Dual wheel for a beginner. Good idea?

Spidyy

Hello there !

I'm all new on this forum after the purchase of an inMotion V3 Pro. I'm trying to learn from the hard way and had a hard time to find some beginners video, until I came on this forum.

My issue right now is that I'm trying to use my V3P to commute from/to work, and the road on the way isn't really the most pretty one. I have a nice and flat cycling path during half the way, but the other half is inside a curved down park and poorly maintained sidewalks.

The key feature of the V3P is to be a dual parallel wheeled vehicle. On flat terrain, it is really nice and stable ! But on rough terrain, I can easily lose my balance when one wheel hit something but not the other, as they are not individually aligned with my centre of gravity. (This is not a bicycle after all.)

So I'm starting to worry. Is the V3P (or any dual wheeled unicycle) really is appropriate for such rough terrain? Wouldn't it be easier for me to trade it for a pure mono-wheeled unicycle?

Can anyone who tried both mono and dual wheeled unicycle give me some advices or help me decide to switch of/keep my V3P? Is there some unicycles more suited for rough terrain?

With regards !

Spidyy

I started out on an Airwheel Q3 and whilst I'm sure it was easier to grasp the concept of how to ride on a flat surface that a true EUC, I wouldn't recommend it. As you described, when it gets even slightly bumpy, you get thrown all over the place.

After persevering for a year, I upgraded to a single wheel (GotWay ACM) and I was genuinely staggered how different it was. I no longer had to brace myself to hop up small kerbs and dodge bits of gravel on the pavements. I'd guess it took me about about a day to switch from dual to single wheel before I felt confident.

2 hours ago, Spidyy said:

Can anyone who tried both mono and dual wheeled unicycle give me some advices or help me decide to switch of/keep my V3P? Is there some unicycles more suited for rough terrain?

You're right about V3 range being more suitable for learners. It's handy to understand the mechanics of riding, and also to use for recreational purposes (that's what the speakers are for in the end!). When it comes to commuting, we rarely see anyone riding to work on a dual-wheel simply because of the limited mobility. 

Any single-wheel EUC would be suitable for uneven terrain. We have several Inmotions V5 in the UK, if you're looking for the same price range. If you also want to opt in for off-road riding and better speed/battery performance, look for 16"+ tyre wheels which are the majority of the market. 

Call it native advertising, but I can suggest few models we have available in the UK for next day delivery :P 

3 hours ago, Spidyy said:

So I'm starting to worry. Is the V3P (or any dual wheeled unicycle) really is appropriate for such rough terrain? Wouldn't it be easier for me to trade it for a pure mono-wheeled unicycle?

You're 100% correct.

Many people (including myself) were attracted to the two-wheelers at first because the learning curve for the one-wheel seems so initially steep you doubt whether you're ever going to get it.

However, they are LESS stable (especially at speed) on anything other than a glass-flat surface and you're going in a perfectly straight line. Now that I know what I'm doing I look back and realise half the fun and 'achievement' of the euc is the learning curve. And once it's mastered it is extremely rewarding. Plus the control you have with just one wheel is unparalleled. 

You JUST have to get past the learning curve. I would recommend a Ninebot e+ or Inmotion v5f+ for a first one-wheel.

For me, the two-wheelers complete destroy the whole point of the medium.

When I was researching on different electric vehicles, to buy one, and one day I crossed a man with a double wheel unicycle and I thought it was the best thing for me and easy to learn, after seeing many videos on youtube and I met The videos of speedy feet uk and change your mind and buy me a ninebot e +, a few months later a gotway because I wanted more speed, but I lack very little to buy an inmotion v3 pro

1 hour ago, vladmarks said:

Call it native advertising, but I can suggest few models we have available in the UK for next day delivery :P 

In a way it would be helpful as I don't know many electric unicycle merchants in UK, but I'd first need to sell my V3P. I'm not on the rich side of the work, sadly. =p

Thanks everyone for your returns ! It conforts me in my choice to change for a monowheel scv.

On 01/02/2017 at 6:00 PM, Spidyy said:

In a way it would be helpful as I don't know many electric unicycle merchants in UK, but I'd first need to sell my V3P. I'm not on the rich side of the work, sadly. =p

We could do a trade-in if your V3 pro is in a good condition. That is, buying it for cash or credit store. It would be less than, say, selling it here in private sales section, but at least a guaranteed exchange. 

For the new ones, I would recommend either the Inmotion V8 16" wheel, or one of the Ninebots, depending on your budget these days. You can hit us up at support@project42.com or info@project42.com. Only have dealers in London, but it's something :)

Archived