Please help a newbie pick a first wheel..

kylix

Hello all, this is my first post but it feels like I've read all the content on euc.org from lurking here so much.

What would you experts recommend as a first wheel? Ideally something that I could keep using even after learning on it.

I was thinking of a 14" wheel at first, but I've seen comments that they're too "wobbly" or "just for tricks". Is this dependent on rider weight and height? What is the height/weight cutoff for deciding on a 14" versus 16?

I thought cost would be a deciding factor for me, but the Kingsong 14S and 16S are not that different in price. And you get a more powerful motor with the 16S.

Welcome Kylix! I ride a 16s to work every day and also have a 14in wheel. I learned on the 14in. It not anywhere close to a 14s but rather a cheap wheel and I also got my 68yr father riding on the 14 too. 

My dad could ride the 14 but was never really comfortable on it. The first time he tried the 16s he took off and rode just fine. This was his 4th time on an EUC And less than an hr total ride time. 

I think the 16s is a great 1st wheel that does a little bit of everything. You wont "out grow it" right after learning either. I would have bought the 16s first but was uncertain if I'd like it this much and didnt consider commuting at first. I work a lot and started riding to work just so I could be on the wheel every day. I also have a very short 4 mile one way commute. 

Get a 16s, pad yourself up just as much as the wheel, and start saving up for another wheel because these things are addictive as hell ?

10 hours ago, kylix said:

I was thinking of a 14" wheel at first, but I've seen comments that they're too "wobbly" or "just for tricks". Is this dependent on rider weight and height?

Partially yes. But we’ve seen RoberAce’s kid ride the 18” Z10, and even younger ones on 16” wheels doing fine. So I think the thresholds are very low.

10 hours ago, kylix said:

And you get a more powerful motor with the 16S.

Exactly.

I have yet to hear a single story where a beginner rider regretted getting a 16” instead of a 14”. The other way around? Plenty. 14” first wheels are often grown out of in a matter of weeks or even days.

2 hours ago, Flying W said:

I think the 16s is a great 1st wheel that does a little bit of everything. You wont "out grow it" right after learning either.

Not "outgrowing" a wheel would be great. I don't think I can afford to collect these wheels like a lot of you guys seem to do here :)

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I have yet to hear a single story where a beginner rider regretted getting a 16” instead of a 14”. The other way around? Plenty. 14” first wheels are often grown out of in a matter of weeks or even days.

Thanks, @mrelwood. These comments are swaying me more towards a 16". 

I'm wondering though, wouldn't the smaller diameter make a 14" feel as powerful? The 14-inch MCM5 has an even stronger motor, and everyone here seems to rave about it (and it's priced lower too). Would it make a good first wheel?

13 minutes ago, kylix said:

Not "outgrowing" a wheel would be great. I don't think I can afford to collect these wheels like a lot of you guys seem to do here :)

Thanks, @mrelwood. These comments are swaying me more towards a 16". 

I'm wondering though, wouldn't the smaller diameter make a 14" feel as powerful? The 14-inch MCM5 has an even stronger motor, and everyone here seems to rave about it (and it's priced lower too). Would it make a good first wheel?

You can learn on any wheel. That being said the ergonomics of the MCM5 are not ideal for learning on, wheel good leg support can really help. The MCM5 is a very agile wheel. When learning, stability can help. I think I wish that I had learned on something like the MSuper V3 because of the superior leg support and stability of the 18-inch inch.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well Said!   :thumbup:

21 hours ago, kylix said:

What would you experts recommend as a first wheel? Ideally something that I could keep using even after learning...

I am no expert, but if you order from ewheels Jason would gladly discuss your situation (terrain, how you want to use the wheel, your projected riding style, etc) and he is really good at narrowing down a good 1st wheel for you. 

With that being said, if you aren’t in a heavy metro environment and want to cruise around town, I’d recommend something with a fairly large battery, especially if you have elevation changes. Personally, I am not in a heavy urban (definitely suburban) environment and I have a Tesla and, although I love the wheel a lot performance wise, I wish I got the msx with the bigger battery life and the little extra oomph I could get/ utilize on my more spacious roads. 

If you’re in an urban environment or don’t plan on going on any grand tours, maybe the 14s is for you.  I just hope my own newbie experience and perspective can help you to better make a decision. 

Before you buy any wheel though, don’t forget to ask yourself, Got Way?

CB6389B5-F3F1-4586-86EC-24194B753E88.jpeg

Thanks, gents. I’m now looking to get a 16”, most likely the 16S. Are there any other models I should look at?

@jfree13 Thanks for letting me know about Jason from eWheels. I’ll ask for his advice as you suggested.

Archived