Define a Parameter for safe riding

EricGhost

Hi all as I got my ride logs from @jumpmaster great job the wheelLog app, I've been focused on trying to get a number that tells me how much dangerously I rode my wheel!
One danger parameter for sure is speed but it did not give me a proper feeling as I'm too used to higher car speeds, so I converted it to height as the concept of a free fall from 1 or 2 or 3 meters gives a better idea of the kind of damaging you can get.
So by comparing Kinetic Energy=Gravity potential Energy, I got the equivalent heigth drop for a certain speed: H[m]=(0.5*(V[Km/h]/3.6)^2)/g[m/s^2], where V=wheel speed and g=earth gravity.

The other element is the wheel (mine is a KS16 680Wh), I cannot do anything about the manufacturer reliability just hope that is of good manufacturing quality and high reliability, otherwise change it!
But I hope I can make an evaluation of how much dangerously I'm using the wheel resources! I've elaborate something but I for sure need help on this issue.
I considered two fields from the wheelLog data:1) current A and 2) dinamic battery charge % (or voltage V if you like but it is should be the same).For current I know there is a Amax=40A (for my wheel at least) so I considered a coefficient KA=(Amax-A)/Amax where 0<KA<1 0=cut off, 1=full torque margin.
Then there was the battery charge, here I've invented a KBattery which is ==1 till batteries are 55% and then it drops from 1 to zero at 0% but it drops with quite a punishing rate as at 10% KB=0.11

Then I considered my wheel stressing factor KW=KA*KB meaning that till batteries are >55% the current is the only stressing factor, so at 20A and 55% batteries I'll have a KW=0.5, then batteries will come in the game and a 20A at 20% batteries will give KW=0.5*0.25=0.125

Then my reasoning was: I'm at a certain Height from where I can fall which is a danger in itself if I make mistakes, then I've equipment which can fail and the more I stress it the more the possibility of failure.
So I combine the to coefficients in one KDanger=H*KW and I got a number which means that you're like a mountain climber at a certain height attach to a %stressed rope.

My final reasoning (could be wrong) is that if I ride at 28Km/H with KW=0.99->KD=3 I have the same danger tha riding at 20Km/h with a KW=0.5->KD=3 and ride at 20Km/h is considered quite safe, so I built a color map from green almost safe to red as hazardous/deadly riding
I'll gladly accept any suggestion on improving my thinking and help in finding the magic number (reliability and HW failures are out of the issue just HW realistic performances) thanks.
(the data comes from WheelLog but is filtered, otherwise too many data,  as I upload and write down in excel only the max values of A,V,W found within every 20mt of location distance)

HvsSpeed.JPG

Kbattery.JPG

DataExample.JPG

28 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

Hi all as I got my ride logs from @jumpmaster great job the wheelLog app, I've been focused on trying to get a number that tells me how much dangerously I rode my wheel!

Coincidentally just a few days ago I was thinking about something very similar and it would be great if @JumpMaster could implement an "advanced" alarm(s) into the WheelLog app where you can set the combination of speed, voltage and current (maybe even some formula to enter) to trigger alarm. Maybe even add your weight into calculation. Would be great safety improvement for sure.

1 minute ago, HEC said:

Coincidentally just a few days ago I was thinking about something very similar and it would be great if @JumpMaster could implement an "advanced" alarm(s) into the WheelLog app where you can set the combination of speed, voltage and current (maybe even some formula to enter) to trigger alarm. Maybe even add your weight into calculation. Would be great safety improvement for sure.

Yes would be nice but I think my KW or KD calculation (H is physics no doubt there) could be improved but I'm a mechanical more than electronic, so forum added value will be appreciate :)

There are more than one condition that will lead to danger, so you cannot have a single number.

You will be in danger when

(D=[0..1] where 0 is low and 1 is high)

------

1) Your logged power P nears Pmax. Pmax will be current battery voltage (Ub) times max current (Imax, 40 A for you):  D = P/(Ub * Imax)

or

2) Your logged speed V nears Vmax: D=V/Vmax. Vmax will also probably be a function of Ub

You cannot combine these two. For example multiplying the two Ds will fail since a low D on the first will cancel out a high D on the second which is of course not correct. You will be in danger if V nears Vmax independent of a low danger due to P << Pmax. You could however select the largest number of the two.

3...) There will be others also...but maybe not from your logged data, except maybe for temperature D = T/Tmax where Tmax is maximum temperature before shutdown.

My 16,68 øre (according to current US->NOK currency)

• 2 weeks later...

