firewheel charger needed

John Reeves

54 minutes ago, John Reeves said:

i am new to these and have been given a firewheel; weighs about 16 kgms

i need to find a charger..can anyone tell me what type

thanks

"Standard" 67.2V charger with GX16-3 -connector should be fine... I've charged mine both with the original and an old Gotway-charger (from MCM2s, I think). 

Hey John, welcome! As @esaj says, any basic 67.2v charger with the 3-pin connector should work. Several manufacturers use the same fanless charger that came with the Firewheel. The one that came with the wheel is a 2-amp charger, like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/x/32475704873.html

If you have the 528 model or bigger and want faster charging times you could go for a 4-amp charger, but the the 2-amp will work fine for all the battery sizes.

Does your wheel still power up? If not you may want to find someone locally who can try to charge it before you invest in a charger, in case the battery is bad.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

...have been given a wheel without charger...

Yes,  @Mono very good point, there is one VERY obvious way one obtains an EUC without its charger isn’t there? Especially if the “owner” doesn’t even know the model number!

Guys

I know where it came from; NOT stolen as it was left behind by a tenant in an office who went bust! I cannot work out if its a fake as there seems to be no serial numbers on it!!

Thanks for your help; unfortunately we don't see many wheels flying around York so I will buy a charger and take a chance

Lets see if it works??

then I have to learn to ride the thing!!

7 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I think there are a few forum members in York England who might be able to help. 

Unfortunately, a lot of Americans seem to forget the world is a lot bigger than the USA, for example the guy on this forum who gives his address as Windsor almost certainly does not live in the same town (or even country) as Queen Elizabeth II has her little summer house in. In fact I tend to assume that anyone who doesn’t state the country they are in, just the town, is very likely to be American.

So it isn’t at all obvious that @John Reeves is actually in York UK. However if he is I would have thought Yorkshire Airwheels https://www.yorkshireairwheels.co.uk/ we’re the obvious people to help him.

2 hours ago, John Reeves said:

I know where it came from; NOT stolen as it was left behind by a tenant in an office who went bust! I cannot work out if its a fake as there seems to be no serial numbers on it!!

now I understand why you posted the weight, 16kg is perfectly believable whereas 4kg would certainly be fake. On the other hand, "left behind" doesn't entirely remove stolen from the equation.

I believe it could very well be just left behind, it's not really an expensive wheel these days and if flying, you can't take it with you. The wheel's very "old" by this day standards (circa 2014), has the notorious "overspeed"-shutdown problem unless the packs are shunted (might be fixed in later mainboard revisions?), lots of burned boards in the earlier ones (not mosfets, usually the step-down circuitry fried, possibly taking the MCU with it, but if it doesn't happen in about a month, it likely won't happen) and is not that powerful (550W nominal). Not that it's a bad wheel still, I loved riding mine (second-hand F260), just that safety-wise, the thing's a deathtrap, and power-wise not suitable for higher weight riders (I had no problem going above 30km/h on mine with shunted packs, only 2P!).

https://fire-wheel.eu/en/ is a French company selling the (last?) Firewheels from their inventory with -50% prices, 520,50€ for the F528-model (528Wh) and 644,40€ for F779 (really 680Wh) for new ones, so it's not that expensive really. The R-line is even cheaper, but I think they only have the "Comfortable"-mode, which is really way too soft... at least in my opinion. I think the company who made them (don't remember the name anymore) went bust around 2015/2016?

Archived