Advice required. Replacing useless battery gauge on kingsong

Smoother

Yes, I said it, useless.  Coming home just now on 8 bars indicated ( 4 real bars). Fired up app to see voltage: 62% ! What? But actually that is accurate and misleading at the same time.  8(4) bars reads true for anything from 60% to 80%. Big difference, especially if pulling a big load up hill at speed, or accelerating hard from a stop, and doubly so on my little 340wh battery.

that also means that 6 bars (3 actually) would be lit from 60% all the way down into the face plant zone of 40%

a lovely old fashioned analog gauge with a needle would be fine, as long as I can look at it and get an actual reading.  Failing that, a digital volt meter would be fine. 

Any ideas?

KS14c340wh

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

Failing that, a digital volt meter would be fine. 

Any ideas?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Free-Shipping-0-56-Green-LED-DVM-Voltage-Panel-Meter-LED-4-5-150V-Digital-DC/912492417.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.1.xMObHi  I've used these on most of my wheels.I like to be able to see voltage level while riding.I have them installed on the ACM, KS-18A & 14C, IPS Kahuna & A130.

10 minutes ago, jrkline said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Free-Shipping-0-56-Green-LED-DVM-Voltage-Panel-Meter-LED-4-5-150V-Digital-DC/912492417.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.1.xMObHi  I've used these on most of my wheels.I like to be able to see voltage level while riding.I have them installed on the ACM, KS-18A & 14C, IPS Kahuna & A130.

Great! where can i buy a high beam for my KS14C? 

27 minutes ago, Diana-Tan said:

Great! where can i buy a high beam for my KS14C? 

33 minutes ago, Diana-Tan said:

I am a sales from Kingsong now, any problems, welcome to ask me :)

You work for King Song and you don't know where to get a high beam for a 14c?

3 hours ago, jrkline said:

That's what I had in mind. Where do you wire it in? And how, series, parallel, any other components needed?

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That's what I had in mind. Where do you wire it in? And how, series, parallel, any other components needed?

Parallel to the battery - black wire to black wire and red wire to red wire. No other components needed. Some ~40mA fast/medium fuse put into one of the voltmeter wires would be recommendable, in case the voltmeter fails (rain, missing quality controll, etc).

if you have good luck and your battery pack has no reverse voltage protection diode on the charge side (means you can measure the voltage at the charge plug - be very cautious to not shorten the pins anyhow!!) you can put the voltmeter at the charge side. There is no current flowing while operation and so connectors are not critical.

if this is not the case you have to measure at the discharge side, which has the full current flowing! So one has to make proper "inbetween connectors" which must not introduce resistance or they will melt away. As well as beeing mechanically stable. if not you have one more possibility to faceplant... ;(

so if you have to put the voltmeter on the discharge side and you are not 100% sure to be experienced to make a proper inbetween connector you also could take the voltage directly from the battery pack's BMS (opening the shrink wrap), the supply wires (removing some insulation from the supply wires) or from the motherboard.

Reading @esaj's "messing around with euc batteries" thread would be recommendable too (did not find it for linking) - every short can destroy your wheel and harm your health easily!

some forum members already installed voltmeters at their EUC - maybe they posted reports for some practical tipps.

Thanks @Chriull for that detailed response. Thanks for taking the time.

some of your words made me think; is there a way to wire the volt meter so that it reports a negative voltage when the battery is being charged by the wheel? That way I wouldn't have to install my regeneration light indicator as the volt meter would indicate this condition. 

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Thanks @Chriull for that detailed response. Thanks for taking the time.

some of your words made me think; is there a way to wire the volt meter so that it reports a negative voltage when the battery is being charged by the wheel? That way I wouldn't have to install my regeneration light indicator as the volt meter would indicate this condition. 

No - you'd have to install a current-meter in the discharge path to see the current direction...

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

No - you'd have to install a current-meter in the discharge path to see the current direction...

You don't need anything but the voltmeter.You see a voltage increase while charging either from the wheel itself(while riding) or when attached to external charger.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived