Custom wheel frame/shell

esaj

AD0 seems to be a address selection PIN, so in theory you could maybe attach two MPUs at the same time:

I2C ADDRESS

AD0 = 0 1101000
AD0 = 1 1101001

For INT it depends on the controller, but I would somehow guess that the workflow of calculating balance in a wheel makes it not necessary to let the MPU be the triggering part for starting calculations, so my guess is you will likely not need it.

Redundant MPUs? That's the Fjutschär, baby! :D

Thanks for your clarification, @jayjay23. At that level, my spotty knowledge leads me on very thin ice...

Looking good! If you ever want to take some cross country trips ala Ugo, Looks like it wouldn't take much to also rig up a simple saddle / seat setup. So you can sit down for those times when you want to give your feet a break. Probably one of the features I like most about the KS 18" B)

• Upvote 1

Looking good! If you ever want to take some cross country trips ala Ugo, Looks like it wouldn't take much to also rig up a simple saddle / seat setup. So you can sit down for those times when you want to give your feet a break. Probably one of the features I like most about the KS 18" B)

When I was a kid, I had a bicycle with a saddle like this:

Stradabfor1.jpg

Would be probably pretty good for the wheel also  ;)  (Then just add a fixed handle bar and it's a cheap Ryno-clone :D).

• Upvote 2

Nice build ;) But go and buy a welding machine to weld the frame.

I already cheaped out on a 65 euro (around 74USD) miter-saw blade for aluminum cutting and cut them all by hand with a hacksaw instead :D Welding machine would cost a lot more, especially suitable for aluminum welding (and I haven't done any welding since I tried a little bit with my fathers' machine when I was a kid, so I'd have to learn that first too). Had I used steel for material, my neighbor could have probably welded the frame (but I understood his machine is not suitable for aluminum, it will probably just melt the bars or not make proper seams).

Nice! Did you ride it yet?

Just did some laps between two streets for about half an hour, maybe couple of kilometers worth (it's about 2-300m back and forth, didn't count how many times I went around), mostly to get the battery voltage lower, as I'm still a bit paranoid about them (still have the issue of cut out if the voltage raises too high during regenerative braking). No cut outs, falls or unintentional dismounts. Didn't take it into any really fast speeds either, but I did do some faster accelerations (not really fast, but fast ;)), and I think I might have been close to hit the first warning speed (18km/h) at one point, but didn't get it to start and ran out of space. I don't wan't to try to outlean it either, as it's probably easier with the wheel being more top-heavy  :D  

As for the rideability, it clearly is a different beast. With my knees touching the sides of the shell, it needs a bit of a different foot position than I normally have (feet turned more outwards). Couple of times during hitting smaller bumps, it felt that it "over-corrects" a bit (compared to original Firewheel), which I suspect is due to the mainboard being further away from the axle (the accelerometer will detect more powerful accelerations). Doing really tight circles will take lots of practice, but I can still turn it fairly tight by moving my knees away from the wheel body and doing the tilting it with my ankles while pushing down the pedal on the side I want to turn to. Also moving my feet on the pedals during riding is really easy, as the wheel will lean on the leg/knee of the side where my weight is. Overall the riding feel is really stable so far (of course it helps there are four battery packs that can give out 40A continuous / 80A max, translating into about 2.4kW / 4.8kW). The real test will be later tonight, after I take it out to the hiking paths.

I hastily padded the wheel a bit before I started to ride it, in case it would slam to the concrete during this first test :P:

GPgvQZe.jpg

Pretty, eh? :D  Still need to add a flashlight to the front before I venture further. Also I put the strap around it and taped it so that it can't fall to the tire/motor, but I definitely need to make some more fixed handle. Moving it around with the strap alone doesn't work, and I pushing it crouched isn't fun ;)

You should totally trick it out! Darken the wood, coppercolor the aluminium add a few skulls and chains and the steampunk coffinwheel extraoridinaire is born! \m/

I plan on making separate shells for it later, like I've stated in the above posts.

We like to see you take a ride ;)

I probably could get some footage while riding on the lit street, but in the dark forest paths, the video would probably show nothing but a dim light from the flashlight (I've tried shooting videos in the dark earlier, but you can't see pretty much anything from those). It gets dark after 6PM here this late in the fall, and I usually stop working between 6 and 7PM (I like to sleep late, and having flexible hours & working from home has its perks ;)). I'll see if I get anything shot tonight (it's already 9:20PM here), might be that I'll wait 'til tomorrow so I can do it during the day light.

Also, got the notice that the first light of the two I ordered (I ordered them separately, as then they stay below the minimum price that customs rates are charged for :D) has arrived in the post office, but haven't picked it up yet. This should help riding in the dark paths:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-125W-3000LM-Cree-U7-Car-Motorcycles-LED-Fog-Light-DRL-Blue-Circle-Universal-LED-Driving/32462932543.html  That was actually pretty fast, ordered on 4th, was shipped on 6th and now it's already here  :)  The other light is from the same seller, but comes with a switch (was about 0.30€ more expensive), and took one with white "ring"-light and the other with red. Don't know which one has arrived.

