Adding an Extra Layer of D30 Protective Padding

I am surprised your shoulder was injured as you seemed to take that fall pretty well and roll out of it, and you were also wearing protection. I don't want to overdo it with protective gear as it kind of takes away from the convenience aspect of riding a EUC.

• Like 3

@Rehab1, I am surprised also, considering that your roll looked very well executed, reminds me of Judo in my youth! I hope the appointment with the Ortho on Monday goes well!

Edited by ED209
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I had a fall a few weeks ago and screwed up my right shoulder. I see ortho on Monday for a one year post op xray on the left shoulder so I’ll have the surgeon look at it.

I have decided to add another layer of protection to my XElement CF380 jacket. I was able piggy back the existing protective padding with Icon D30 shoulder and elbow pads. 

47059667862_3c240e4912_b.jpg47059672122_4e6a5d3d67_b.jpg32169967127_4e07c3e02d_b.jpg32169965987_e4fe92a944_b.jpg32169967537_2dceba7f99_b.jpg46198914695_80a75ba47f_b.jpg

Getting injured sucks!  :( 

D30 padding is always an excellent choice for impact protection. I hope that your checkup brings encouraging news. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

D30 padding is always an excellent choice for impact protection. I hope that your checkup brings encouraging news. 

Thanks. Unfortunately an X-ray won’t diagnose a soft tissue injury only an MRI. If I agree to that procedure then my wife will find out. Empirically ortho ( and insurance) will send patients to therapy first which I can perform. I just want the surgeon’s impression. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ED209 said:

@Rehab1, I am surprised also considering that your roll looked very well executed, reminds me of Judo in my youth! I hope the appointment with the Ortho on Monday goes well!

I’m surprised as well. The frozen ground was harder than I thought. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Nic said:

I am surprised your shoulder was injured as you seemed to take that fall pretty well and roll out of it, and you were also wearing protection. I don't want to overdo it with protective gear as it kind of takes away from the convenience aspect of riding a EUC.

It just hurts when I extend my arm in front of me. I thought it would pass. I have an appointment anyway so I’ll just have the surgeon take a look. I’ll just tell him I slipped on some ice. 

The additional D30 pads are not overwhelming and don’t restrict any motion. The ease of slipping on the coat remains the same.

15 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You need to wait until your wife is in another room, but in ear shot.  Maybe you in the basement repairing the flood damage, then, when she's not looking, make a hell of a racket, throw a few ladders on their side, maybe throw a pot of paint in the air for good measure, then drop to the ground and roll around like you just fell off the ladder.  Wait until she enters the room, then get up (now this is important) claim no injury.  You must wait until the next morning to "realize" some injury occured, but even, then, keep it light.  If you claim injury immediately, she might smell a rat.  By claiming, initially, no injury, the scam is disguised.

You're welcome ;)

And next time there's 3" of snow in the yard, either stay inside, or don't lean into the corners, snow has a low sheer factor.

Your a brother from a different mother. :cheers:  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I had a fall a few weeks ago and screwed up my right shoulder. I see ortho on Monday for a one year post op xray on the left shoulder so I’ll have the surgeon look at it.

I have decided to add another layer of protection to my XElement CF380 jacket. I was able piggy back the existing protective padding with Icon D30 shoulder and elbow pads. 

Getting injured sucks!  :( 

:o

I remember that video and commenting on it. You never mentioned anything about hurting the shoulder - I guess you're afraid of us in addition to your wife :laughbounce2:

Hope it's nothing that can't be cured with time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately an X-ray won’t diagnose a soft tissue injury only an MRI. If I agree to that procedure then my wife will find out. Empirically ortho ( and insurance) will send patients to therapy first which I can perform. I just want the surgeon’s impression. 

Pretend like you injured yourself doing something for her :D👍.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

You need to wait until your wife is in another room, but in ear shot.  Maybe you in the basement repairing the flood damage, then, when she's not looking, make a hell of a racket, throw a few ladders on their side, maybe throw a pot of paint in the air for good measure, then drop to the ground and roll around like you just fell off the ladder.  Wait until she enters the room, then get up (now this is important) claim no injury.  You must wait until the next morning to "realize" some injury occured, but even, then, keep it light.  If you claim injury immediately, she might smell a rat.  By claiming, initially, no injury, the scam is disguised.

You're welcome ;)

And next time there's 3" of snow in the yard, either stay inside, or don't lean into the corners, snow has a low sheer factor.

