Electric unicycle vs bicycle - round 1: commuting (to work)

Justina

Hi guys,

Don't you think a bicycle looks odd comparing to EUC? It's much bigger, you have to park it etc. - sounds like having troubles.

Since I started riding on EUCs, I have a strange feeling when observing bicyclist, like they would ride a horse and were from another century (I'm talking just about transportation purposes, not sport or hobby). I assume from most people view, riding a bicycle is completely normal, because it is here for 200 years and there was nothing else to make a contrast.

I think the major problem with people to switch from bike to anything else is the fear of learning something new. Everyone thinks it is hard to learn EUC, but the truth is it's not. Everyone had to learn how to ride a bike as a kid, we just don't remember this. Then people do a driving license, and then they are older and older, and with age they start to ignore new things that have a learning curve.

I am a woman, and I haven't ridden any other such devices or haven't done any extreme sports like skateboarding etc., but I was able to master an electric unicycle. If I could do it, everyone can do it!

But how convince stubborn people it is easy and fun?

Check this out. Do you think it may work?

@Justina, great video. For me the biggest problem with the bike was where to keep it. The only place that wasn't in the way was in the shed at the bottom of the garden where it soon got buried under the lawn mower, spades, flowerpots etc.etc. It soon became too much trouble to dig it out.

The EUC, on the other hand sits comfortably by the front door and is not in anyone's way. It is the most natural thing in the world to just grab it and go, instead of using my car which now does less than 2000 miles a year.

P.S. strangely enough the only ones who shout out that I'm being lazy using an electric wheel are always in cars!

I completely get the part where the guy sits down at his desk exhausted... And he doesn't live in FL and have to go have a wash down and change his clothes before he starts work. But to all the other arguments I present this photo. Quite possible the most convenient and awesome bike ever made. A Brompton...and yes that is my V8 next to it. I'm learning to ride, hence all the padding. The Brompton goes in the closet at home. Under my desk at work. In the store when I shop (has a shopping trolley mode). You can even get them with electric motors which I considered before I got my V8. But adding a motor and battery pack made a portable bike too heavy and I wanted to keep the bike manual only. Like the V8, the Brompton is a blast to ride and attracts a lot of attention.

WP_20170721_07_50_10_Pro.jpg

No. Never been there when it has been hosted (live in the US now). They do races globally as qualifiers for the London race and the owner of the shop I brought mine from raced in the US version a few years ago.

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I completely get the part where the guy sits down at his desk exhausted... And he doesn't live in FL and have to go have a wash down and change his clothes before he starts work. But to all the other arguments I present this photo. Quite possible the most convenient and awesome bike ever made. A Brompton...and yes that is my V8 next to it. I'm learning to ride, hence all the padding. The Brompton goes in the closet at home. Under my desk at work. In the store when I shop (has a shopping trolley mode). You can even get them with electric motors which I considered before I got my V8. But adding a motor and battery pack made a portable bike too heavy and I wanted to keep the bike manual only. Like the V8, the Brompton is a blast to ride and attracts a lot of attention.

WP_20170721_07_50_10_Pro.jpg

When I used to ride my brompton in NYC, no one cared.  I think they would be amazed when you fold it, I was and it is he only reason I bought mine.  

Archived