How to Ride the One Z

Rotciv

The Ninebot One Z has a completely different driving dynamics and requires different techniques that most of us are used to. I've had only a couple thousand miles across all my other euc which are the One S1 and KS14S, so I'm still learning. Below are some of my observations and learnings, and perhaps others can add their own.

Initial Ride: The One Z seems like it has a mind of it's own. When you want the wheel to go one way, it will either not react or go to a different direction. It will come to you once you put some miles on the wheel.

Going Straight: This is where the One Z excel. I think, after a few minutes of practice, anyone can get on this wheel and they'll be able to ride it and just go forward.

High Speed Curves: Taking a sweeping turn at around 10-15 mph is completely opposite to other wheels. With other wheels, I tend to bend my outside leg and let my weight tilt the wheel. With the One Z, I have to bend my inside leg, do a slight squat in, then push and tilt the wheel with my outside leg.

Sharp Turns: So far I can't make sharp 90-degree turns without slowing down. I think it's just physics; to make sharp turns, I have to reduce my speed.

Braking: The One Z10 is dense and has lots of momentum, but the brake is strong enough to make it feel similar to my other wheels. Once you actually stop and put one foot down, be prepared to hold it up with your other foot because it's heavy.

Low Speed Agility: Once I got more miles on the One Z and figured out the low speed dynamics, it feels like it's on magnetic tracks. Doing tight figure 8s and 360 is very effortless.

My Challenges: I can't ride across an incline, I always end up being pulled to the base/bottom. I get very uncomfortable doing downhill turns on bumpy roads, or sharp turns on bumpy roads. I feel like I don't have complete control of the wheel on bumpy sharp turns. Hopefully, I'll learn how to tackle these challenges as I put more miles on the One Z.

Some Caution: When you get your first few miles with the One Z (around 5 miles for me), and you switch back to your other wheel right away, your mind and legs still think you're riding the One Z and will be doing uncontrollable motion that could lead to crash. I was doing slalom that I couldn't control for a few yards when I got back to a KS14 after my initial few miles with the One Z.

I fully confirm what You wrote - I have around 15k km experience on various wheels,  so first day of riding Z10...  I was.... disappointing  - riding Z10 require different body movements, on the first day wheel was riding somehow by itself... if you want to turn left, wheel will turn right and so on... second day was better, third day fun factor came back, and each next day is even better. I have around 120km total km made this week.  I still have difficulties with riding across the incline, also on the uneven sidewalks when they are made from individual blocks.  Wheel moves in somehow uncontrolled way.  Playing with tire pressure may be the solution - so far I ride with 30 psi, (with my total geared weight around 90kg) however today I had to transport old One E+ to the friend ... .this added 15 kg to my weight and the situation became almost dramatic. On the uneven sidewalk I was almost out of control.   When I delivered the E+  situation came back to normal..  I will consider adding few psi of pressure, but I do not want to loose soft tire feeling.. 

Since the beginning of the week, I ride at least two of my other wheels for at least 1 km after coming back from a longer ride on the Z10. The Z10 has become my main wheel. It’s quite addictive. ? But riding the other wheels everyday once at the end of the day along the same path on and off roads, helps a lot to appreciate the differences and they all suddenly become even more fun. It is interesting to experience, how in time the brain figures out all these rather complex motions. 

I also downloaded the different sounds to the Z10. They are great fun.

2 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

So, don’t try to learn EUC on Z... can’t ride anything elses 

28 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

There is no need to ride anything else ... ? 

Hopefully within the next week or two I’ll be able to find out for myself. :innocent1:

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Hopefully within the next week or two I’ll be able to find out for myself. :innocent1:

I am sure you will! Might take a few days of riding the Z to get addicted, but ...you will soon have this permanent smile ? of satisfaction on your face, trust me.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:05 AM, Toshio Uemura said:

Since the beginning of the week, I ride at least two of my other wheels for at least 1 km after coming back from a longer ride on the Z10. The Z10 has become my main wheel. It’s quite addictive. ? But riding the other wheels everyday once at the end of the day along the same path on and off roads, helps a lot to appreciate the differences and they all suddenly become even more fun. It is interesting to experience, how in time the brain figures out all these rather complex motions. 

I also downloaded the different sounds to the Z10. They are great fun.

hi @Toshio Uemura may I ask how to download the new sound?:w00t2:

Archived