I just noticed that you beat me me to this suggestion. Shame on us for suggesting @Rehab1 deceive his wife :D

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I just noticed that you beat me me to this suggestion. Shame on us for suggesting @Rehab1 deceive his wife :D

Nonsense, We're trying to preserve the harmony in the marriage, by allowing Dan to continue doing what he loves, without his wife worrying about him.  You wouldn't want her to worry would you?  We're just buying some time until Dan realizes he's not 18 anymore, and shaves the rough edges off his riding style. Bloody decent of us if you ask me.:rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Nonsense, We're trying to preserve the harmony in the marriage, by allowing Dan to continue doing what he loves, without his wife worrying about him.  You wouldn't want her to worry would you?  We're just buying some time until Dan realizes he's not 18 anymore, and shaves the rough edges off his riding style. Bloody decent of us if you ask me.:rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah. That's the ticket. Damn skippy that's what we're doing :efee8319ab:👍

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I must admit, it didn't look like a nasty fall at all!

I have an issue with my shoulder currently. Over a year ago, I was climbing down from the steps of an articulated tractor unit (a 'rig' in the USA?!) I had my right hand on the rail holding on as I went, but the one foot which was on the step slipped off. Before I had time to tense my shoulder (we can all hang off one arm right) my bodyweight fell. My grip on the rail was strong enough to prevent me from falling to the ground, but my entire weight fell a distance of about 8", pulling onto a shoulder that wasn't ready for it. There was massive instant pain and tbh I thought I had broken something. I managed to move it around a bit after though and thought I got lucky.

Over the next couple of weeks it got considerably worse though, with reduction in movement as time went on. I went to the Dr and he said that nothing was broken but that I had 'Frozen Shoulder'. Never even heard of it before. It's basically when the rotator cuff get subjected to X amount of trauma and the joint starts to painfully freeze up from inflammation. I could barely pull my pants up or get an arm behind my back. Annoyingly, the Dr said it was one of those injuries where I would have been better off breaking something, as frozen shoulder can often take 18 months to clear, if not longer. I lived with it for another couple of months but it got too much and was really getting in the way of general life stuff. I ended up having two hydrocortisone injections directly into the cuff, 2 weeks apart. Jesus that smarted a bit (especially the first), but the difference was unbelievable. I was made up.

However, as time has gone on the injection effect has worn off and, around 6 months after the injections, I still have issues with pain when sleeping on it, restriction of movement and just general movement. Neither can I do press-ups for example. It's not affecting my life enough for me to go back and get some more injections, but I think it will be another good 6 months before I am anything back to how it was pre-injury. Very, very annoying for such a simple mistake but I never forget that some people get far worse injuries so I guess I am lucky after all.

I am going to have to be real careful on the EUC when it arrives. If I fall on this shoulder again prior to healing it may well put me back a year :( I have actually considered not getting on it at all for 6 months but the Force is strong with this one.

Consider getting some hard body armor for the shoulders. It's amazing how effective it is. Not super comfortable to put on and wear, but you feel very protected.

• Like 1

Thanks Marty, I already have an armoured SixSixOne under- jacket with shoulder/elbow/chest and spine protection which I will use. It won't stop a sudden jar to my arm if I fall onto my hands though. That's the risk, but I just know I will still take it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I have an issue with my shoulder currently. Over a year ago, I was climbing down from the steps of an articulated tractor unit (a 'rig' in the USA?!) I had my right hand on the rail holding on as I went, but the one foot which was on the step slipped off. Before I had time to tense my shoulder (we can all hang off one arm right) my bodyweight fell. My grip on the rail was strong enough to prevent me from falling to the ground, but my entire weight fell a distance of about 8", pulling onto a shoulder that wasn't ready for it. There was massive instant pain and tbh I thought I had broken something. I managed to move it around a bit after though and thought I got lucky.

Over the next couple of weeks it got considerably worse though, with reduction in movement as time went on. I went to the Dr and he said that nothing was broken but that I had 'Frozen Shoulder'. Never even heard of it before. It's basically when the rotator cuff get subjected to X amount of trauma and the joint starts to painfully freeze up from inflammation. I could barely pull my pants up or get an arm behind my back. Annoyingly, the Dr said it was one of those injuries where I would have been better off breaking something, as frozen shoulder can often take 18 months to clear, if not longer. I lived with it for another couple of months but it got too much and was really getting in the way of general life stuff. I ended up having two hydrocortisone injections directly into the cuff, 2 weeks apart. Jesus that smarted a bit (especially the first), but the difference was unbelievable. I was made up.

However, as time has gone on the injection effect has worn off and, around 6 months after the injections, I still have issues with pain when sleeping on it, restriction of movement and just general movement. Neither can I do press-ups for example. It's not affecting my life enough for me to go back and get some more injections, but I think it will be another good 6 months before I am anything back to how it was pre-injury. Very, very annoying for such a simple mistake but I never forget that some people get far worse injuries so I guess I am lucky after all.

