The most reliable EUC(s)

Pingouin

Hi guys,

I know that reliability is a very important quality for a long lasting EUC, I know there aren't enough EUC riders to get a real statistic, but what would in your opinion, or experience, be the most reliable EUC out there ?

Most EUC has had an issue, but I haven't heard of issues (I mean failure) on some EUC, like the inmotion V5 & V3C, the gotway Monster, Kingsong KS14D (maybe too young), IPS lhotz and the Solowheel Extreme.

I heard that Gotway has had a bunch of issues with the first generation of ACM, Msuper3, and then the wire issue with the S+ versions, enough so that some riders consider gotway as an unreliable brand, Kingsong had issues with the axles on KS14C & the pedals of the KS16B along with burnt fuses, Inmotion had some issues with a few V8 but nothing major, Ninebot has had some well known issues with the E+ (much less with the S2), but that is only from what actual owners report to me, not from true global stats.

I think I would be willing to pay 500$ more for a reinforced EUC (axles, bearings, PCB..) that can last 100 000km with no worries, or at least as much as road bikes (35 000 - 45 000km), would you ?

I would pay double the price for a wheel that was designed by NASA and had Amazon server reliability. Easily.

If I'm lucky in my unlucky crash due to equipment malfunction then it would take me weeks to recover from and injury. I'd prefer to just pay up as my body is worth more than a few thousand dollars.

Lol and also I hate wearing safety equipment but I've also crashed and hit the ground a few times this week. So I am hypocritical...

I mean to say, if I crash due to my fault then I am almost always able to turn it into a graceful roll or a cartwheel but I gather a cutout has no defense and no warning.

I would pay a very high premium for either safety or reliability, or both.

Easily double. Probably more.

I'm a big believer in buying quality once instead of easily replaceable disposable items over and over again. Sometimes that makes no sense.  And I'm willing to adapt to those cases and buy accordingly.

But I believe it matters a lot in the case of EUC's because safety is involved, and it's hard to overstate the value of not being injured or killed.

Would I rather pay an extra $1 or $2 thousand USD for a safer, perhaps more durable EUC than spend an extra $10,000 on dental work because of an unnecessary crash?  Absolutely.

It does not exist. Or may I say the only company trying is Solowheel. And that is why they cost almost double. 

The other companies are using e-bike motors not designed for pedals hanging low putting a lot of leverage on the axel. 

Is all about money. Who ever make a solid wheel for an affordable price should dominate but someone need to be brave an build such wheel. The market might be too small for them to spend the moneys so  might never happen. 

It is more likely for someone to buy a hover board than buy a unicycle. 

In my city of 500,000 I only seen 2 unicycles and one of those was mine. 

Ive owned two wheels in my life and have never had a cut out or malfunction of any kind on either:

Ips lhotz

Inmotion v5f+

Theyve worked perfectly. I think IPS might well be dead now so I would consider Inmotion over all others unless you have very specific size/range/price conditionals that demand a look elsewhere.

From everything I have read, plus my limited experience owning two Ninebot machines, it seems like Ninebot and Inmotion make the most reliable wheels. Gotway seems to have surpassed both companies in the popularity contest but seem to have some quality issues and maybe some reliability issues. IPS seem to be on the lower end of quality and reliability. 

Archived