Android App sucks!

Cheburashka

Although the app looks nice and has good functionality, I'm disappointed in 2 things.

1) The app drains the battery heavily all the time. This is Android development 101 here, come on Ninebot, you can't let the app drain the phone's battery 24/7!

2) Does NOT work with Android 7 (Nougat)!! Seriously! Updated to latest version of Android and the app doesn't even start any more! Shame from a company with Segway's name on it!

Yes shame shame.. seriously bro?  You expect Nougat compatibility when most phones on the market haven't even gotten the update yet?  Serves you right for being on the bleeding edge but thanks for the headsup.  I won't upgrade when it's available for me.  heheh

3 hours ago, BA-B8 said:

Yes shame shame.. seriously bro?  You expect Nougat compatibility when most phones on the market haven't even gotten the update yet?  Serves you right for being on the bleeding edge but thanks for the headsup.  I won't upgrade when it's available for me.  heheh

Haha!

Out of all the apps I have, the Ninebot app is the only one that does not work on Nougat, probably because it's the only app on my phone that is poorly written.

If your apps and programs are business critical, no mather what the device runs as operating system (android, windows, linux,.....), don't upgrade.

This is (one of) the reasons a lot of businesses are still running Win 7, and some even  XP and working with floppies (US military).

A new version of an OS is mainly developed for the purpose of keeping the money flow running towards the IT companies.

If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it ;)

On 9/12/2016 at 11:10 AM, Cheburashka said:

1) The app drains the battery heavily all the time. This is Android development 101 here, come on Ninebot, you can't let the app drain the phone's battery 24/7!

2) Does NOT work with Android 7 (Nougat)!! Seriously! Updated to latest version of Android and the app doesn't even start any more! Shame from a company with Segway's name on it!

Sometimes the app stays running on my phone when I back out of it and runs the battery down.  I've started doing the force stop on the app to prevent this, shouldn't have to do that you are right.

On the plus side, the other EUC manufacturer apps look like they were made in a few minutes as a school project and used a 5-yr old as a graphic designer. 

The Ninebot app is super slick and the community features are pretty cool too!

Now, only if it actually worked...

15 hours ago, Vik's said:

Not the first app draining the battery while staying in background... So I use to force stop all apps once in a while.

Yes, Google play keeps running also.  I downloaded an app that didn't work like it was supposed to ( QR code reader), deleted the app, and found out the next morning that my battery was almost dead.  Had to force stop Google play.

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered by careful experimentation that the Ninebot app is responsible for causing my Galaxy 6s to crash several times per day.   Not only is this app terrible and buggy, but it also requests far too many permissions for me to feel like I should trust it.   I highly recommend not installing this app on Android!

27 minutes ago, Eric Jorgensen said:

I discovered by careful experimentation that the Ninebot app is responsible for causing my Galaxy 6s to crash several times per day.   Not only is this app terrible and buggy, but it also requests far too many permissions for me to feel like I should trust it.   I highly recommend not installing this app on Android!

Another option could be to install the older version - Ninedroid. Much shorter list of requirements there.

...or install latest app version and limit the number of permissions to an absolute minimum.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone! I am new here, and am looking for my first wheel. I have been looking at the ninebot/Segway lineup more seriously than other brands, but have a nougat phone. Can anyone confirm that the app still does not work with nougat, or has it been since updated? Also, is the app necessary?

4 hours ago, xxmetal said:

Hey everyone! I am new here, and am looking for my first wheel. I have been looking at the ninebot/Segway lineup more seriously than other brands, but have a nougat phone. Can anyone confirm that the app still does not work with nougat, or has it been since updated? Also, is the app necessary?

I think ver.3.7.4 of the app got support for the newest Android OS.

The app is not necessary if you buy an E+/P but is required for first time activation process on S2 (and MiniPro).

Archived