Raspberry Pi Mods/Hacks/etc.

Lefteris

SB2fGhy.png

As you may have already guessed, this is the Raspberry Pi corner of this forum :D

There is a new board out there that can fit inside the innards of our EUCs with ease..

The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Az80AWB.png

I have already intergraded two devices into my house, one inside the electrical panel that controls my water heatsink and other stuff using OpenHAB and the other one sits on the livingroom connected to my tv as a media theater system (kodi former xbmc) but doubles down as a seedbox (rtorrent+rutorrent).

And now to the thread subject, are you guys up to some geeky mods using a raspberry and our EUCs??

Before attempting to get into the raspberry wagon, there are some things need to pointed out :

• A way to power these little beast of machines using a pico-psu and/or others.
  • A way to interconnect it with other devices, modding the case for ports, using wifi-dongles, bluetooth or cellular, etc
  • Extra things attached to the Pi so the EUC gets extra functionality
  • Known connectors for data transmission thru the Pi, storage and others.

This is by "far" the best subject of discussion if you are up to modding.

In my honest opinion i don't just do stuff by hand, a friend of mine does most of the wiring etc but i do the setting up, programming, etc.

I'd like your honest opinion on the matter, and if you are interested please leave a comment.

cc. @esaj i think you'll love this mod thread :P 

And forgot to mention the little brother of the Raspberry Family, the model "ZERO"

Wn2G6Dw.jpg

The little guy that also packs a punch and can fit almost everywhere.. 

Just look at that comparison guys..

WLSZSMl.jpg

Now start imagining the possibilities.. :D

• Upvote 3

I've eyed at the different Pi's (Raspberry, Orange, Banana, whatever) for some time, but haven't figured out any project which would need as much processing power as those can provide... so far, I've managed just with "basic" Arduinos. Also, they're much more expensive (I can get a Nano for around 1.75€/piece, an Orange Pi costs something like 10-20+€ and original Raspberrys go up to 40-50€?). Maybe someday, right now I'm up to my elbows with work- & hobby-projects :P  Hoping to finish the function generator this week (halfway through wiring & encasing, started on the firmware), after which I have at least an unfinished milliohm-meter and promised to build an analog distortion pedal for a friend...

• Upvote 3

@esaj these are quite the projects you have your hands on!! keep up the good work!!

You know there is no harm on getting one Raspberry Pi Zero inside the machine instead of the somewhat bulky 3rd model b..

Adding more, you can add from 16x2 LCD screen, like this

GjIZgKx.jpg

to even a mini TFT one, like this,

4vPwoAJ.jpg

and by acquiring information from the EUC and maybe other sensors connected to the Pi, display anything you want!

There are mods like 

GPS MODULE + ARDUINO

CqSyGSF.png

https://www.cooking-hacks.com/documentation/tutorials/gps-module-arduino-raspberry-pi-tutorial/

And others alike..

• Upvote 1

As @esaj said, all tis could be done with a simple Arduino. I have a single standalone Atmega328, in my MCM4, which manages light/temperature/humidity sensors, push buttons, alarm, front and rear lights, horn signal, wheel switch ON/OFF relay, Bluetooth communication with my smartphone to control and monitor all this devices and with a RF remote control.

I have the same 16x2 LCD screen (with and without the keypad) and both work with Arduino.

That said, I'm really interested in Raspberry Pi 3 for home automation and carputer.

• Upvote 1

I've used the 16x2 screen last december, i've built a simple python script with a menu for a friend, based on a github source. amazing piece of hardware..

Anyways i don't like arduino tech and ide, i like writing python and/or other languages, i like the cpu/ram power that has, and the ability to pin anything to it.

I currently have one with pico-psu, fan control, ups board with 2 buttons and a 300mAh batt that when the my house' power is cut it sends an email cause my modem, my mikrotik router, are on a small ups too.. i can open/close the heatsink and have a failsafe at 20 minutes for it cause my wife always forget to switch it off. All these using OpenHAB oh and it also has a gsm dongle that i don't yet use, i'll mash up something next couple of weeks. The 2nd Pi is at the livingroom, currently connected to 2 disks that one is for sharing and one for peer'ing.. :P also doubles up as a media theater system for my tv, google/dlna/airplay receiver etc..

Just imagine, a pi zero, a proper power converter, and 1-2 sensors.. you can even connect a small x-mini speaker and play music, and so much more.. the Pi is a "powerhouse" and possibilities are endless 

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
12 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Well i've talked with @takeda the other day, a project we are going to play with is lift sensor and alarm.

Interesting...Don;t know if I need to sign an NDA, but what that suppose to do?  There were some 3d parts I found that can turn the step pedals into light but no brains behind it. 

• Like 1

Why mess with NDA's there is nothing that can hurt us, we are owners of our wheels and can tamper with them as much as we want :P

I'm thinking of how for example gotway wheels, and other, have a usb port, that it may be turned inside to power any device. Then use an arduino with a lift sensor of some sorts, i've found guides and mods but haven't had the time to check them out properly.

There are many options when you have a full powered usb port inside the wheel!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lefteris said:

I'm thinking of how for example gotway wheels, and other, have a usb port, that it may be turned inside to power any device. Then use an arduino with a lift sensor of some sorts, i've found guides and mods but haven't had the time to check them out properly.

There are many options when you have a full powered usb port inside the wheel!!

You are aware of MicroPython for ESP32 and STM32's?

Would be a current/power saving alternative to the Raspberry Pi! Should not be too much for the batterie, but there coul be "thermal consequences" of a Pi drawing an ampere....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...