Brand New MCM4 rubbing noise and hesitation on acceleration

Hello everyone.  Brand new user here.  Been riding my gotway mcm4 for 2 days total.  Got the hang of it taking off from a wall yesterday and was trying to take off not using a wall today.  I was starting in the grass to limit damage to myself and the device.  Was working fine this morning.  Finally got to take off and move with out the wall or falling over and hit a small hole in the yard that knocked me off.  Wasn't going very fast at all as I had just started out.  Once I picked it up it now has a click and hesitation at start and makes a kind of rubbing noise while the wheel is spinning at higher speeds.  I am going to ask the seller I purchased from on Ebay that has a shop in New York what he thinks.  My concern is seeing as how as I am a new rider and the casing is scraped up quite a bit from practice that no one will be willing to help me out. 

If anyone can give me some assistance it would be greatly appreciated as I hadn't planned on it breaking in less than 2 days riding nor did I plan on throwing around $900 out the window.  I did take the cover off both sides just to make sure nothing came unplugged.  Did not see anything that immediately caught my attention.

Posted a youtube video below.

Thanks to anyone that can give me some help.

Video of MCM4 acting up

You said it rides at high speeds? I did not see that on the video. 

Two things are likely. 

1-) the cable connecting the 3 hall sensors coming out of the motor and connecting to the circuit board came loose on the circuit board. You will have to open the wheel and check that cable. It is the one with 5 small gage wires going into the motor. 

The link below shows how to take apart. 

If it does not look obvious you will have to remove the board and see that the pins in the white connector do not wiggle up and down  if the do, that is the problem  

2) If you stalled the motor on the grass, you might have blown an MOSFET . This would be obvious by looking at the circuit board . 

3) one of the Hall effect sensors inside the motor is defective. You will need someone  that knows how to check to diagnose that.

can you explain in more details the sequence of events?

6 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:
6 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Thanks for the reply Carlos, much appreciated.  To answer your questions:

1. I do not know if it operates ok at high speed.  After it started I was scared to try being a new user and not wanting to damage anything else.

The sequence of events was pretty simple:

I was in the front grass attempting to start from a stop without pushing off of a wall or something else.  I got going and was leaning far forward to try to get it going so I didn't fall over.  While leaning forward I hit a small divit in the yard which sent me jumping off in front of the wheel.  The wheel fell to its side.  I'm not sure if stalled or not.  I was traveling at minimal speed as I had just started moving.  Only went about 5 feet or so.  After this I picked it up and was going to try again and this began happening. 

3 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

Minimal speed and a stall like sand or hole will put a current surge and it is likely a MOSFET burned up. It's not supposed to be that fragil. If you have a local dealer and it's a new wheel get them to get you another one or have them fix it. 

Carlos,

No local dealer, purchased from a dealer in New York(about 4 hours from me).  How hard would it be to fix?  Could a local hobby shop fix this?  Any other recommendations on another type of shop that could fix it?  How much money am I looking at to fix it?

Thanks again for all the help.

I think I found my problem.  Looks like the one MOSFET and when the MOSFET went burnt through the red wire.  Not sure what goes to.  Just don't know how to figure out which MOSFET to buy?

Thanks everyone for the help

PCB1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Acturbo said:

I think I found my problem.  Looks like the one MOSFET and when the MOSFET went burnt through the red wire.  Not sure what goes to.  Just don't know how to figure out which MOSFET to buy?

Thanks everyone for the help

PCB1.jpg

That IS NOT THE MOSFET. if your wheelnis unsedr warranty get them to send you a replacement board. 

I believe that chip that blew up is the driver chip to turn on and off the MOSFET. The MOSFETs are the ones with the screws. Inspect those also. Because you might have one of them also bad. 

The chip the blew up is the same as the one on the left and the one on the right. 

The red wire looks like is one of the wires going to the battery pack to do battery cell voltage balancing .

Your picture doesn't not show the chip part numbers very well can you take a picture high res and well illuminated?

bit seriously. If your wheel is new. Get your supplier to send you a new one. 

My picture below looks like a MOSFET blew up from looking at the burn marks. 

IMG_1242.JPG

14 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

That IS NOT THE MOSFET. if your wheelnis unsedr warranty get them to send you a replacement board. 

I believe that chip that blew up is the driver chip to turn on and off the MOSFET. The MOSFETs are the ones with the screws. Inspect those also. Because you might have one of them also bad. 

The chip the blew up is the same as the one on the left and the one on the right. 

The red wire looks like is one of the wires going to the battery pack to do battery cell voltage balancing .

Your picture doesn't not show the chip part numbers very well can you take a picture high res and well illuminated?

bit seriously. If your wheel is new. Get your supplier to send you a new one. 

Shows my knowledge of small electronics I guess.  Is this photo better?

PCB3.jpg

I don't really see anything written on the chips.  Then again I have no idea what I'm looking for.  I'm not going to take it apart any further until I hear back from the seller. 

Thanks Carlos

Ok so good news.  The seller is sending out a replacement board today so I should be back up and running by the end of the week.  :D

Thanks again to everyone that helped me out. 

Cool! I don't think it was your fault, looks more like the red cable was damaged and damaged the board, or somehow the board damaged the red cable.

You can solder/do the connection between board cables and motor cables? Nice.

Well, bad luck to have this after only 2 days but looks like it will be fixed soon so:thumbup:

Archived