Edited by esaj

I did take it for a spin in the forest yesterday, but didn't shoot any video... I kept the speed pretty low at all times, no problems with bumps and holes otherwise, except when hitting a more "sharp" obstacle, like a rock poking out of the ground. When the wheel tilts forwards, the reaction is... almost violent :D   It really rips itself back to upright. I guess this is due to both the center of gravity being high (it tilts forward more easily when the wheel gets "blocked" by something for a split second, like the more upright side of a rock), and the mainboard being much farther away from the axle, so the accelerometer gets much higher readings than before. Might have to re-design a bit, so I could bring the mainboard closer to the wheel, or maybe I should go even as far as redesigning the frame somewhat so I could get the batteries and the mainboard next to the wheel (that would also bring the center of gravity down).

In other news, I picked up the lights today. 

NcUoqxS.jpgC1bT92i.jpg

They're powered directly from the original Firewheel batteries here. Oh, and the room is fully lit, but the lights are apparently bright enough to make it otherwise look dark with the photos. Otherwise nice, except:

-There are three wires (red, black and yellow) coming from the lights, and no instructions what the yellow wire is for, there's supposedly "high", "low" and "strobe" beam modes here, but don't know in which one they are now (well, definitely not strobe) and if and how the yellow wire is used to change the mode (I could of course just try to connect it to ground or positive wire ;)
-The one with colored outer "ring" was supposed to be red and not green
-Another one of those was supposed to come with an on/off switch, but neither did

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

Otherwise nice, except:

-There are three wires (red, black and yellow) coming from the lights, and no instructions what the yellow wire is for, there's supposedly "high", "low" and "strobe" beam modes here, but don't know in which one they are now (well, definitely not strobe) and if and how the yellow wire is used to change the mode (I could of course just try to connect it to ground or positive wire ;)
-The one with colored outer "ring" was supposed to be red and not green
-Another one of those was supposed to come with an on/off switch, but neither did

Let's add to the list that the one with the white circle light stopped working after the first try (the main light no longer lights up <_<). Yeah, my usual luck, as always.

I did, however, figure out the logic of the wires with the other light. With the yellow wire attached to positive source and black on the ground, only the circle light and a single red led inside the main light light up. With red & black connected to power source, it's those + the main light.

Now, if the other light was the right color (red) I wanted in the first place, I could use this as rear- or brake-light by using the yellow wire. But it's green. I could also use the other light for front "notification" light when riding in the public, similarly just by powering the circle light, and maybe even the low beam could be "dim" enough not to blind anyone, so I could use it on roads ;). But as the main light on the one with white circle light doesn't work, no go. Also, the circle light cannot be turned off, it's always burning. Already sent the seller a message what to do about the lights, no sense in sending them back as it's going to cost more than the lights did in total with shipping. :P Hopefully they'll either refund or send replacements, if not, I'll dispute it and hit 1 star reviews with full details on them. I still can use the green one off road, as there it won't matter as much that the color isn't what it supposed to be (only white light to front allowed).

Also figured that the light-mode changing happens simply by turning the light on and off. First on: high beam, second: low beam, third: strobe. Then it starts again from high beam. So I'll have to trigger them on and off to get the mode I want at times. At first I was a bit confused how I got it to start strobing suddenly, but after flicking it on and off for a while, it was pretty obvious :D

Edited by esaj

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, OliverH said:

Any news on the project?

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on this the last couple of weeks, just dismantled the electronics/battery casing. The next step is to build a new separate casing for the mainboard, so I can place it closer to the tire (about the same position as it is in the original shell), and to see if it helps with the "overreaction" of the accelerometer. Also, I've got parts for the batteries now, so I should be able to get them working so that they no longer shut off during braking even when charged to full, which is nice too, won't have to be so worried about braking with fuller batteries :P  If after that the center of gravity is still too high, I'll have to redesign the frame further, so I can place the batteries somewhere lower.

The roads have already been somewhat icy sometimes in the mornings (I think we already had first snow by this time last year), as the temperature has been dipping below freezing during some nights, might have to start getting parts for battery heating & building a studded tire, if I want to test it...

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I saw on vee's latest vid that there is some sugarcoating on his dirt-track already

I am thinking of getting a threaded tire myself, since I will be riding on the snow and over wet forest paths..

Good luck on the relocating of the mobo!

Edited by Jag_Rip
  • Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/21/2015 at 12:00 AM, esaj said:

The simplicity of a taller "box" is also an option, that way it would be fairly easy to stuff everything on top of the tire, kinda like vee has done with the MSuper:

13872986.jpg

What is the thickness of the shell at the point of contact with the legs? And how comfortable was it to ride with such a thickness?

• 5 months later...

I made one of these?

It's based off the Bel y Bel  Z One custom monowheel, but with slightly different era Vespa panels. And a different EUC inside it.  Mine has a KS18xl.

It's Vespa Vbb panels kitbashed onto a fibreglass and steel frame.

I felt it corners too aggressively, so I'm currently turning it into a reverse tripod.104304644_175984083882477_35533454731869