Another USPTO success

lizardmech

I might have just come up with the idea of an apparatus with circular objects underneath it, capable of transporting different loads via axles attached to the circular objects and load-bearing structure on top of the axles... Probably should file for a patent. ;)

Another idea is a mechanism to transport mechanical energy to these circular objects via the axles, but that will require a separate patent (so I can sue again). And a third one, with mechanical devices to slow down said circular objects via friction...

Patents are interesting beasts- spend a huge amount of money to acquire one and 99% of the time you end up with just a piece of paper hanging on the wall.  I have medical patent and no profits. The guy narrating is offering a way to simplistic view on how the patent process works in the USA. . You can't just write your idea down on a piece of paper and submit it to the USPTO. It will end up in the garbage!  That is why you have tens of 1000's of fly by night patent companies willing to take your hard earned cash and file a maladroit patent submission on your behalf. On the other side of the coin you have patent attorneys that are more than willing to file a patent infringement lawsuit on your behalf even though the case has no merit. Just pay them $1000's up front. They get rich and you get shafted in the end!

Trademarking business names is also an uphill battle.  I trademarked my business name at a cost of a few thousand dollars, but it takes tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to sue someone to stop using it.  I decided that it's just not worth the money unless you're a large corporation with very deep pockets or have a huge amount to lose by having someone else using a similar name to your business.

Archived