Lopifit - an alternative electric vehicle

Bob Eisenman

Technically, I don't see how walking on it can generate power/speed in a more efficient manner than a traditional bicycle pedal mechanism. In the video (3:05) they implied this. She says "I overtake most cyclists with ease, although I hardly make an effort at all." while just walking very slowly on it.

EDIT: My bad. I must have skipped over the first part of the video the first time. Watched it all just now.

I like the concept; especially for people who have trouble sitting, don't like a bike saddle wedged up their ass, or don't like pedals, or need to do weight bearing physio on aching, damaged joints.  For a partner who doesn't EUC, it's a good alternative, so a couple can explore together, one on an EUC and this.  

No John, it's no kind of work out, the motor is obviously in some form of "pedal assist mode", and the ratio is quite high, and there is possibly a motor only mode too, like most Ebikes. 

Im not sure of its legality in countries where a device has to be pedalled in order not to be a "motorcycle " as in the UK, but it's more legal that a normal electric scooter because the rider is putting in some sort of power input.  Fortunately, it's a non threatening format, so I suspect it will not get unwanted attention from the fuzz.

it a bit long, out of necessity, so more cumbersome than a regular bike, and not really public transport friendly.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

No John, it's no kind of work out, the motor is obviously in some form of "pedal assist mode", and the ratio is quite high, and there is possibly a motor only mode too, like most Ebikes. 

My bad. I must have skipped over the first part the video the first time. Watched it all just now. Even this topic said "electric". :pooping:

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Im not sure of its legality in countries where a device has to be pedalled in order not to be a "motorcycle " as in the UK,

Spot on, yet again another harmless device that falls completely foul of the UK's out of date and out of step laws - no peddles so it's not an electric bike, no type approval so it's not a motorbike so it's simply illegal!

12 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Technically, I don't see how walking on it can generate power/speed in a more efficient manner than a traditional bicycle pedal mechanism

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ibP3-jLYTnw

The non-electric powered version of walking treadmill exists too.

For this older rider with regular bouts of back pain the walking stance with rigid handle bars is an attractive thought. When an EUC 'faceplant'  occurs with 'butt high face low' the aggravation to the spine can be significant. The Lopifit appears non threatening as a potential faceplant device. One of the paths to recovery for me following lower back pain issues is the ability to regain an upright posture from a chair and a modest walking pace. Oddly under other circumstances the EUC is very therapeutic in reducing or eliminating lower back pain.

My take on the Lopifit which brakes the treadmill with one brake and the motor shut off and vehicle motion with the other is that the treadmill pace is relatively constant and independent of the actual Lopifit speed. Perhaps an on-off type of effect on the motor when walking on the treadmill. 

Bulky...too long...wide area behind front wheel might impact obstacles...good for garage storage only...easy to mount in a stable way...good braking power...battery power kind of slim before you need to walk it....upright with hands on a stationary handset....familiar looking Electric motor....potential for a brushless motor design....able to go over speed bumps without hanging up underneath?

The UK laws sound problematic. Cool today rubbish tomorrow?

Archived