Wheel leaning to the right

Siggy

Hey guys, 

recently noticed a strange phenomenon whilst riding the wheel. It’s a KS18L, and when cruising I can feel there is a slight right favoured lean. 

This is not on the pedal adjustment software but to do with the pedal pillars. Previously I believed it was because the inner tube had moved off line from the tire/rim and needed balancing.

Contacted my seller and they mentioned about adjusting those pillars. After measurement I can see there is a discrepancy. 

The right side ~ 2.2mm whereas the left is ~1.8mm. 

Have tried adjusting the hex screws but they are in so tight that it doesn’t even move. 

Has anyone had experience with this and managed to fix? The wheel is rideable but it’s just slightly annoying with my OCD. 

1A9465E2-1135-496D-9E6E-B5907E345C02.jpeg

84393BA0-E277-40D8-8E15-185CA9DB0867.jpeg

Are you confused between mm and cm?  If you are talking about mm, don’t understand why such a small difference would do anything.  Have you tried riding with the wheel turned around to see if you have the opposite lean?  I don’t think .4mm would cause any lean at all since you can’t really expect anyone to believe that your stance doesn’t vary by more than that.  Your stance would be what I would look at if your wheel has a tendency to “lean”.  Maybe you, like most riders, putting too much weight on your dominant leg.  

I'd get that fixed; even a small difference can be picked up by most riders. You can confirm this by randomly and blindly reversing your wheel (you spin your wheel without looking at it, then ride it without looking down). I'd bet you'd instantly tell which way the wheel is pointing.

You have to get that hex screw off safely. Electric impact wrench or tapping the hex screwdriver with a metal (not rubber) hammer may work. Make absolutely sure you're unscrewing it and not screwing it tighter (I'm guilty of that when I had to use my left hand while on my back trying to get these brake calipers off...ping...and that screw broke).

Again, get that hex screw off and make that wheel perfect.

@eddiemoy Thanks mate, being a learner DIYer I agree, wouldn’t expect this small difference to have such a prominent effect. 

Re: stance - have tried several and still feel it. Additionally when relubed inner tube and tire, everything centred temporarily. 

@LanghamP Cheers for your advice! Tried metal hammer and wd40. 

Also felt may be unscrewing wrong direction (as KS can ride either way - and KS18L mudguard is mounted on wrong side) however the bad boy is not moving either direction.

Next, will put back together and not difference riding in “reverse”

Sadly my seller has been unresponsive for the past two weeks so I’m not happy. They offer a door to door servicing option but it’s not much help if you can’t use it!

Has anyone had a similar alignment situation - basically want to know if i’m even unscrewing the right thing ? 

maybe resident KS expert @US69can shed light on this 

1 hour ago, Siggy said:

@eddiemoy Thanks mate, being a learner DIYer I agree, wouldn’t expect this small difference to have such a prominent effect. 

Re: stance - have tried several and still feel it. Additionally when relubed inner tube and tire, everything centred temporarily. 

@LanghamP Cheers for your advice! Tried metal hammer and wd40. 

Also felt may be unscrewing wrong direction (as KS can ride either way - and KS18L mudguard is mounted on wrong side) however the bad boy is not moving either direction.

Next, will put back together and not difference riding in “reverse”

Sadly my seller has been unresponsive for the past two weeks so I’m not happy. They offer a door to door servicing option but it’s not much help if you can’t use it!

Has anyone had a similar alignment situation - basically want to know if i’m even unscrewing the right thing ? 

maybe resident KS expert @US69can shed light on this 

Again, I ask have you tried turning the wheel around and riding it with the mudguard in the front?  if you feel the pull when riding in reverse to the other side, then you confirmed it is the wheel.  if you still feel the same pull, it is you.

12 minutes ago, Siggy said:

@eddiemoy reversed wheel - lean confirmed! Now just in opposite direction. 

That hex screw needs to be unstuck. If you tap it softly in either direction you should be able to ascertain the correct direction. Fortunately it is a hex and those are hard to strip.

Lots of people use heat to get the red loctite out but I have a much better solution. IKEA sells a cheap $20 electric gun style screwdriver that, miracle of miracles, has a built in torque wrench. Simply set the wrench to opposite, set the torque to the next to highest but not the highest, and pull the trigger all the way.

