Small crack on my MSuper X

Mike Sacristan

Hi guys!

After a few spills at 1km/h on ice and snow I finally managed to crack the shell. It's not a big one but I am worried that it might get bigger if I drop it again.
My first thought is using some kind of epoxy to fill the gap and then after that using some kind of strategic padding to prevent similar accidents in the future.
This seems to be a common issue with the MSX shell design and the shell has lost a tiny bit of tension below the cracked area.

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the best way to fix it? Does anybody know what kind of plastic the MSX shell is made of?
Excuse the dirt I was out riding in goo yesterday and this is how it dried. :efee612b4b:

image.png.4effc7a6867b56f304cdf1b07f09a1cb.png

25 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Thank you for the link! I had totally forgotten about spare parts lmao. :efee612b4b:

Still for now I will be happy just gluing it, padding up the points most likely to crack and riding it recklessly. 

Since purchased I have often thought of gluing or attaching some sort of bumpers at what I feel would be points of contact on my Monster shell. I hear the are the most easy to break shell on the market. The miserable cold, rainy weather will past here in the coming weeks and it'll finally start getting ridden more often as a result. With more riding will come drops and crashes it has not yet seen. I would love to prevent that if possible but honestly not sure where to begin.

2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

riding it recklessly

Yeah....

I replaced the shell on the Monster after several thousand kilometers if riding, plus the motor which had become discombobulated at the axle.

The new 'Monster' , with one battery pack containing a bad cell limiting the total charge to about 77%, seems to be working well. Cost aside there are some issues with the locals which arise infrequently which can be frustrating given any cost associated with EUCs.

Used functionally to 'dash' down the road for groceries, a challenge of late with unplowed and frozen solid snow blocking most sidewalks in non real estate areas, I tend to ride later at night on streets less used by traffic at that time.

One of the last rides had one verbal encounter on a residential side street less used. The operator of a pick up truck (and home owner) had attempted to park but his process blocked the road as he turned into place. When I passed him he rolled down his window and began to fight , saying 'you know you're really hard to see'? Without thinking I had made most if the return trip with my head light turned off and actually was planning to turn it on after passing the truck parker.

He sort of carried on about the coolness factor of the Monster but essentially was venting anger. After I announced that I forgot to turn on my headlight and shined the light towards him he went on about the probable cost of the Monster. I replied that I was sure he had spent a great amount of money on the truck.

It was clear we were equally displeased with the verbal encounter and I moved on.

Despite the intent of avoiding traffic, the likely Patriots Football' fan displayed typical hypercritical commentary to be sure his opinion was heard.

In another encounter with a real city street person at the train station in Boston the 'street person' grabbed the handle of my Monster as it stood upright against a nearby wall. Ge was looking for an AC outlet to charge his phone. I said 'don't touch it' since Monsters fall over when turned off and damage certain front/back plastic sections at the head light and tail light. The guy exploded on me going on about it's Boston, don't talk to me like you're something because you're not, going on and on in my face as I sat on the bench. He walked away but came back for more. It would have been tempting to punch his face but at 65 my arm muscle mass is mostly dysfunctional (plus assault and battery consequences) To shake the guy off I shook his hand and off he went.

A less innocent riding encounter happened on another Boston ride where after about 18 miles of riding I moved to the sidewalk along with pedestrians a block from my destination at the train station. A exiting car from a parked in pay lot blocked the sidewalk as he tried to move into the street and everyone on the sidewalk bunched up including me waiting for the car. We all, at a crawls pace, went around the rear of the car. At one point, barely moving, I twisted my upper body to maintain balance and felt my elbow contact an unseen pedestrian rushing from behind. The contact was followed by the young woman saying 'you hit me'!  It was really bad news for me to hear.  I'm assuming she referred to my elbow and not the pedals of the Monster which have taken their toll (black and blue) on my lower legs on other occasions. Seconds later while passing by her and announcing 'on your right' she didn't elicit any more words and walked on as I rode around her on the less crowded sidewalk section.

I now use the road rather than the sidewalk in that area.

'YOU HIT ME'.....I think about that girls comment before attempting to project my ride path onto any sidewalk with pedestrians.

5 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

Since purchased I have often thought of gluing or attaching some sort of bumpers at what I feel would be points of contact on my Monster shell. I hear the are the most easy to break shell on the market. The miserable cold, rainy weather will past here in the coming weeks and it'll finally start getting ridden more often as a result. With more riding will come drops and crashes it has not yet seen. I would love to prevent that if possible but honestly not sure where to begin.

Yes this is pretty much the direction I will be going in as well after gluing/repairing. I would really like to be able to ride it and do trails without worrying about it tipping over at slow speeds and cracking. :efeff54d4a: The whole point of me riding is the feeling of freedom. 

4 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Yeah....

I replaced the shell on the Monster after several thousand kilometers if riding, plus the motor which had become discombobulated at the axle.

The new 'Monster' , with one battery pack containing a bad cell limiting the total charge to about 77%, seems to be working well. Cost aside there are some issues with the locals which arise infrequently which can be frustrating given any cost associated with EUCs.

Used functionally to 'dash' down the road for groceries, a challenge of late with unplowed and frozen solid snow blocking most sidewalks in non real estate areas, I tend to ride later at night on streets less used by traffic at that time.

One of the last rides had one verbal encounter on a residential side street less used. The operator of a pick up truck (and home owner) had attempted to park but his process blocked the road as he turned into place. When I passed him he rolled down his window and began to fight , saying 'you know you're really hard to see'? Without thinking I had made most if the return trip with my head light turned off and actually was planning to turn it on after passing the truck parker.

He sort of carried on about the coolness factor of the Monster but essentially was venting anger. After I announced that I forgot to turn on my headlight and shined the light towards him he went on about the probable cost of the Monster. I replied that I was sure he had spent a great amount of money on the truck.

It was clear we were equally displeased with the verbal encounter and I moved on.

Despite the intent of avoiding traffic, the likely Patriots Football' fan displayed typical hypercritical commentary to be sure his opinion was heard.

In another encounter with a real city street person at the train station in Boston the 'street person' grabbed the handle of my Monster as it stood upright against a nearby wall. Ge was looking for an AC outlet to charge his phone. I said 'don't touch it' since Monsters fall over when turned off and damage certain front/back plastic sections at the head light and tail light. The guy exploded on me going on about it's Boston, don't talk to me like you're something because you're not, going on and on in my face as I sat on the bench. He walked away but came back for more. It would have been tempting to punch his face but at 65 my arm muscle mass is mostly dysfunctional (plus assault and battery consequences) To shake the guy off I shook his hand and off he went.

A less innocent riding encounter happened on another Boston ride where after about 18 miles of riding I moved to the sidewalk along with pedestrians a block from my destination at the train station. A exiting car from a parked in pay lot blocked the sidewalk as he tried to move into the street and everyone on the sidewalk bunched up including me waiting for the car. We all, at a crawls pace, went around the rear of the car. At one point, barely moving, I twisted my upper body to maintain balance and felt my elbow contact an unseen pedestrian rushing from behind. The contact was followed by the young woman saying 'you hit me'!  It was really bad news for me to hear.  I'm assuming she referred to my elbow and not the pedals of the Monster which have taken their toll (black and blue) on my lower legs on other occasions. Seconds later while passing by her and announcing 'on your right' she didn't elicit any more words and walked on as I rode around her on the less crowded sidewalk section.

I now use the road rather than the sidewalk in that area.

'YOU HIT ME'.....I think about that girls comment before attempting to project my ride path onto any sidewalk with pedestrians.

That is some terrible reckless riding Bob!

Jokes aside. I'm really sorry to hear some of the terrible situations you have ended up in. We will always be the ugly ducklings and being nice people even more so. It's either that or time for us to suit up and begin our long awaited vigilante careers!

I have had my share of encounter with rotten people out there but lately I have had more and more encounters with nice people.

4 hours ago, KeithM said:

Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from progressing, then use glue to fill the crack.

4 hours ago, DanCar said:

Epoxy worked well on big crack on my v8.  With harsh treatment has held for several months so far.  I used something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50139-Plastic-Adhesive/dp/B01IBOK7FE

Thank you for these suggestions. I was looking into J-B Weld as well but was a bit unsure as to which one to buy. I will try out the plastic adhesive one.
Drilling the hole sounds like a smart idea as well.

Thanks both of you!

Archived