EUC Foot straps/stirrups

Esash

bar+tape+foot+straps+small+(17+of+21).jp big-x-top-foot-straps-free-uk-postage-18

Could straps/stirrups on EUC pedals that you slide your feet into like slide on sandals have a future? They would allow you to jump very easily over any curb, bump, or dip. If they were loose, you could still easily slide your feet out for stopping and dismounting the wheel. 

I'm guessing that part of the reason we don't see this feature is safety. If you crash, you can't step off the wheel and injuries could be much worse because the wheel is stuck to you.

But with the gradual implementation of advanced redundancy features in EUCs, like the new IPS wheel Jason saw,

... I'm wondering at what point EUCs might become safe enough to make riders/manufacturers want to implement straps on their wheels.

Because it sure would be fun to be able to jump more aggressively on EUCs, in a way that only foot straps can realistically enable. We could see people jumping up onto picnic tables on their InMotion V8s or IPS I5, for instance. And even MSupers would have the ability to jump up most/any curb, or over most potholes.

Maybe the safety issue is just too big, I guess.

Instead of straps that circle the entire foot, it could just be a metal bar of 1.5-3 inches length that protrudes from the EUC body, about 3 inches above the pedal. So you could just hook your feet under that little metal bar and easily lift the wheel up for jumping, without having your feet caught in any straps that completely surround your feet and keep them locked to the wheel.

Something like this but shorter bars above the feet, and the bars extruding from the wheel rather than the outside of the feet like in this photo

1155076.jpg

Mountain bike clipons such as Shimano's SPD are feasible, as they can be get out of in a hurry yet stay on during normal riding.

I can recall maybe 5-6 times I quickly got my feet off the pedals which saved me from busting my ass and maybe getting hurt... the thought of something possibly stopping or hampering my quickness on those occasions would have possibly resulted in a more painful outcome... practicing our jumping technique would probably be a better long term resolution in my opinion...:efeeab781c:

seems like a surefire way to make any crash 10x worse xD yea eucs are quite safe and getting safer.. but that doesnt mean that people will crash less due to user error.. however, if they were easy to take on and off the pedals then yea that could be cool if you were just at a skate park or something.. though doing normal speeds i would never ever strap my foot into something haha

24 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

seems like a surefire way to make any crash 10x worse xD yea eucs are quite safe and getting safer.. but that doesnt mean that people will crash less due to user error.. however, if they were easy to take on and off the pedals then yea that could be cool if you were just at a skate park or something.. though doing normal speeds i would never ever strap my foot into something haha

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, they'd be great for skate parks, and probably even riding around town at 10-15 mph, perhaps slowing down to jump curbs and try jumping 180s/360s in parking lots and stuff.

32 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, they'd be great for skate parks, and probably even riding around town at 10-15 mph, perhaps slowing down to jump curbs and try jumping 180s/360s in parking lots and stuff.

mmhm, its quite difficult for me to jump anything but my ninebot.. because of the larger frame, weight and layout.. and maybe i baby them too much lol.. but for tricks, jumping, going backwards, learning etc the ninebot is great seeing as it was my first wheel so scuffs dont worry me on it

I was thinking about protruding the front of the pads a little with a platform (like the mod @EUC GUY has made https://eucguy.com/gotway-addons%2Fmods ) but adding an undercut at the bottom where your toes can hook if need be. That way your feet aren’t locked in if you need to suddenly get out and you can turn them in and squish the pads if you need to get a grip for hopping!

7 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

I was thinking about protruding the front of the pads a little with a platform (like the mod @EUC GUY has made https://eucguy.com/gotway-addons%2Fmods ) but adding an undercut at the bottom where your toes can hook if need be. That way your feet aren’t locked in if you need to suddenly get out and you can turn them in and squish the pads if you need to get a grip for hopping!

Yup, exactly. Those protruding side pads could also protrude at the bottom so you could hook your big toes under them. Game changing combo, imo.

Archived