tire load capacity

novazeus

could somebody please explain why an euc is exempt from normal ways of calculating the load carrying capacity of a tire, ie tire capacity minus the weight of the euc = rider and gear? here's my ks-16s and ks-18s ratings.

IMG_4838.PNG

IMG_4849.PNG

Don't know, my only idea is so they can't be sued because the rider was over the weight limit, if a tire fails and someone got hurt.  But there have been very few reports of tire failure on this forum, and those are just flats.  http://www.ninebotrepair.com/  you might call this place and get some definite answers.  If you follow that link, on the left bottom a live chat window will pop up.

i called ninebot usa and talked to a nice guy there and his s1's have the same tire as my s2. no load capacity rating on the tire. so now he's curious also and is gonna use his resources to try and figure out why euc's come with under rated load capacity tires unless you are really skinny or little. a machine is only as good as its weakest link and this one is apparent on inspection.

I assume the reason is simply that it is difficult to buy an adequate tire at all. I am personally not particularly worried though. While I have read tons of reports of accidents I can't remember a single one due to tire failure.

it seems that nobody that rides euc's cares that probably everyone out there riding one is over capacity of the tire the manufacturer put on. i was trying to figure out why the manufacturer would put an inadequate tire (by load rating, yeah  i know ur fat mama rides one with no problems, scientific theory). so i thought availability of tires. it is impossible to find bicycle tires with a high load rating, but wheel barrow tires are wider but small diameter and rated very high. and wheel barrow is what i've seen wheels referred to as unless i'm mistaken.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:00 PM, Mono said:

I assume the reason is simply that it is difficult to buy an adequate tire at all. I am personally not particularly worried though. While I have read tons of reports of accidents I can't remember a single one due to tire failure.

I'm not worried about tire failure as much as electronics failure.  Tire pops the motor still keeps you upright.  Power fails and you faceplant.

@steve454 i know, that's so comforting to know that tire overloading is the least of a euc rider's worries. great sales pitch. don't worry about that tire rating, the shoddy electronics will kill u. i think there's an old plane joke like that.

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@steve454 i know, that's so comforting to know that tire overloading is the least of a euc rider's worries. great sales pitch. don't worry about that tire rating, the shoddy electronics will kill u. i think there's an old plane joke like that.

Sorry about that, now I remember my 1972 Suzuki 185, less than 6 months old died on me while riding.  Took it back for warranty and they said the CDI failed.   (capcitive discharge ignition)  No fire so it wouldn't run.  Fixed under warranty, never had a problem later.  Then my 1979 Chevy Silverado pickup ignition failed about 6 times, kept replacing the distributor,  now I distrust electronics, even though 99% of the time they work flawlessly.  So that's just me.  What awes me is all these people riding fast and never getting hurt.  Guess the electronics are a lot better now.

@steve454 don't get me started on vehicles. my command center/radio is all fubar in my 2015 probably 75k msrp truck. wish i just had an am radio. i do like the backup camera tho. gotta take it to the dealer for warranty. pita. i've always bought new vehicles and idk why. they are all junk. quality control across all manufacturers is a joke. beancounters run things, not engineers or builders.

i've got one of these on order and i hope these guys pull it off. i think this might be a real last mile transport. slow enough and the big huge safety feature, it has a handle. it's technically an euc, i think. just has a handle. they think like i do on marketing.

IMG_0132.JPG

Archived