Adding an Extra Layer of D30 Protective Padding

3 hours ago, BruceCLin said:

I think that basically describes a track suit/jacket. Most of the higher end one consist of D3O or similar proprietary material at mentioned locations, TPU/nylon/metal shell/slider. My 10 year old track jacket has most of those features. But I don't wear that while riding a wheel as it's simply to cumbersome for the condition I am riding.

Ah, ok...something like this then? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-missile-race-suit-for-tech-air-race?rrec=true

Oh wow, guess that suit goes with this thing: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-tech-air-race-vest?rrec=true

Expensive! But the way it inflates is pretty awesome.

(Sorry if this old news, I'm new to all this protective wear..as is obvious, i'm sure)

Edited by manieuc

4 hours ago, manieuc said:

Yeah, something like that. But besides it being hard to live with in a day to day with the wheel, it's also not optimized for our riding pose. It's designed and cut to fit well in a hunched over, bent arm, bent knee pose. It's not comfortable standing up in at all. I know there are places that do custom track suit. Maybe custom making one that fits a euc riding position is possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manieuc said:

Oh wow, guess that suit goes with this thing: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-tech-air-race-vest?rrec=true

Expensive! But the way it inflates is pretty awesome.

(Sorry if this old news, I'm new to all this protective wear..as is obvious, i'm sure)

Holy crap man, its a unicycle, not a track bike. If you've been a moto racer at all, you already know that wearing a full track suit is a bitch. Of course you also know that you're going to fall off at 60mph and get run over by someone doing 90mph. Look into lighter weight gear that still carries d30 armor. You can always buy standard pants (baggy) and add some GREAT knee pads in them. The best padding is the one that fits best. I have pads in my mesh pants, but Im not lying to myself and thinking they are as good as knee pads strapped to my knees. Same with elbows and the like.  Winter gear is easier as you are wearing layers anyhow. Cotton and basic nylon doesnt hold up very well in a slide, but when you wear 4 layers of it and your slide is at 20mph... well, you get the gist. Most important is to have gear that isnt such a bitch to wear, that you don't. It has to fit. Expensive ill fitting gear is shit, in compare to cheap fitting gear.  My pants and jacket are designed for light duty morotcycle (its my supermoto gear), but its honestly too light for any real street moto use. I use it for my euc now, as an euc is basically 'light street use" w/o the 200lbs bike crushing me on the way down. Broken collar bones and legs are hard to avoid, no matter what gear you fit on.  I'd suggest snagging some flexmeters, some scott knee pads, a cheap brain bucket, and just gather pieces as you go. Look into bicycle gear and skateboard gear, as it more closely resembles our sport, than street/track racing does. If you buy a decent jacket, itll have pockets. Invest in the d30 armor that fits. When you wind up with multiple jackets, you can easily swap the armor. My jackets wear out, LONG before the d30 seems to. Of course, my all time favorite gear is a t-shirt, blue jeans, sunglasses and a smoke.:eff034a94a:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 2/17/2019 at 2:39 AM, Marty Backe said:

Getting injured sucks!  :( 

This may be a bit overkill, but it is probably worth looking into it for riders who already suffered injuries and need some extra protection. With the Sherman now being out on the streets it might be worth thinking about an airbag system like this when touring in high speed traffic (which I don’t suggest to do 😝!) Guys who have the bucks to buy a Sherman, can and should probably spend 1/3 of the wheels price for safety equipment. I already ordered myself a new helmet and some cool gloves 🧤

0B9418ED-584A-401F-9416-78086A1CCDAD.jpeg

A8E0A0E1-44EC-4C4E-98FF-C75B9404E203.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BruceCLin said:

Yeah, something like that. But besides it being hard to live with in a day to day with the wheel, it's also not optimized for our riding pose. It's designed and cut to fit well in a hunched over, bent arm, bent knee pose. It's not comfortable standing up in at all. I know there are places that do custom track suit. Maybe custom making one that fits a euc riding position is possible.

Makes sense, thanks!

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Holy crap man, its a unicycle, not a track bike. If you've been a moto racer at all, you already know that wearing a full track suit is a bitch. 

Haha, yeah, never been into moto (clearly)...unfortunately just been reading too many injury threads the past couple of days  has me paranoid, especially agronick & rehab's. We all have our own decisions to make with how much risk is ok for our situations...I'm the lone income earner in a family of 4 so I'm good with ATGATT even if it takes extra time to gear up...even then that might not be enough. The tracksuit isn't the answer though. Oh well, have to give it some more thought..maybe I'll just stop reading so much!

Actually...let me go read up on AFLAC, maybe that's the best solution...

Edited by manieuc