Pedal assisted Euc!

Vogelfrei

Hi, I own a airwheel x3 and a geared unelectric unicycle: a Huni rex

I'm looking for help using the airwheel motor to have the Huni-rex (about a 43" virtual wheel) pedal assist just to climb hills, to downhill and regen battery, to keep idling effortless and to help me starting to pedal from a stop. Don't absolutely need it to go faster.

Would you help me with my new idea?

Howdy, It seems like you would need to change the EUC controller by replacing the gyro (tilt measurement ) with a strain gauge (chain tension perhaps).  Then the assist would be proportional to how hard you press on the pedals, and would assist in the same direction that you wanted to go.  There is a feedback loop in there somewhere that would need to be tuned.  Not sure if any of this is true, but it seems like a place to start.

Need to look for a strain gauge using cogs or the axle. I don't have a chain tensioner. I can use it with the axle 'cause of pedals aren't fixed togheter to the wheel axle. They're linked trought 2 different chains to the wheel

Sorry, but this all will not work without a complete new firmware/software to the EUC...

That would be the same if you install a Hardware brake to an EUC....faceplant warranty.

So the same goes for an acceleration help.

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Sorry, but this all will not work without a complete new firmware/software to the EUC...

That would be the same if you install a Hardware brake to an EUC....faceplant warranty.

So the same goes for an acceleration help.

So now should seek for anyone who tried this: I need a new firmware or at least a firmware and a guide to learn modding it... next days I'll try to tear apart aiwheel and look at it. I'll need help choosing what save and what leave

46 minutes ago, Vogelfrei said:

So now should seek for anyone who tried this: I need a new firmware or at least a firmware and a guide to learn modding it... next days I'll try to tear apart aiwheel and look at it. I'll need help choosing what save and what leave

You could look to an e-bike forum ( like in germany the pedelec forum which has great diy topics snd many experienced members). Unfortionately e-bikes normaly use 36V motors and your airwheel has a ~67V motor - so this e-bike hard and firmware cannot be easily be reused for this...

It looks like there is at least one geared, torque sensing, eletric-assist unicycle out there.  Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it gives you a person you can contact for more specific information.  In the video he talks about some of the technical details of getting the electric-assist to work.  As @Chriull mentioned, you could look to an e-bike forum for more information.  The second link is to an e-bike forum that posted a link to the video, so there may be some help there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1n6XAypag

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/general-discussions/13226-a-geared-torque-sensing-electric-assist-unicycle-prototype

2 hours ago, Code In Space said:

It looks like there is at least one geared, torque sensing, eletric-assist unicycle out there.  Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it gives you a person you can contact for more specific information.  In the video he talks about some of the technical details of getting the electric-assist to work.  As @Chriull mentioned, you could look to an e-bike forum for more information.  The second link is to an e-bike forum that posted a link to the video, so there may be some help there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1n6XAypag

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/general-discussions/13226-a-geared-torque-sensing-electric-assist-unicycle-prototype

Cool idea.  Sign me up!

23 hours ago, Vogelfrei said:

Hi, I own a airwheel x3 and a geared unelectric unicycle: a Huni rex

I'm looking for help using the airwheel motor to have the Huni-rex (about a 43" virtual wheel) pedal assist just to climb hills, to downhill and regen battery, to keep idling effortless and to help me starting to pedal from a stop. Don't absolutely need it to go faster.

Would you help me with my new idea?

Love that idea, I would love to have one as I like a lot to pedal!! And yes, as someone already told, Justin did that.

Justin talks about their proprietary motor controller and Cycle Analyst -- since it is their own technology, they can do that new devices. We don't have such technology and so we can do that. This is where OpenSource plays a crucial role, we can join the community efforts and develop our own technology and then everyone will be able to build new different devices and in the end, accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles that are really important to protect the environment!! (just like Tesla mission).

For the firmware and controller board, we still don't have an OpenSource solution for EUC. But I am being developing (with a help of other members) OpenSource firmware for EUC and it is not far to have a working prototype... see here:

Archived