New rider, bit of help please.

Bit of history...1st saw euc August 17, tried to ride for 1/2 hour, fail.  Made it maybe 30 feet max.  2 weeks ago, did a couple of 20 minute sessions on some friends wheels at a fly-in (I'm a pilot) was able to actually go a few hundred feet at a time.  Got home and immediately ordered a Gotway acm2.  Now I've got maybe 2 hours, I can turn, and stay on the wheel for several miles without wiping out.

Questions:  As I accelerate it slows me down, it's kind of cramping up my shin muscles.  I gather this is called pushback.  How do I turn it off?  

I see an app is mentioned.  What is it called? Where do I get it?  How do I use it?

Basically any info will be helpful to me.  

Kyle O.

Welcome to a brand new world. ?   Yes what you're experiencing is "tilt-back" and you can turn it off using the app.  There are links to the app here:   http://www.kebye.com/content/?182.html

Occasionally they'll post updated or beta versions of the app on the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GotWay/

I usually completely turn off tilt-back, as well as the 1st and second alarms.

I also always use Sport Mode for the stiffest pedals.   It gives it more of a skateboard feel and the ride is more predictable.

Welcome!

I recommend that you keep your tilt back on for 2 weeks or until you feel comfortable with riding the wheel. I personally had myself set a goal to ride 1000 miles before I went faster than 10 mph. But @oolong is correct with the options. You can turn off the tilt back with the app. Just remember, higher speed means harder crash.

Perhaps adjust the tiltback to a higher setting before turning it off? If the tiltback is off, there is nothing preventing you from accelerating to the cut-off. That’s when the wheel will simply turn off at the maximum speed (45km/h?). It will be very painful even with full motorcycle crash gear, since you have zero time to react.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:39 AM, mrelwood said:

Perhaps adjust the tiltback to a higher setting before turning it off? If the tiltback is off, there is nothing preventing you from accelerating to the cut-off. That’s when the wheel will simply turn off at the maximum speed (45km/h?). It will be very painful even with full motorcycle crash gear, since you have zero time to react.

This is true you will be totally chance less to "catch" the wheel if cut out occur..

To try to ride the wheel after a cut out, as pilot which I am not so please forgive all my potential mistakes here but still, try to perhaps imagine piloting one of these apparently inherently unstable fighter jets controlled via a range of computer tech all by yourself using only your own natural reaction, bypass all that tech constantly making small adjustment really fast, would be hard no? To ride that free wheeling EUC would demand you to be super fast and perfectly making constant adjustments to keep center of mass right and not tip over, at least this is how I imagine it I am speculating so please feel free to correct my mistakes but I do know it has been impossible for me when cut out.

The cut-out is easy to simulate in slow motion: Power OFF your wheel. Now mount on the wheel without support and lean forward.

(Please do not do that. You will likely get hurt even from a standstill! Or damage your wheel, or your walls.)

4 hours ago, Electroman said:

To ride that free wheeling EUC would demand you to be super fast and perfectly making constant adjustments to keep center of mass right and not tip over, 

I think your assumption is also what fools quite a lot of people that they can handle a failure  or roll like a parachutist out of it.

Reaction is something that gets trained, effectively muscle memory. Arguably, what you are saying above is very little different to the sort of reactions you need to control the rudder of a high performance tailwheel aircraft in gusty conditions.

Now take that example and imagine that half way through the takeoff run your rudder control reverses - how well would your reflexes work then? That is in simplistic terms what you are faced with when the wheel fails.

That, to me, is why very few EUC riders can fall gracefully from a wheel when it suddenly gives up. When the wheel electronics fail or are over powered, your muscle memory and automatic reactions will go into correction mode, for example trying to lean back as the wheel starts to tip you forward as that is what you have trained yourself to do.

By the time your much slower conscious mind has worked out that correction just isn’t going to work this time and you need to jump off  and roll out of it you are already eating dirt.

18 hours ago, Keith said:

I think your assumption is also what fools quite a lot of people that they can handle a failure  or roll like a parachutist out of it.

Reaction is something that gets trained, effectively muscle memory. Arguably, what you are saying above is very little different to the sort of reactions you need to control the rudder of a high performance tailwheel aircraft in gusty conditions.

Now take that example and imagine that half way through the takeoff run your rudder control reverses - how well would your reflexes work then? That is in simplistic terms what you are faced with when the wheel fails.

That, to me, is why very few EUC riders can fall gracefully from a wheel when it suddenly gives up. When the wheel electronics fail or are over powered, your muscle memory and automatic reactions will go into correction mode, for example trying to lean back as the wheel starts to tip you forward as that is what you have trained yourself to do.

By the time your much slower conscious mind has worked out that correction just isn’t going to work this time and you need to jump off  and roll out of it you are already eating dirt.

Yes I think so, good points and you are likely correct or in theory makes sense to me personally anyway.

Archived