Msuper v3 impressions from a V5F+ perspective

nomad

This is why I sold my 820Wh 67.2V 18" wheel after a month.

I bought it as a 45 km/h wheel and thought it could handle that speed without overload. Other sources even listed it as a 50 km/h wheel as Gotway pitched it at first, later the official spec went down to 40 km/h. It turns out the cutoff speed was 45-47 km/h for me and the max usable speed is about 35 km/h before the last alarm kicks in at 36-37 km/h. I would call this a 30 km/h cruising wheel +/-5 km/h. That's a solid comfortable cruising speed without tiltback or alarms! But I was disappointed nontheless, the 84V is the real 35-40 km/h cruising wheel.

I was expecting a powerful machine with 1500W but my 550W 14" gave me stronger torque. The v3 does not feel powerful at lower speeds. Some mods would improve it, making pedals longer with a wedge on the front of them. Adding thicker and higher pads for more leg grip and pushing the wheel forward with the knees for accelerating stronger.. Still braking performance will be harder to improve as you're already pushing a lot with the heels without mods. It has the same motor as the ACM, that wheel has better torque, in other words, they put an 18" wheel on a 16" motor, the wheel even has room for spokes, so the torque could be better.. The braking distance is damn long and good luck keeping the speed down in steeper slopes... Especially if you're a heavy rider, if you go fast better keep 30m distance from bikes and cars, downhill make that 50m!

The Inmotion riding dynamics are excellent giving tight, fluid and precise response. The v3 feels loose and rough, not what I expected at this price point. Also because of physics the 18" wheel is very sluggish in comparison to the nimble 14" wheel. It feels like Inmotion are using higher quality motors with more windings and better handling processors / algorithms.

The v3 integrated trolley handle is a must have at least for me as I don't own a car so this was an attractive feature for me (and the external trolley is a deal breaker for me on the 16" ACM). The trolley turns out to be inferior to what I'm used to. The wheel can not be leaned against anything with it, because it's not centered. That becomes a problem at the supermarket and shops where the conveyer belts at the cash registers are like tables, have to walk the wheel away to a wall to lean against while paying for my items or hold it between my legs. Another example it can't be leaned against higher benches like in a park or a train station you have to lay it on the ground.

While trolleying around you take twice as much space because you're pushing the wheel in front of you, instead of the slim V5F+ which is directly under your arm and takes practically no space at all. Also the smallest bump will often make the trolley collapse down and you have to jerk it up over and over again because it's so sensitive, so you end up basically pulling on it constantly instead of resting your hand on it like a cain. You also have much less control over the wheel and a few times in the beginning the wheel leaned a bit too much and started twisting around and it was not so easy to make it stop before it started going all over the place! You might want to carry it in escalators for safety, whereas with the V5F+ you can use the trolley there too. So not the best trolley solution but it's still infinitely better than nothing. And as a bonus it actually has a learning curve on it's own!

As I don't have a car I want to take the wheel everywhere I go, shops, restaurants, public transport etc. The wheel is bigger and heavier than it looks. It's too high to put under the thighs when sitting and the trolley is less stable when standing so this is not great for bringing on public transport. Plus a lot of the dirty tire sticks out so you don't want to take it into a crowded subway or anything like that smearing off mud on other commuters white pants.. It also can't stand by itself which can be very useful indoors like the V5F+ and some other wheels can.

The handle lift button on Inmotion wheels is a no brainer function that all wheels should have and it's used all the time without thinking about it as I had it from the start on my first wheel. The v3 has a tilt dead zone in the drive and with the size of the wheel and slow acceleration you can actually lift it in stairs without turning it off, you just have to either keep it in the dead zone (not so easy in stairs) or rock it a little back and forth to stop the wheel from spinning up in one direction. But still that button is certainly much better.

Other than that it's a bit thin and wobbly but I'm used to that, the higher battery capacity models of the v3 are a bit wider so those should be more stable while still comfortable and not too wide. Or it could always be modified for extra thickness and height too if wanted, but stock without any mod it's a bit too thin.

There's not a single dealbreaker with it. It's just not as fast or portable as I expected and the range is half compared to the 1600 Wh. Which stuff is more important depends day to day but the experience as a whole was a little too far from my expectations to keep it. Mondays-Fridays I was bringing the smaller wheel 90% of the time even when I had both available. But the v3 was a fun ride in the weekends for sure! A little too fun for me actually:

If it was faster and had more range like the 84V 1600Wh maybe it would be worth it so I'm thinking about that. But for now I did not replace the v3 with anything, I just sit back for a bit as I already have a great wheel since July although it's very different. It was great to try out an 18" wheel over a month now I know what it's like. The Msuper feels more like a vehicle while the V5F+ more of a high end toy. If the next ACM or whatever the next 16" wheel is called has an integrated trolley then that might replace both wheels if I keep waiting and go for an all round 16" sweet spot instead of having two wheels. I'm keeping an eye on the 84V Msuper as the wheel size and pedals make for a very stable and comfortable ride. For me the added torque, speed and range it might be worth another shot, but next time I'll probably want to test before buying!

