training with balance board?

It's like riding a bike, it's retarded like a balance board if you are standing still (again like a bike) although I can stop at intersections and wait I sometimes put a foot down. If you are rolling there is no balancing issue any longer.

I think a balance board is a good idea.  It is true that it's like balancing an EU that isn't moving. But, in my experience, you still need balancing when the EU is moving.  I built a balance board that is about the width of the Ninebot pedals and the pedal height from the ground.  The way I look at it is if I can get halfway decent on the balance board I should be great on a moving Ninebot.

On 7/30/2015 at 11:24 AM, esaj said:

Using a balance board can't hurt, I'd expect it to speed up the development of balance with the wheel also.

I can see that it could "improve balance" and be useful to practice a relaxed and upright body posture under stressful balancing-conditions, but I can also see that it could hurt learning to ride a unicycle. It seems to me that the reflexes you need to acquire to balance a unicycle are different (and to some extend counterintuitive): balancing a unicycle comes from turning the unicycle while moving (like for a bicycle). Leaning or slanting or sliding is not effective and is a reflex one should rather remove when learning to ride a unicycle. Forward-backward balancing seems to be similar for a balance board and an EUC, but this is really not a challenge when learning to ride an EUC. Disclosure: I have never tried a balance board myself. 

I said this in another thread before i got my Ninebot One, and i still think it's a great comparison.  Especially the leaning forward and backwards is the same on the balance board, subtle movements.

The hardest part still is getting started, u kinda have to practice it, doing a little "jump" when putting your other foot on the pedal.  the riding itself is fairly easy.  Just like riding a real bike, even now when you have to start cycling after a red light turns green, you need some momentum before you have real balance, if for some reason u didn't start fast enough you will struggle too.

Bwuce Wee

I just got my balance board, hoped on it and stood there for minutes. It's no challenge to me whatsoever so I guess I need something more difficult to practice....

Next step, Ninebot One.  But it sounds like it may not be too difficult for you.  Congratulations.

I, on the other hand, must have pretty bad balance.  Must be from age and all my health issues.

Keep us up to date on how your training goes.  Have you got your Ninebot One yet?

I haven't got a balance board, but if it's the kind which tilts along two axes (like this: http://www.gymstick.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/balance_board2.jpg), I'd expect that you'll have no trouble riding an EUC, as the wheel will handle balancing back and forwards, you'll just have to balance sideways (and not much even sideways once you pick up speed). The biggest obstacle will probably be mounting. If you have that good balance, I'd suggest not using the training wheels for long (I took mine off after trying in the garage for something like 10-15 minutes and then trying them on the street for another 10-15 minutes). About 20-30 minutes after taking them off and constantly jumping on & off the wheel, I could mount the 14" generic and get going, first very short distances, but in about dozen or so tries I could already ride the street from one end to another (about 100m) in one go, just had to stop and turn the wheel around by hand, as I couldn't turn very sharply yet. Here's my thread about my (subjective) learning curve, with video of my second fall and what happened later on: 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived