MSuper X front and rear road lights

My friends, I got two questions relating functioning of the front and rear road lights:

Here is the first one:

If I'm not mistaken there are two ways of turning the front road light on:

1. Using the app

2. Once the wheel is turned on -> shortly pressing the "on/off" button once

Then there are three ways of turning it off:

1. Using the app

2. Shortly pressing numerous (don't even remember how many) times the "on/off" button going through the whole set of colorfull diod arrangements, blinking mode, and so on.

3. Turning the wheel off and then on; it will start again without the front light on.

I personally hate using my phone on the ride so I do not ever use the app during riding! Therefore, in my case turning the front light on and off during the ride is a mess, because I either need to play for some time with the "on/off" button to make it happen and when doing so I accidently miss the right point I got to go through the whole cycle again and possibly again and... you know... again... :wacko:, which, especially if I have my gloves on, is kind'a ridiculous, or I have to stop the wheel, turn it totally off and then on again, which in my opinion is even more ridiculous. So, is there any other way of arranging this process of turning the front road light on and then off some simple way, like pressing the button once to turn it on and then once again to turn it off? In Other words, is it possible to get rid of or to bypass this whole pathetic set of colorful diodes show and blinking modes and just leaving the road light alone to be dealt with once the "on/off" button is shortly pressed? :efef2e0fff:

If it’s that bothersome, you could wire a switch in series with the headlight and mount it outside/integrated with the shell. But there’s no way to do what I think you’re describing with only the on/off button, since that’s software and can’t be changed. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

you could wire a switch in series with the headlight and mount it outside/integrated with the shell

Just to be sure, you suggest installing an additional switch and connecting it to the headlight, right?

Edited by szaroczek

16 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

Just to be sure, you suggest installing an additional switch and connecting it to the headlight, right?

Yeah, along one of the headlight wires. Then you could keep the light on and just toggle it with the switch. But I don't know how many amps/volts go to that light so you may need to do some probing or just go with a bigger switch if you're not sure. But there's no reason it couldn't be done.

My second problem with the lights was how to turn off the rear light which seems to be always on once the wheel is on. And in practice I'd be happy to have it synchronized with the headlight. Well, I believe your project contains the solution to this problem as well because I believe I might connect the rear light in series to the same switch as the headlight and thus turn it on and off alongside with the headlight, is it correct?

In a meantime I found such a switch which is bistable, hermetic, stainless, small, flat, 230v, 2A and costs as much as nothing; I think this would do the trick. 1012336816_przecznikbistabilny.PNG.83d7cc743eb3d8a87ae95ce5c708d301.PNG

Edited by szaroczek

4 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

My second problem with the lights was how to turn off the rear light which seems to be always on once the wheel is on. And in practice I'd be happy to have it synchronized with the headlight. Well, I believe your project contains the solution to this problem as well because I believe I might connect the rear light in series to the same switch as the headlight and thus turn it on and off alongside with the headlight, is it correct?

Yep, the wiring might be a bit more complicated but it's doable. Are you talking about the RGB lights, or the taillight (red when moving, green when stopped)?

In a meantime I found such a switch which is bistable, hermetic, 230v, 2A; I think this would do the trick. 

Looks good!

5 hours ago, szaroczek said:

My friends, I got two questions relating functioning of the front and rear road lights:

Here is the first one:

If I'm not mistaken there are two ways of turning the front road light on:

1. Using the app

2. Once the wheel is turned on -> shortly pressing the "on/off" button once

Then there are three ways of turning it off:

1. Using the app

2. Shortly pressing numerous (don't even remember how many) times the "on/off" button going through the whole set of colorfull diod arrangements, blinking mode, and so on.

3. Turning the wheel off and then on; it will start again without the front light on.

I personally hate using my phone on the ride so I do not ever use the app during riding! Therefore, in my case turning the front light on and off during the ride is a mess, because I either need to play for some time with the "on/off" button to make it happen and when doing so I accidently miss the right point I got to go through the whole cycle again and possibly again and... you know... again... :wacko:, which, especially if I have my gloves on, is kind'a ridiculous, or I have to stop the wheel, turn it totally off and then on again, which in my opinion is even more ridiculous. So, is there any other way of arranging this process of turning the front road light on and then off some simple way, like pressing the button once to turn it on and then once again to turn it off? In Other words, is it possible to get rid of or to bypass this whole pathetic set of colorful diodes show and blinking modes and just leaving the road light alone to be dealt with once the "on/off" button is shortly pressed? :efef2e0fff:

This part confuses me. You don't have to go through some long process to turn the light off.

1. Press once to turn the light on
  2. Press again to make the light blink
  3. Press a 3rd time to turn it off

8 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Are you talking about the RGB lights, or the taillight (red when moving, green when stopped)?

I'm talking about only the tailing red/green, not the Christmas tree childish diodes. :efee8319ab:

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This part confuses me. You don't have to go through some long process to turn the light off.

As far as I remember the process is "long" and there are much more than three modes which involve few of Christmas tree setups... I'll double check it today.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

OK, so, I don't know what type of MSX you got but I wish I had it because my type requires something like... eight (!!!) presses of the "on/of" button to just turn the headlight off when the wheel is on. :wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szaroczek said:

OK, so, I don't know what type of MSX you got but I wish I had it because my type requires something like... eight (!!!) presses of the "on/of" button to just turn the headlight off when the wheel is on. :wacko:

That 8 presses takes 2 seconds it's not really an inconvenience that you need it modded to just a simple on/off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, szaroczek said:

2 hours ago, stephen said:

That 8 presses takes 2 seconds it's not really an inconvenience that you need it modded to just a simple on/off

Is this really true? Both you guys have to press the power button 8-times to turn off your light??? What did Gotway do???

I have an MSX from the first batch and it behaves like the MCM5 and Tesla. You cycle through the different LED modes by tapping the power button 3-times to move to the next LED mode. But the third button press always turns off the headlight.

I need to hear from some other MSX owners on this one.

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is this really true? Both you guys have to press the power button 8-times to turn off your light???

No mine turns off at the 3rd press also but still has some multicoloured lights on ,what @szaroczek means is to get all the lights off main beam and including the multicoloured ones he has to cycle through for a complete off

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, stephen said:

No mine turns off at the 3rd press also but still has some multicoloured lights on ,what @szaroczek means is to get all the lights off main beam and including the multicoloured ones he has to cycle through for a complete off

Oh, I see. I thought he was only talking about the headlight.

BTW, the MSX remembers your last LED mode setting. So if you turn off all the LEDs via the 8-button presses, you don't have to do that again.

Edited by Marty Backe

9 hours ago, stephen said:

You are kidding here, right...? :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, I see. I thought he was only talking about the headlight.

Actually I was talking only about the headlight, except for me the job is not done if the headlight is off but some other rear or front color diodes light or blink or whatever... 

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, the MSX remembers your last LED mode setting. So if you turn off all the LEDs via the 8-button presses, you don't have to do that again.

Even if it does, it remembers only what to start with; to turn the headlight off you ALWAYS have to go through the whole cycle of eight or nine button presses... Isn't it idiotic Gotway setup! :confused1:

23 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

You are kidding here, right...? :rolleyes:

Actually I was talking only about the headlight, except for me the job is not done if the headlight is off but some other rear or front color diodes light or blink or whatever... 

Even if it does, it remembers only what to start with; to turn the headlight off you ALWAYS have to go through the whole cycle of eight or nine button presses... Isn't it idiotic Gotway setup! :confused1:

Now I'm getting even more confused :confused1:

The following scenario works for me:

1. I cycle through the LED modes until I'm in the state where all the colored LEDs are off.
  2. I turn off the wheel.
  3. A week later, I grab the MSX, turn it on, and there are no colored LEDs lit and the headlamp is off
  4. I go for a long ride and it starts getting dark. I reach down, tap the power button, and the headlamp turns on. Still no colored LEDs.
  5. I continue having fun riding in the dark.
  6. I come to a grocery store where I want to trolley the wheel inside while I buy something. I reach down and tap the button two times, resulting in the headlamp being off. The colored LED's are off.
  7. I leave the grocery store and want to turn the headlamp on again. The next step is important. I reach down and long-press the power button to turn the wheel off. I then immediately turn the wheel on. A few seconds have expired. I tap the button button again to turn on the headlamp and continue on my way. Still no colored lights or cycling through 8-button presses.

