ACM Forever

Marty Backe

I had a nice ride on my ACM today which reaffirms my opinion that it's the best all-round wheel ever made. That's me, no excuses. I just don't get why some people think the Tesla is replacing the ACM given that they ride so differently. One is all pretty for going out on the town, and one (the ACM) is all business.

Here are some thought put to words, with a little entertainment thrown in for free (hint - look at the thumbnail :D)

Great video. While I may be biased because I only have one wheel and it's the ACM, I really believe it has the best form factor/riding feel of any wheel (wide stance; grounded and low and stable; loving the softer, cushioned riding mode vs. the hard, unpleasant ones of most other wheels). It would be such a great wheel if it had stronger and more trustworthy electronics. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng:efee8c29ce:

Do you have any specific (confirmed?) information from @Jason McNeil on what they changed in this "Tesla" revision, or are you just assuming they're moving their latest state-of-the-art over from the Tesla (which isn't the most unlikely thing)? For now all I know "on paper" is the Tesla motor used instead of the ACM/msuperV3 one, and added cooling fans.

Also, apparently your new one is blue (said that in another thread)? Coincidence, or something specific for this revision? Still loving the white one!:efeeec645d:

48249.jpg

I like the ACM ride too but do have a few wish list:

* a real headlight NOT a candle in the front

* I'm not sure if higher pedals would change the ride but it would be nice to not scrape when turning

* internal, retractable trolley handle in parallel to the wheel

3 hours ago, kour said:

thanks for this encomium of what i thought to be a superseded wheel! but what's that you say... a tesla-ized acm?? :blink1:

The new ACM is supposed to have the Tesla motor and firmware, plus fans.

50 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Great video. While I may be biased because I only have one wheel and it's the ACM, I really believe it has the best form factor/riding feel of any wheel (wide stance; grounded and low and stable; loving the softer, cushioned riding mode vs. the hard, unpleasant ones of most other wheels). It would be such a great wheel if it had stronger and more trustworthy electronics. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng:efee8c29ce:

Do you have any specific (confirmed?) information from @Jason McNeil on what they changed in this "Tesla" revision, or are you just assuming they're moving their latest state-of-the-art over from the Tesla (which isn't the most unlikely thing)? For now all I know "on paper" is the Tesla motor used instead of the ACM/msuperV3 one, and added cooling fans.

Also, apparently your new one is blue (said that in another thread)? Coincidence, or something specific for this revision? Still loving the white one!:efeeec645d:

48249.jpg

Jason doesn't sell ACMs anymore, but he asked Gotway to throw one in for his next shipment of wheels. They had some colors so I picked blue.

I'm primarily going off of what's on Speedyfeet's website for the spec's on the new wheel. Even if there are no differences I'm getting 300wh more battery, a unique blue color, and a new wheel. What's not to like :)

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looking forward to your insides inspection once you get yours (pleeeeeeeeeeeease). To not make this thread only about the ACM2, you inspired me to this:

The thing is, I really don't like opening my wheels unless I have to (screws that strip, snap, etc.). I think I'll save the possible screw problems for when I'm forced to open the wheel.

Sorry :(

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The thing is, I really don't like opening my wheels unless I have to (screws that strip, snap, etc.). I think I'll save the possible screw problems for when I'm forced to open the wheel.

Sorry :(

I just meant opening the side panel at the board side for some photos, nothing more complicated.

And I see the Gotway repair fatigue you mentioned not too long ago is real. (Un)luckily since your upcoming new baby is a Gotway, you may have to open it anyways when something's wrong:efeebb3acc:

The ACM really has the best form factor (for me), so I'd love to see a reasonably robust one (thicker cables).

--

Also, can you rate the hardnesses of the ACM and Tesla ride modes? Aka soft (ACM), medium (ACM), hard (ACM), soft (Tesla), medium (Tesla), hard (Tesla). The ACM's medium mode is just so nice and relaxing and fits my riding style.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I just meant opening the side panel at the board side for some photos, nothing more complicated.

And I see the Gotway repair fatigue you mentioned not too long ago is real. (Un)luckily since your upcoming new baby is a Gotway, you may have to open it anyways when something's wrong:efeebb3acc:

The ACM really has the best form factor (for me), so I'd love to see a reasonably robust one (thicker cables).

--

Also, can you rate the hardnesses of the ACM and Tesla ride modes? Aka soft (ACM), medium (ACM), hard (ACM), soft (Tesla), medium (Tesla), hard (Tesla). The ACM's medium mode is just so nice and relaxing and fits my riding style.

I know you just meant the side panel. But I've had issues with those screws too. And then there's the 'prying the panel off the double-sided tape on the battery' difficulty.

Like you say, it's a Gotway and therefore I'll probably be opening it at some point. But as I type this I have no plans on opening the shell when I get the wheel. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I can certainly compare the two wheel as you suggest.

Archived