MSuper V2 snapped axle

Oily

For those that aren't on the Facebook page, I snapped the axle on my MSuper V2 just over 2 weeks ago (cutting most of the wires in the process !).

After a lot of head scratching & broken tooling, a friend and I machined a new axle !

I reassembled & rewired the motor yesterday, but with the axle now in place, wires through the axle & wheel  partly assembled (foot hangers in place), the wheel is still COMPLETELY locked up.  I can just about turn the wheel 5 degrees using a LARGE spanner on the pedal hanger.  My initial thought was that the covers were in the wrong place compared to the wheel, but having looks at scratch marks on both sides, I'm sure it's in the same place I took it off.

Do I need to completely re-assemble the wheel with main board & power before the wheel will turn ?  (I have a new main board, as I know I fried the old when the axle snapped).

Broken.thumb.jpg.4f853030cba506f8050b1bd9a2f94f10.jpgWheel.thumb.jpg.a82dfa2bd38b4781104fb6803a57ffb4.jpgSnapped_Axle.thumb.jpg.da51513aabd175c70dfe2e9685e95c53.jpg1031653119_newaxle.thumb.jpg.8067a6963fb505ea36268c201f1d2f2e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The axle should turn easily if the motor is not connected to mainboard and the phase wires aren't shorted together anywhere (you can check with a multimeter). If it's not, hard to say what the problem could then be... bearings? Is the stator correctly aligned, ie. there's a small gap between the outer magnets and the stator all around?

I think @Rehab1 used a few business or playing cards to act as a shim all around in between the magnets and the stator teeth.  That should allow one hub cover to be placed on and bolted into place holding the stator assembly in position.  The shims can then be removed, and the stator assembly / rim should freely rotate.  Then the other hub cover can be mounted.  Or so I theorize in my mind.  Never done it, but I think that's how it's done.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think @Rehab1 used a few business or playing cards to act as a shim all around in between the magnets and the stator teeth.  That should allow one hub cover to be placed on and bolted into place holding the stator assembly in position.  The shims can then be removed, and the stator assembly / rim should freely rotate.  Then the other hub cover can be mounted.  Or so I theorize in my mind.  Never done it, but I think that's how it's done.

Yes I used plastic business cards to shim the entire perimeter between the magnets and stator. You have to pull on the axle with force in each direction as you finesse the cards into place. Start by adding 4 cards each placed at 90 degree quadrants. This will help maintain adequate circumferential clearance between the magnets and stator as you keep adding cards through the entire process.

This procedure works best when using my exclusive company business cards. ?

33927312740_5ccc3d66f6_b.jpg

Archived