19 hours ago, nomad said:

I bought it as a 45 km/h wheel and thought it could handle that speed without overload. Other sources even listed it as a 50 km/h wheel as Gotway pitched it at first, later the official spec went down to 40 km/h. It turns out the cutoff speed was 45-47 km/h for me and the max usable speed is about 35 km/h before the last alarm kicks in at 36-37 km/h. I would call this a 30 km/h cruising wheel +/-5 km/h. That's a solid comfortable cruising speed without tiltback or alarms! But I was disappointed nontheless, the 84V is the real 35-40 km/h cruising wheel.

Hmmh, while i can agree on other things you said, this "quoted" i can not!

with this logic, your V5f+ could be called a 18-20kmh wheel, or?

I dont drive over 40kmh, because i found this speed in general to dangerous on all EUC....but sometimes when the roads are nice and i can see enough in front of my, no other people in front, i have got the wheel to the last alarm, which i hear also at 37-38, just because its running so smooth and stable on highspeed...

knowing that there are still about 7-8 kmh real margin left gives me very good feeling. so to call the V3 just a  30kmh wheel is bit to depressiv, my 2 cents. But that for me can come from knowing/having the kS18 1200w also....which ONLY has a "lift off" cut out of 44-46, while the V3 is mich more highspeedable...

so finish on my KS18 is for me on maximum 32-33...so THAT would i call then a 30kmh wheel :-)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I dont drive over 40kmh, because i found this speed in general to dangerous on all EUC....but sometimes when the roads are nice and i can see enough in front of my, no other people in front, i have got the wheel to the last alarm, which i hear also at 37-38, just because its running so smooth and stable on highspeed...

knowing that there are still about 7-8 kmh real margin left gives me very good feeling. so to call the V3 just a  30kmh wheel is bit to depressiv, my 2 cents. But that for me can come from knowing/having the kS18 1200w also....which ONLY has a "lift off" cut out of 44-46, while the V3 is mich more highspeedable...

so finish on my KS18 is for me on maximum 32-33...so THAT would i call then a 30kmh wheel :-)

Quoting myself "I would call this a 30 km/h cruising wheel +/-5 km/h." With that allowing about +/-15% sway in speed control then.. I guess following my own logic again, I would call the V5F+ a 20 km/h cruising wheel +/-3 km/h. Well that sounds about right to me actually.

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Do not agree with you. KS18A is 100%battery "lift off" cut out of   49.4 km h  and 80% battery 48,4kmh ! A little while ago I it SW v1.23 tested  !  :)

10 minutes ago, Raptor said:
Do not agree with you. KS18A is "lift off" cut out of   49.4 km h ! A little while ago I it SW v1.23 tested  !  :)

Really very happ for you!

Unfortunatly mine and some others are a good bit lower....or search for highspeed cutout on ks18....Also: take a test on 50 or 60% battery!

i do not want to make theKS18 look bad! its a great and really powerful wheel up to 32-35kmh!

but i do not have the trust to go 40 on it anymore

59 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Really very happ for you!

Unfortunatly mine and some others are a good bit lower....or search for highspeed cutout on ks18....Also: take a test on 50 or 60% battery!

i do not want to make theKS18 look bad! its a great and really powerful wheel up to 32-35kmh!

but i do not have the trust to go 40 on it anymore

For all of these KS18A falls are, after all, had at least over 42 km h ! therefore, do not see the difference, KS18A and MSuper v3 !    MSuper v3 exchange V5f +, but I too do not understand, unfortunately ! 

4 hours ago, Raptor said:
KS18A is 100%battery "lift off" cut out of   49.4 km h  and 80% battery 48,4kmh ! A little while ago I it SW v1.23 tested  !  :)

Is that the app speed? If so, did you compare it with GPS speed?

7 hours ago, Raptor said:

For all of these KS18A falls are, after all, had at least over 42 km h ! therefore, do not see the difference, KS18A and MSuper v3 !    MSuper v3 exchange V5f +, but I too do not understand, unfortunately ! 

Unfortunately some falls were wide under 40kmh...

15 hours ago, zlymex said:

Is that the app speed? If so, did you compare it with GPS speed?

Specifically, this wheel ( I have two KS18a+ purchased in August, at the same time and both of them are a bit different) , app speed differential GPS device in comparison is 3kmh . ( However, this difference even greater is in new cars +5kmh (I participate in the work of a number of new car manufacturers ) and other wheels speed for difference GPS . GPS speed Is not irrelevant, all means of transport and traffic, speedometer lies equally ! The aim is to show the interests of safety, all the same koefitsent over the actual speed . ) :D 

Sorry about Google Translation !

Archived