You'll hear the wrench go braaaa and eventually those many impacts will loosen your screw. I've loosened screw that had red loctite and were set to 80 pounds...with that cheap screwdriver.

@Siggy

Hy there :-)

Sorry, but i have some understanding problems...

You have problems because you think that the wheel is „leaning“ into one direction?

And you suspect that 0,4mm!! difference in distance from one pedal to the motor  to be the culprit?

I can -really- not agree or imagine on that....Whatever causes the lean (my first culprit would be much to low air pressure in the tire)...its most certain not that half mm difference. You have -a slightly small- difference in this pedal arm distance on nearly every wheel...i actually have that here on my Monster..and i would guess its about 3-5 mm here. But however..i do not even notice on riding. I mean...there are other things in the tire....hall sensors, small pcb, power cables, which are on one side only...so no EUC rim/tire is 100percent balanced.....

However..perhaps, perhaps you are really that sensitive beeing new to wheels...but my normal perception would be that especially a new rider has - a lot :-) - other problems to feel, than this one :-)

Please dont get me wrong...this is by no means meant as offense, but please just check tire pressure and other things :-)

6 minutes ago, US69 said:

@Siggy

Hy there :-)

Sorry, but i have some understanding problems...

You have problems because you think that the wheel is „leaning“ into one direction?

And you suspect that 0,4mm!! difference in distance from one pedal to the motor  to be the culprit?

It'd bug me to no end to see even very slightly unbalanced pedal height. I'd fix that even if it had effect on riding.

However, he's talking about the wheel running right; I have the same problem on all my wheels and it is caused by the camber of the road.

He can confirm it is the camber of the road simply by crossing the crown of the road and seeing if the wheel then tries to run leftward.

38 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

me to no end to see even very slightly unbalanced pedal height. I'd fix that even if it had effect on riding.

different pedal height would bug me also...but he doesnt have different pedal height, he has a 0,4 mm difference in what the pedal arms are away from the motor....

I dont know any wheel which is a 100% balanced....i mean on a GW MSX or V3 for example you have the boatd sitting on one sight...so it is even more „unbalanced“....or older wheels with only one battery pack on one side. Even they had no leaning when ridden.

And yeah...can be street camber...or just to less air, which are all more obvious reason for a „leaning“

@US69 appreciate your response. 

No offence taken! To clarify i’m a novice DIYer - not a novice rider ?

PSI = 2.5 bar

My initial thought was a tire problem. It was my seller who mentioned the pedal hinges (see note below)

D1A19836-25D8-4AAF-B82A-AF1860188B74.thumb.jpeg.c0c0d49eff36d9800241df2e9d2f712f.jpeg

I too am surprised that 0.4mm difference would effect ride “lean”. I still somewhat feel it may be the rim/inner tube/tire connection. However, i’m not certain. 

What i can ascertain is this:

1) It wasn’t like this when I first rode it

2) When it first happened after lubing the inner rim it stopped temporarily.  However this fix no longer works  

N.b before anyone asks, no the wheel has not been used for stunts nor had any severe falls ?

Have you seen anything like this @US69 

The lean just really bugs me and distracts from the riding experience. You would expect the wheel to ride straight! 

Maybe expert @Marty Backe et al may know 

@LanghamP are you talking about the FIXA (pictured below). 

A5F5F519-B141-4F9D-B6DF-98D924D8D5F8.thumb.jpeg.29173799c66fa7e0488a0985414035a2.jpeg

I appreciate your input! I have the Ryobi (also pictured) however it started smoking when attempting on those hex screws ?

049F0971-80A7-4ADA-BBA0-709029FC0B25.thumb.jpeg.f74bc4a5e77d996e9402103438ccfa0b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Siggy said:

you seen anything like this @US69 

Nope...really, never...as said...slightly differences in pedal arm distance are normal and shouldnt have an effect.

You dont get them loose easy because a really hard lock tide is used, as the pedal arms need to be secured VERY good.....thats also why I WOULD not recommend getting them loose for the not half of one milimeter...but thats just me :-)

Archived