Giant Duracell battery at CES.

LanghamP

Giant...but not exactly cutting edge. Lead-acid and about $600 for 600 watt hours. Isn't my KS16s 840 watt hours?

https://gizmodo.com/you-will-probably-die-before-this-monstrous-new-backup-1821965111

It got me thinking, though, about why can't our EUCs be used at battery backup. Surely their batteries are big enough? With an EUC at least you don't have to carry it since it goes by itself.

How hard would it be to have some plug on the side of our EUCs so you could plug in all sorts of items? I know my MSuper has the "suicide" usb port but it only charges when the wheel is turned on.

I've been thinking of building some  EDIT-- LiPo   Li-ion-- house batteries to replace the (probably) useless ones that came with my American motorhome when I bought it.  Weight is at a premium on American motorhomes, I think I have 500Lb for my stuff.  This is good incentive to give it a go.  Pulling those heavy ass lead batteries out, will make a big difference.

56 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I've been thinking of building some LiPo house batteries to replace the (probably) useless ones that came with my American motorhome when I bought it.  Weight is at a premium on American motorhomes, I think I have 500Lb for my stuff.  This is good incentive to give it a go.  Pulling those heavy ass lead batteries out, will make a big difference.

This guy has some great videos for building your own powerwall:  https://www.youtube.com/user/jehugarcia

2 minutes ago, Cranium said:

This guy has some great videos for building your own powerwall:  https://www.youtube.com/user/jehugarcia

thanks for that.  I've seen several people salvaging old laptop batteries, and also DIY spot welders using a 12v battery and a light bulb.  I've also seen 18650s catch fire when DIY spot welding goes wrong.  I've seen somewhere a kit to assemble 18650s using push on plastic caps and screw-connected conductor strips.  It would be a big step for me as I've never done anything with LiPos before, but there's a first time for everything.  2 months I had never changed a timing belt on anything, since then I've changed one on a four-cam V8, successfully, I might add.  However, I am the world's worst procrastinator, so don't hold your breath on any progress reports. 

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

Thats a pretty good price for a battery spot welder.  I dont think I can find one that cheap here, but i'll look.

I'll be sure to do a lot more research before I begin.

This is more my speed/budget

This isn't the best DIY design, but this is my favorite YouTube Cannuck.  He's fricking hilarious.  Most designs use two tips so that the process works for either terminal and not just the negative. There's one that does away with the solenoid and uses a 12v light bulb instead to limit the duration of the weld. I have an old but not dead 12v lying around, and of course, those two boat anchor house batteries could be put to some use.  Total cost to build, about $10

EDIT Looked up that spot welder here in the UK.  Free shipping from China, £108, more or less the same price.  Very tempting.

EDIT 2 Damn it! no "buy it now" price.  its set up as an auction.  Oh well, maybe I'll bid

Yeah, I love that guy's videos too.  That would certainly be a cheaper alternative but I wouldn't build any packs that are in critical systems with that.  I was looking to build a replacement pack for my EUC so I want very consistent and reliable spot welds.  For a small personal powerwall it wouldn't be as critical.  :) 

Archived