Two EUC's to build a seated "Segway"

mrelwood

5 minutes ago, Chris Westland said:

Already been done ... it's a hoverboard with a seat and totally uncool ... love the thumbs up ... you can buy one at http://www.boatstogo.com/hoverseat.asp

Thanks Chris, but we discussed this topic a bit further already.

A gokart isn't suitable for me since:

- rider sits so low, it would be difficult and painful for me to get up.

- It's a small tired hoverboard, not suitable for pathways in the woods.

- Too low and a too big a footprint to be useful in a grocery store.

- Not enough range to reach to my parents or to my brother.

I decided to go with IPS Lhotz, which I received yesterday. See a few posts back for a video. I already drew plans for a seated unicycle. It's gonna be fun!

I'm starting to get the steering in control! I can turn 180° in about 4m diameter, and ride with about 0,5m precision. I can stop for either side, but can only start with my right foot on the Lhotz. Could be that my left ankle doesn't have the strength to support me alone. The pedals are too narrow for my huge EU 46 shoes, so the force to bend the knee sideways feels quite strong even with an IPS T350 style upper support.

I watched a lot of beginner guides, but I still feel that major points of the steering were not mentioned. For me it is to turn in slow speed, bend the outside knee. In high speed bend the INSIDE knee slightly, and lean where you want to go. And the wheel pressure should be atleast around 3.5 bar!

If I could stand for longer periods of time, I would love to use the Lhotz alone! But as it is, I'm now starting to build the first prototype, a seated one-wheeler. Will post here as it evolves.

You're already pretty good. Slow driving is the hardest.

Depending on your "healing speed", don't forget proper wrist, knee, elbow guards.

It's normal to only be able to start with one foot. I still can't use my right foot first. It's a skill that needs to be trained first.

My beginner tips would be:

Ways to turn: shift weight between feet (I find that harder), rotate your upper body (easier). A third way to turn is to use your hip muscles (usually for quick balancing corrections, but later it's for rapid 180 degree turns and such). So turn with your hips and upper body instead of your legs.

Braking: just bend your knees, you'll automatically brake (it shifts your weight back)

--

Looking forward to what you'll cook up. Also, if you want a seated one-wheeler, there's this:

I got the prototype of a frame to the point that I could test drive it. (Added a handlebar and two support bars after the photo.) The frame itself was actually pretty good, but for the life of me, I couldn't get it to turn! The time I used learning EUC regularly, got me nowhere with the seated frame. I have to watch the kid's video a few times more, but I'm not hopeful. I tried without hands on the handlebar, tried all kinds of things. To stand up with hands on the handlebar did get some steering, but the posture is not usable. No point making a seat for that. So I removed the frame and went for a ride standing up. This is the way the EUC clearly works the best.

So a seated 1-wheeler is out. Now I have to decide wether to order another Lhotz and go for the 2-wheeler. I think I will.

2017-03-22 18.13.47.jpg

Archived