Any experiences with fire/ explosions?

lhwu

Hi, 

I am new to EUCs but have done some extensive research on them and am purchasing for my first wheel quite soon. I would like some input on whether or not there are incidents of EUC explosions and fire. I know hoverboards have been banned on college campuses around the US due to these incidents. Bans aside, I would like to know the frequency of such incidents compared to those of hoverboards. I know that the consumer population for hoverboards is/was larger than that of the EUC, and if that isn't the case, then there is much more widespread news coverage of hoverboard fire accidents. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The batteries in brand EUCs are very safe. Unless you intentionally short them, you won't get them to explode so easily. The hoverboard problems were caused by cheap cells afaik, and the resultant ban was just a moral panic, not justified by the quality of regular batteries other than the cheap ones in the affected models.

• There was a case lately where @YoshiSkySun's ACM crashed at 50 km/h, crashed down some very rough boulders (which most likely broke it open), went into saltwater, and caught fire shortly after being pulled out. Even then, just one third of one battery pack burned, the cells right next to the burning cells didn't even burn. Here's a video:
  • There's a picture of a 1.5 or 2 year old, early KS18A version that burnt floating around somewhere here. Not sure why it burned.

That's all I ever heard of battery-related happenings with EUCs, it's a non-issue. Of all worries one can have about EUCs, batteries are not really among them.

There's the basic fact that if you short a huge capacity battery pack, you'll get heat/fire/an explosion, but that's about it. Again, if you don't do it intentionally...

I still think the Yoshi fire was a hydrogen fire cause by a spark and 250a of electrolysis caught in the case.

In Yogo-cycles, my new term for EUCs, you get more motherboard/controlboard failures or meltdowns than battery fires and this is only under strenuous use during extreme heat. Certain older designs have worked this out of the current models. Kind of like an old intel i5 core laptop on a leather couch during the summer, it will overheat too, and powerdown. In yogocycles or Yogos for short, they usually give a warning and the vitals like heat, speed, and mileage of the Yogo can be accessed by an app in realtime. So it can be monitored for the cautious. There is no real fire here, because the unit just shuts down and the wires melt or not depending on the scenario's parameters.

it has been 3 years, and three model cycles, since those problems and a lot has been learned technologically and regarding Chinese business Governance, that although it is still the wild west in Shenzen as a free market, it is maturing. Tools like Ali express and regional retailers like eWheels and the others are forcing these companies to be accountably responsible as a business practice. These companies have social media outreach and are building a fan base among the specific models like car companies or bike companies.

Another driving factor in battery safety is the research and help driving the high output miniaturization of batteries is in the drone market. Certain LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate, also used in drones) batteries use a phosphate cathode and cannot catch fire chemically. Segway has been developing this market and using them in many of their Yogo models.

It really is a study on the market economy's ability to regulate itself while maturing into a higher class of sophisticated industrialization while selling in an over- regulated market. :sleep1: economicz zzz's. Many models that havent kept up with the technology, whether in China, Huanxi or USA, Solowheel have fallen out of favor as others like Gotway, Kingsong, and Inmotion have continued to evolve while safety appears to be a balancing factor in all of their business plans and marketing campaigns.

shit can happen ;-)  but relativly seldom

55 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

the high output miniaturization of batteries is in the drone market. Certain LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate, also used in drones) batteries use a phosphate cathode and cannot catch fire chemically. Segway has been developing this market and using them in many of their Yogo models.

Which models of EUC should that be?

Ninebots all use Lithium 18650 batteries...the only Euc i know that -had- used lifepo4 was the very first Solowheel...and they also used Lithium batteries in all later models.

Because of the bad energie/weight factor knowadays LiFePo4 dont have much usescases anymore, most drones use liPo's,

Archived