are bend.... This looks like a minor damage and when you gain some more driving experience you later will lough about this problem, really. 

I mean,you can go for a repair...but be prepared to buy a new pedalarm, new pedal rod and pedal.

As you decribed the rod is bent, and you have to bore it out of the pedalarm most probably. I done that once on a much more bent Monster and in the end i needed to buy a new pedalarm and and and...

So this also answeres the question if this has happen to others ...Yes, to a lot users! If your EUC crashes in the right angle and hits the pedal while it open...chances are very high for something bent. For me it happend on a so called GW dance with my Monster...not even a crash...just fallen over and then „flipping around“....Voila: Pedalarm, pedal bent...pedal arm loose, axle nuts loose etc etc.

3 hours ago, Cruiser said:

The metal rod that runs in the midle of the pedal is very hard to move

I have been there :P You have to remove (or further loosen) the small middle screw, because the rod has a groove in the middle. Then the rod should basically fall out.

9 hours ago, Mono said:

I have been there :P You have to remove (or further loosen) the small middle screw, because the rod has a groove in the middle. Then the rod should basically fall out.

That probably goes to show how bad my pedal has it. I've removed the two screws at the end and the "tightner" screw under the pedal, but I'm having to use a hammer and screwdriver to try and punch out the metal rod in the pedal. I had to stop half-way because it was getting a bit late, and I felt bad for the my neighbors with the racket I was making. But the sheer brutality I'm having to use to get that metal rod out probably proves how bent the thing is.

I'm most likely looking at having to get a new pedal with rod/screws whatever. In the future I will probably not be going to such lengths, but here at the beginning, it's incredibly frustrating to drive on the wheel when it feels all skewed. It's hard enough as it is already. XD

The bad news is that it's probably not the pedal or the rod which have the most deformation damage but the mount. Otherwise, you could take the opportunity and switch to the V10 pedals, in particular if you are living on big feet.

I've closely studied the mount, and it seems to be fine. I'm having a big hell trying to get the pedal off though. The rod seems to be stuck half-way out.

Guess I've got no choice than to drill the pedal into pieces to get the rod out. Definitely gonna have to buy a new pedal now though.

Okay, finally managed to get the pedal off, but I had to lupe up and beat (heh) the metal rod out of the pedal, that thing just wouldn't let go.

...And seeing how it looked when it came out, I guess I'm not surprised that the pedal looked bent backwards and had a hard time comming out the socket.

Gonna have to get myself a new pedal and attachment I guess. Dont think the socket in the pedal is feeling so well anymore after giving birth to that thing. XD

20190330_133147.jpg

WOW, that must have been some force to bent this 8mm pedal axle. Still, kind-of well designed given the axle is bent and not the mount. I hope you didn't push it out of the mount the wrong way ;)

There should be many V8 owners who have spare pedals and axles lying around (since the V10 pedals are available), so maybe you find one of them close by or go for the V10 pedals anyway.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, Smoother said:

Get a big hammer (at least 1kg) and straighten it out.  You haven't bent it far enough to cause metal fatigue.

Dont think that will do it. Just took off the healthy pedal (much easier than the bad one) to have a look, and when I compared the two I found that the bad pedal had become twisted somehow, along with the metal rod. No fixing that I think. Gonna have to look for new pedal and rod.

20190403_183409.jpg

4 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Dont think that will do it. Just took off the healthy pedal (much easier than the bad one) to have a look, and when I compared the two I found that the bad pedal had become twisted somehow, along with the metal rod. No fixing that I think. Gonna have to look for new pedal and rod.

20190403_183409.jpg

I can't see the twist it this photo, but it's your life and you know best what you are looking at.  A bent pedal is a bad thing because it aluminum and Aluminum does not like to bend; bent aluminum likes to fail.

You're right to change it.

Archived