Airwheel X8 on rough terrain

fbcregan

Spent the week at a youth church camp and took my Airwheel X8. It was amazing. It flew on the road, offroad, and up and down a really serious hill. The hill was so daunting that I used my strap to make sure I didn't bang up my Airwheel if it couldn't make it. But it had no problems. I'm impressed. 

Here's a video of me going around the camp and tackling the hill. https://youtu.be/hfoSAQcCRD0

Can I make a suggestion.

From your video, I found you ride while shoot the video which I think is dangerous.

In addition, when you buy airwheel X8?

eucs are really good as mobile camera platforms and loads of people manage to film whilst riding. The only danger is smashing your camera if your riding is over ambitious so knowing your capabilities is key to success.

Sorry but, I think you drove all the time on the road.
Video was not offroad video. Perhaps you upload the wrong video?

Yeah, most of this video was taken on the road - though a pretty crappy road. But I was showing the grounds that I did ride all over during the week I was there. It went over grass, gravel, rock, road, and mud with no problems.

Can I make a suggestion.

From your video, I found you ride while shoot the video which I think is dangerous.

In addition, when you buy airwheel X8?

I'm not sure what's so dangerous about filming while riding. I'm a total of 4 inches off the ground. Not that big of a deal. I've never quite understood the use of pads or helmets with these wheels. (But I don't wear them for biking either, so maybe I'm just dumb.)

As to your second question, are you asking why I bought the Airwheel or when? I'll answer both. I bought it about a month ago so I'd had it a couple of weeks before going to camp. Why? I got the X8 cause I was looking for something like the Solowheel - which was the only EUC I'd ever heard of - that was cheaper. The Airwheel had good reviews on Amazon and the X8 had the larger motor and wheel compared to the X3. 

Having become a part of these communities, I'd love a Ninebot One or a Gotway M18 now, but the cost is higher and I can't find a way to get a Gotway in the USA anyway. So I'm pretty happy with my X8 for the time being.

Yeah, most of this video was taken on the road - though a pretty crappy road. But I was showing the grounds that I did ride all over during the week I was there. It went over grass, gravel, rock, road, and mud with no problems.

I'm not sure what's so dangerous about filming while riding. I'm a total of 4 inches off the ground. Not that big of a deal. I've never quite understood the use of pads or helmets with these wheels. (But I don't wear them for biking either, so maybe I'm just dumb.)

As to your second question, are you asking why I bought the Airwheel or when? I'll answer both. I bought it about a month ago so I'd had it a couple of weeks before going to camp. Why? I got the X8 cause I was looking for something like the Solowheel - which was the only EUC I'd ever heard of - that was cheaper. The Airwheel had good reviews on Amazon and the X8 had the larger motor and wheel compared to the X3. 

Having become a part of these communities, I'd love a Ninebot One or a Gotway M18 now, but the cost is higher and I can't find a way to get a Gotway in the USA anyway. So I'm pretty happy with my X8 for the time being.

Haha, it seems Airwheel X8 is cost-effective.

Howcome you would like those better? What are the reasons? Im in the position myself to chose my first EU so Im qurious.

/Evert

Howcome you would like those better? What are the reasons? Im in the position myself to chose my first EU so Im qurious.

/Evert

Maybe I've just been influenced by those I read on these forums but they seem to be a little more respected of a brand. I'd like the extra speed and battery they offer over my Airwheel too. I'm always wishing it went a little faster. The Ninebot has features via their app, which is cool. The Gotway or KingSong 18" wheels are fast with large batteries. 

Maybe I've just been influenced by those I read on these forums but they seem to be a little more respected of a brand. I'd like the extra speed and battery they offer over my Airwheel too. I'm always wishing it went a little faster. The Ninebot has features via their app, which is cool. The Gotway or KingSong 18" wheels are fast with large batteries. 

Have you looked at IPS?

/Evert

• 3 weeks later...

Regan, I still have my X8 and enjoy it, and would agree it can handle rougher terrain better than I expected.  However, you should really try a EUC with adjustable ride settings in "hard" or "madden" mode like Gotway, King Song, or Ninebot. The X8 is very "soft" in comparison. In a hard setting, there is almost no give- it's like a stable platform that doesn't sway at all. This type of ride program is actually way better than what the X8 can do on rough surfaces, especially loose gravelly terrain.  A softer ride setting throws off the calibration slightly on gravel and causes the pedals to tilt too much especially at higher speeds. This doesn't happen at all in a stiffer ride mode because there is no "give" as the wheel looses traction on the pebbles.  You can power through like it's nothing at all.  It's quite awesome. :)

Regan, I still have my X8 and enjoy it, and would agree it can handle rougher terrain better than I expected.  However, you should really try a EUC with adjustable ride settings in "hard" or "madden" mode like Gotway, King Song, or Ninebot. The X8 is very "soft" in comparison. In a hard setting, there is almost no give- it's like a stable platform that doesn't sway at all. This type of ride program is actually way better than what the X8 can do on rough surfaces, especially loose gravelly terrain.  A softer ride setting throws off the calibration slightly on gravel and causes the pedals to tilt too much especially at higher speeds. This doesn't happen at all in a stiffer ride mode because there is no "give" as the wheel looses traction on the pebbles.  You can power through like it's nothing at all.  It's quite awesome. :)

I believe that. I definitely wish the ride was a bit stiffer on my X8. I'd love to get a Gotway Msuper 18 but they're pretty pricey. I may look into a Ninebot or King Song too when I'm ready to upgrade. I love the 16" size and wish I could get a large motor and battery with a 16" wheel. Can't seem to find that much. 14" is too small for the terrain I ride and 18" seems pretty big.

Archived