Here I've an excel VBA which can upload the wheellog .csv by plotting only the maximum events for Speed,Current and Power occured within gps distance of 40mt:
Public Const LocMinDstKm As Double = 0.04

MACROS:
CleanUp        cleans data from worksheet template
GetPtData     if a point is selected on a graph it retrieve the record data from the archive
UploadWheelLog    upload & fileter the wheelLog .csv
WriteGpxFile    write a gpx file with waypoints for gpsies.com

It can calculate a coefficient of danger at a certain point according to speed, battery and current 
After the upload you can download a gpx track with waypoints registering where KDanger or MaxCurrent over a certain level occured. YOu can upload the track on http://www.gpsies.com/

VBAMenu.JPG

VBAreferences.JPG

GPSiesCreate.JPG

GPSiesTrack.JPG

WheelLogMaster.xlsm

pls can you help with a short tutorial on how to use your .xlsm

where and how to import the csv. data from text doesn't seem to work for me & the cleanup just deletes everything ...

would like to check my last crash-logs to see how dumb is was before faceplanting :)

thx

• 2 weeks later...
On 12 settembre 2016 at 2:50 PM, Blunzn said:

pls can you help with a short tutorial on how to use your .xlsm

where and how to import the csv. data from text doesn't seem to work for me & the cleanup just deletes everything ...

would like to check my last crash-logs to see how dumb is was before faceplanting :)

thx

Sorry I miss your request, the cleanup deletes everything, true if you want to upload a new log on the same excel

The upload comes from upload wheellog, but be sure to have set the reference to the Microsoft scripting runtime, otherwise it will not work, it's in the Excel VBA development tab under tools/set references

you run the macros from Excel tab development/macros menù.

you should also have set the "." as decimal separetor in the Windows, I'll try something more documented asap

sorry for not answering before

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for making the macro, but I cant make it work. I always get error when trying to run the upload makro. It says Run-time error 6 Overflow when I select the log file. I bet I am doing something wrong could you push me in the right direction?

It's potentially a sensitive area, but I would've thought the single biggest factor in terms of evaluating risk-assessment is the age of a rider.

At 32, I would (like to) think I could run/stumble off a 22/23kph cutout. At say 60yrs old, such a fall could be extremely dangerous. (Potentially lethal??). The two biggest variables that age introduces are physical vulnerability and reaction speed.

I only mention this because the average age of euc'ers (as previous forum polls have shown) is surprisingly mature, and yet when we talk about danger speeds and cutouts, it seems the age of the user is the one aspect people are reluctant to approach

On 5/10/2016 at 10:06 PM, andress said:

Hi,

Thanks for making the macro, but I cant make it work. I always get error when trying to run the upload makro. It says Run-time error 6 Overflow when I select the log file. I bet I am doing something wrong could you push me in the right direction?

Sorry for delay in answering try with a smaller log file, I had the same problem with a big one, it's something with the buffer size related to excel or the read script utility I still have to investigate it

On 5/10/2016 at 10:15 PM, Paddylaz said:

It's potentially a sensitive area, but I would've thought the single biggest factor in terms of evaluating risk-assessment is the age of a rider.

At 32, I would (like to) think I could run/stumble off a 22/23kph cutout. At say 60yrs old, such a fall could be extremely dangerous. (Potentially lethal??). The two biggest variables that age introduces are physical vulnerability and reaction speed.

I only mention this because the average age of euc'ers (as previous forum polls have shown) is surprisingly mature, and yet when we talk about danger speeds and cutouts, it seems the age of the user is the one aspect people are reluctant to approach

you're absolutely rigth I wanted just have an indicator on how nearly a dangerous situation I'm wheeling, of course it's up to the rider to consider the consequences of a fall.

I personally at 55 of age I set my KS16 at 28-29-30-30 usually at first beep I decelerate, my max speed varies from 28.5-30Kph, next wheel I would like to buy is a 18" with 1500w or more, with a nice shape, with speed tiltback at 30-32 but a huge torque for acceleration and for going uphill or mountain road/tracks (no goat tracks of course) with a remote cutoff point due to currernt spikes--> torque :) mainly

Hi EricGhost,

I like your idea uploading the WheelLog data to GPSies and pointing out critical moments of the tour - thank you for sharing. :)

Change the variable declaration of your line counters from integer to long and it will work on larger files (my file has > 87000 lines). Computing takes a while and the charts look weird:

2d0kpc8.png

However, it is the GPSies track I was after in order to analyze the moments I need to be more careful:

110xe38.png

Today it only pointed out heavy braking when I had to be careful because of others...
...and now I feel tempted to test out the GPSies tracking with a more courageous driving style. :D :D :D

Archived