I honestly ride with my MSX, Tesla, and MCM5 all the time, turning the headlamp on and off as needed without ever having to change my default colored LED setting.

Gotway Colored LED Control Logic

After you turn on the wheel, the colored LED mode will only change when you go from the flashing headlamp to off and then to on. 

So if you ever go for a ride where you turn the headlamp on and then off, and you want to turn it back on, you must briefly turn off the wheel before turning the headlamp on again.

It's never been a problem for me and I certainly never have to cycle through all the LEDs modes as you describe it.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

The Z10 is the only wheel I know of which allows you to easily ride in total stealth mode. No headlamp, rear light/brake light, and no side LEDs.

Edited by Marty Backe

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So if you ever go for a ride where you turn the headlamp on and then off, and you want to turn it back on, you must briefly turn off the wheel before turning the headlamp on again.

It's never been a problem for me and I certainly never have to cycle through all the LEDs modes as you describe it.

Come on, man! Are you serious? Doesn't this really look to you as the most ridiculous procedure ever?!!! To have to turn the wheel off and on again to properly control the headlight...? Would you imagine of doing so with you Toyota Corolla, that is stopping the car and turning the engine on and off to be able to change your light...??? To me this is total crap! I honestly can't believe you find this sequence acceptable! :blink1: Anyhow, as far as I am concerned I am on a mission to end it ASAP by means of the switch I posted a picture of in my post above. And I'm going to mess with the rear light too to try to get rid of the green and leave only red and only when the headlight in on! If any of you have any clues as to how to deal with the rear light to fix it the way I've just described, your suggestions are very welcome. :)

Edited by szaroczek
  • Like 1

I still can't see a problem it takes seconds to go through the sequence from on to a complete off,,8 presses,,, 

I mean how many times a day would you want to do this are you a compulsive headlight messer, for me i just leave it where it is and if it gets dark i turn it on, 5/6 seconds of my day 😏 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, stephen said:

I still can't see a problem it takes seconds to go through the sequence from on to a complete off,,8 presses,,, 

Never mind. You have your right to enjoy going through the sequence of eight button-pushes (and being very careful of not making it nine which would force you to repeating the whole procedure all over again) on an attempt of turning you headlight off, I personally hate it, find it crazy, will never consider it as a right way of controlling the headlight in my wheel and that's not about to change. After all, all that matters is you are happy now and I hope to be soon. Because thanks to @Nick McCutcheon I got a nice solution which is already put into action. :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

If you use DarknessBot

Actually I don't; just learnt this app ever existed. Then, as I mentioned, I don't use wheel app's on riding as a rule - only to perform setup if necessary.

20 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

turn on the automatic torch the light will come on just before dark. 

... providing, if it uses light sensor for this function, the phone does not rest deep in your pocket... :rolleyes: 

45 minutes ago, szaroczek said:

Actually I don't; just learnt this app ever existed. Then, as I mentioned, I don't use wheel app's on riding as a rule - only to perform setup if necessary.

... providing, if it uses light sensor for this function, the phone does not rest deep in your pocket... :rolleyes: 

No, it is a smart app. It turns on 30 - 40 minutes before sunset and turns off 30 - 40 minutes after sunrise. As long as the app is connected it works automatically. It works very well but I understand that you do not use apps. I have an old IPhone 6+ that I keep just for the app. This way I don’t worry about killing my phone battery or breaking my real phone. ( As a backup phone I can also call 911 without phone service if I had to)

I use a “Survivor” phone case and have already dropped the phone on the street at 30 MPH once. No damage.