Question why after riding EUC you get bruises on your lower leg but goes away after 2 weeks?

Stephen Halford

Hi all

I have been thinking about this a lot... Do I get the reason why we the bruising on our chins because the body is not designed to take our weigh on it.. but why does it go away after two weeks? surely we all ways get the bruising no matter what?

also, people who have more than one wheel.. how often do you have to ride each wheel to make sure you keep the leg conditioning for that wheel? 

3 hours ago, Stephen Halford said:

bruising on our chins

Truly the faceplant is stressfull to the chin.

The shins we're frightening too when learning on EUCs with unpadded edges or even the stiff foam of the Ninebot One E+.

The lateral rubbing of the EUC against the lower leg seems to produce the ugly swelling and discoloration.

As you ride with less control applied against the offending parts and more balance over the pedals the bruising goes away.

I used foam padded shin guards similar to these for a long time. I paid about $40 for mine.  I stopped wearing them after a year of use because something started to cause an allergic reaction on my skin, probably sweat and bacteria related. I should try washing them.

Foam shin guards

http://www.ssww.com/item/sock-style-foam-padded-soccer-shin-guards-adult-W5699002/?aid=GOG&cid=3294&oc=W3355&utm_campaign=pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=W5699002&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk_TbBRDsARIsAALJSOYNCKnVvT3TwU1Gh0vfLCcEWPQNoumQmeEH9HqgEE-70yMzbQmJOCkaAkIREALw_wcB

This stuff is good on EUCs with sharp edges but shreds easily if you drop EUC in a crash.

Foam padding

Monster at 7000 kmMonster at 7000 km

SRX foam shin guards with padded ankles too

yea I got the chin guards and stuff now for my EUC

I was just wondering why the body gets used to it really... you see a lot of video people riding with one foot and you need to put presser on that part of your leg to stay up... so I was just curious if someone knew. and I didn't find a topic on it.

I don't know, but it's not unprecedented elsewhere in the body.  For instance, people starting to do push-ups on their knuckles often experience pain while doing it, and bruising and/or other tenderness afterward.  After a while all that becomes uncommon.

Just speculating here, but in the case of knuckles, they thicken and widen pretty quickly, and often quite a lot, when you start doing that.  Perhaps in creating that greater surface area, the effective pressure on any one area is that much less, which leads to less of a reaction from the body ... whether pain, bruising, or tenderness.

My own shins certainly did thicken noticeably from all the pressure my bodyweight put on them while practicing my EUC.

1 hour ago, Stephen Halford said:

yea I got the chin guards and stuff now for my EUC

I was just wondering why the body gets used to it really... you see a lot of video people riding with one foot and you need to put presser on that part of your leg to stay up... so I was just curious if someone knew. and I didn't find a topic on it.

Yes, you can innure the shins against the softer hits against it within a mere two weeks or so, simply by tapping a bamboo pole or Coke bottle against it, not hard for ten or so minutes. Any part of the body surface can be hardened this way;  the microfractures created this way on the bone's surface get filled in after some rest.

A hard hit from the pedals will still hurt like hell.

Is the question: why do you get bruises on your shins? or why do the bruises go away after 2 weeks?

I think we get used to the bruising after a while, but get better at not putting so much weight on the ankles and shins. Bruising still occurs (depending on ride length/intensity) but we tend to feel it less as we gain experience...

Whack your shins to your hearts content, if they get hit by a peddle it's gonna hurt regardless. :wacko:

7 hours ago, Stephen Halford said:

Hi all

I have been thinking about this a lot... Do I get the reason why we the bruising on our chins because the body is not designed to take our weigh on it.. but why does it go away after two weeks? surely we all ways get the bruising no matter what?

No. You get the bruising as you start to learn because you have to hop on many times and put a lot of pressure against your leg with the wheel. Once you are used to riding you never do it anymore that way so your body doesn't get used to it, it's simply you that gets a better technique. If it was your body adapting to the pressure it would start again after a long period of no riding (for instance in winter). I didn't ride for months because of bad weather, and never had pains when picking up the wheel again in spring.

7 hours ago, Stephen Halford said:

also, people who have more than one wheel.. how often do you have to ride each wheel to make sure you keep the leg conditioning for that wheel? 

Never :) Just ride.

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

No. You get the bruising as you start to learn because you have to hop on many times and put a lot of pressure against your leg with the wheel. Once you are used to riding you never do it anymore that way so your body doesn't get used to it, it's simply you that gets a better technique. If it was your body adapting to the pressure it would start again after a long period of no riding (for instance in winter).

This is me training during the weeks it took my wheel to arrive...

Archived