I am going to have to be real careful on the EUC when it arrives. If I fall on this shoulder again prior to healing it may well put me back a year :( I have actually considered not getting on it at all for 6 months but the Force is strong with this one.

Sounds like what must have happened to my shoulder at the gym about a year ago. Still hasn't healed. I was doing heavy cable pull downs. I let the bar go too fast when I finished my set. I should have let it go, but I didn't want the plates to crash down as that particular machine spends too much time out of service as it is. I held on to the falling bar; a move I still regret. Got an X-ray. Nothing was broken so I figured that I would just let it heal; still hasn't. At least not fully anyway. 

• Like 2

Hi Lutalo, yep very much sounds like it. A sudden jar is often the culprit. The only good news is that my Dr did say that they always eventually heal and go back to full movement (unlike say a ligament injury), it's just the time required. He also said that the injury is far more common - by something like 50% if I remember - in diabetics (which I'm not).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Over the next couple of weeks it got considerably worse though, with reduction in movement as time went on. I went to the Dr and he said that nothing was broken but that I had 'Frozen Shoulder'.

I have had frozen shoulder before. A fair number of people can get it simply from office work done with bad ergonomics.  Took me quite a long time to get over it too.  Probably something like the year and a half your doctor spoke of.

Watch out with those cortisone shots.  Supposedly they are not very good for the body.  Some doctors refuse to give them after a certain number, because of that.

My mother got through her frozen shoulder with rehab-recommended flexibility exercises like putting her fingertips on the wall and then using her fingers to slowly walk, so to speak, her hand up the wall, a couple of times a day.  She had been in a lot of pain, but said it rapidly helped her healing.  You might want to try that if you haven't already.  It's not completely pain-free, but then rehab rarely is.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Consider getting some hard body armor for the shoulders. It's amazing how effective it is. Not super comfortable to put on and wear, but you feel very protected.

When I was a teenager I took a header over my bike's handlebars and landed on my shoulder. Was going very fast downhill, and wow did that hurt.  Had my arm in a sling for a few weeks.  Anyway I can testify that there certainly is a place for shoulder protection!  Nobody wore any protection back in those days ...

Rehab1, I'm surprised that you got hurt there too.  The fall looked pretty benign.  Then again, Natasha Richardson died from falling down in the snow, and Gary Busey got bad head injuries from being on his bike while it was parked.  We humans are fragile.

We also get more fragile with age, unfortunately.  We have to compensate by being extra careful.  

Good luck with the doctor visit!  

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

remember that video and commenting on it. You never mentioned anything about hurting the shoulder - I guess you're afraid of us in addition to your wife :laughbounce2:

Hope it's nothing that can't be cured with time.

Yes sometimes I have the uncomfortable realization of being too proud and just working through the pain.... just like you.:facepalm: :) I’ll be fine. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Do all of us think alike? :ph34r: Brothers forever!

3 hours ago, Nic said:

Z10 going cheap, perhaps?:popcorn:

No way. Been there...done that.:) 

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

No it wasn’t bad at all. Thinking back I feel off a porch 5 years ago and landed on the same shoulder. It took a year to heal so I probably pissed off the ‘joint’ again. That’s what I need...a medicinal doobie.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes that’s why I decided to double up on the body armor. 

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Got an X-ray. Nothing was broken so I figured that I would just let it heal; still hasn't. At least not fully anyway. 

Ligimentous and muscle tears can be worse than breaks. Fractures also heel faster. 

43 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Good luck with the doctor visit!  

Thanks!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

We also get more fragile with age, unfortunately.  We have to compensate by being extra careful.  

You know.  I looked up getting older and being extra careful. It was the darndest thing.  It said middle aged men who want to be extra careful should learn to ride an electric unicycle.  Seriously! I am not making this up. ok.  It's 100% false

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

No it wasn’t bad at all. Thinking back I feel off a porch 5 years ago and landed on the same shoulder. It took a year to heal so I probably pissed off the ‘joint’ again. That’s what I need...a medicinal doobie.

Damn.  Lets see, TWO helicopter crashes, THREE damaged shoulders, and probably a shipload more you haven't told us about.  You should change your screen name to Calamity Dan :(

If we ever meet, I'll remember not to stand too close in case you/we get hit by lightning, on a clear blue day.

How the f..k do you fall off a porch?  I'm pssing myself laughing at the image in my head.:roflmao: something like this comes to mind

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1