The "Slick" 18L unboxing in DC

Lutalo

Picked up my son's 18L this morning. That was an adventure. Since we were expecting rain, I wanted us to get some time to try it out before the rain. I opted for pick up from the relevant Fedex Home Delivery Center. Despite my request for pick up Fedex loaded the wheel onto a truck. Luckily, Receiving was able to flag down the driver before he left the grounds. My son and I pulled the 18L off the truck, loaded it into the SUV and drove home quite relieved and happy that we had successfully averted disaster. 

At home we:

1. Downloaded an apk installer from the Play Store

2. Connected the wheel to the kingsong app

3. Upgraded the firmware from 1.03 to 1.07

4. Turned off the lift sensor

4. Completed horizontal calibration

5. Took the wheel outside for test runs.

6. Returned inside to charge wheel

My description of this wheel is it is a Super, Lovely, Incredible, Cool-ass wheel, with Killer looks: "SLICK." In fact, that should be the model name before the nomenclature: the "Slick 18L". It is balanced, powerful, and crazy beautiful in Black Matte. Kingsong has truly created a masterpiece. Bravo Kingsong, 'yuh done gone and did good'??

More to come. Since the battery was at 25% we couldn't do too much with the wheel. We will ride for a week and give more feedback.

IMG_20180802_122712.jpg

2 hours ago, nte said:

Did you do the lift sensor calibration or just toggle the switch off?

If you did do the lift sensor calibration, was it successful?

I didn't attempt a lift sensor calibration. I just toggled it to the off position. Are you perhaps recommending that I turn on the lift sensor, calibrate, and then turn it off again?

26 minutes ago, nte said:

I was going to suggest it to verify something but I got the info I was after. ?

On a side note, your wheel most likely has the "fixed" version of 1.0.7 that wont freeze up while using the trolley.

Very cool. I believe @Jason McNeil did issue a teaser about a fix and possible V1.08 upgrade baking in the oven.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Ooh maybe I should have used this clip instead.  :whistling:

?????? Yeah, that one was muuuch better. Basically depicting what the guy in the photo with the shovel had to do to kill his foe.???????

41 minutes ago, nte said:

Nu-uh... I saw that topic but wasn't brave enough to click. I'll play Hollywood rats with you guys but if that thread is about actual rats... no way..

It's actually a story about rats and what happens when they get access to multivitamins ??????

I've received mine on Tuesday, upgraded to 1.07 and have about 110 miles on it now. I use the trolley several times per day when grocery shopping or picking up food from restaurants. No issues. One pedal is a little loose and vibrating now, but other than that it's awesome! I plug a usb stick with all my music on it and just go! This thing is amazing 

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

SuperRats!  :w00t2:  You just gave me an idea for a new movie!  Plus a sequel could be “SuperRatNado!”  Hey if they are doing it with sharks, why not rats, I say!  :thumbup:

Yeah, and it totally sucking won't stop the sequels from coming; its foolproof man. Go for it. ??

10 minutes ago, joku said:

I've received mine on Tuesday, upgraded to 1.07 and have about 110 miles on it now. I use the trolley several times per day when grocery shopping or picking up food from restaurants. No issues. One pedal is a little loose and vibrating now, but other than that it's awesome! I plug a usb stick with all my music on it and just go! This thing is amazing 

You are planning on tightening up that pedal right? Don't want to presume that you don't know, but just in case: those holes on each side of the pedal have screws. Use an Allen wrench to tighten them down. I forget the size of the wrench, but I am sure that if you have a set of allens you will discover the one that fits.

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

You are planning on tightening up that pedal right? Don't want to presume that you don't know, but just in case: those holes on each side of the pedal have screws. Use an Allen wrench to tighten them down. I forget the size of the wrench, but I am sure that if you have a set of allens you will discover the one that fits.

I just looked into the holes in the pedals and one pedal has hex screws on both ends while the other pedal(loose one) doesn't have a hex on either end. Is that normal?

5 hours ago, joku said:

This is what it looks like on both ends of the right pedal(loose pedal)

20180804_001258.jpg

Exactly. The Allen Wrench fits in that center space depicted on the screw in the photo. I attached a picture of an Allen Wrench/key. Sorry, I don't know the size, but they are cheap and come in sets like the one in the attached photo. One in a set is bound to fit, try them all out to match the hole with the correct-sized Allen Wrench.

You can use the Allen to tighten those screws on both sides of each pedal. To me it sounds like the screw depicted in your photo is too loose and needs tightening.

images_1_5_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg

na-00012_1.jpg

5 hours ago, joku said:

I just looked into the holes in the pedals and one pedal has hex screws on both ends while the other pedal(loose one) doesn't have a hex on either end. Is that normal?

Sorry I responded to the other, but missed this one. The one without the hex screws is most likely your trouble. It is not normal for those to be missing; they shouldn't be. You can check a hardware store for replacement hex screws (stores should carry them) or contact your dealer. I would first try the hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).

Once you have the screws and tighten them you should be good.

6 hours ago, joku said:

Take one screw out of the other pedal and take it to Home Depot and get two more the same size.  It looks like the factory left out the screws on that pedal.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Take one screw out of the other pedal and take it to Home Depot and get two more the same size.  It looks like the factory left out the screws on that pedal.

Exactly. I second that. Even if they were originally included at the factory, the manufacturer could have forgotten to tighten them sufficiently; surprising for Kingsong, but quite possible. I check mine regularly to ensure that they are properly torqued; they can work loose. I personally don't like screw glues like Locktite and others unless it is on a part I do not expect to have to remove.

On my KS18ay the bolts on the axle brackets work loose over time and I have to torque them down every couple of months.

There are just certain maintenance items that need regular attention; like, screws that hold together parts of the wheel in constant or high use. I don't like to use glues on the axle screws either as I don't want a nightmare removing them if I must change a tire or inner tube; so I check them regularly to prevent problems with them loosening. Don't yet know if I will have these issues with the 18L, but its a good habit to check.

Archived