Speed up Airwheel X8 by quartz change?

Andr

Hi! 

I have an idea to increase the clock of the maindoard by changing the quartz resonator on the Airwheel board. I expect to full the maindoard that it would consider the speed is lower after comparinh hall sensors pulse frequency with clock frequency.

What is your opinino? Would this work? 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Andr said:

Hi! 

I have an idea to increase the clock of the maindoard by changing the quartz resonator on the Airwheel board. I expect to full the maindoard that it would consider the speed is lower after comparinh hall sensors pulse frequency with clock frequency.

What is your opinino? Would this work? 

Is not the board clock that defines the motor speed - and I am telling you this because I am being development firmware for EUCs and I have experience with the cheap boards and more expensive ones that have for instance bluetooth.

Changing the quartz resonator may make the board/firmware not work properly.

But I clearly understand your needs, that's why I started to learn EUC and motor control firmwares.

• Upvote 3

@Andr I absolutely agree with @electric_vehicle_lover, @Chriull And @Johey,  even assuming the board would simply clock (say) 50% faster you would screw up the PWM frequency and motor timing. However if you purchased a new faster board (say) instead you would still have the problem that the battery could not handle higher speed, If the motor truly is 800W it would be OK, however one has to question why you would put an 800W motor in a wheel with a less than 600W capable battery, which brings the motor power claim into question as well. See my explanation of X8 power here: 

Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 2

Thanks all for answers! 

The question rose because now I have my Airwheel working with "30B" board and external battery. And it have enough capacity to ride 17 km/h. Stock board makes possible to ride comfortably 12 km/h. So i'm thinking of a way to speed it up only by 4 km/h - this will be safe.

30 minutes ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

Is not the board clock that defines the motor speed

Can you clarify what does instead?

Edited by Andr
  • Upvote 1

@Andr, haven't you answered your own question here: 

Remember as RPM increases torque decreases until (for a given motor) at some RPM the torque is Zero and at some RPM below that the torque is so low you will fall off. No amount of firmware tweaking will make that motor run faster safely

There are only 3 ways to improve the maximum RPM of a motor, and all of those ways might impact its low speed handling/torque/ current consumption/ timing:

1. Physically change the motor windings
  2. Run the wheel at a higher voltage - max RPM is directly proportional to voltage but so is current which might get too high at low speeds even if the control board can take it.
  3. Physically change out the motor for one that is compatible with higher speed with the controller.
Edited by Keith
  • Upvote 1

I think you are better investing building a EGG / MicroWorks as some of us did already: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

This way you have much more information about the board, motor, firmware and Android app, RGB LEDs ,etc  - we will be able to help you.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Keith said:

Remember as RPM increases torque decreases

Thanks, I'm graduated from Moscow Power-Engineering Institute and have learnt something about motors and drives ;) 

3 hours ago, Keith said:

Physically change the motor windings

- not my case.

3 hours ago, Keith said:

Run the wheel at a higher voltage

- I thought about it too. But here I will need another controller to let higher speed. Not stock.

Airwheel stock controller goes smoother than 30B, also it has tilt-back function at higher speed. My desire is to return to such behavior.

3 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

building a EGG / MicroWorks as some of us did already:

will investigate.

P.S. Looking in STM32 datasheet it seems to have own clock...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

i wonder:

According to the Airwheel specs the speed of a (for example) airwheel Q1 and a airwheel X8 are the same. 12km p/h with a max of 18km p/h.

The tires of a Q1 are 11 inch and the tires of a X8 are 16 inch. So the tires of the airwheel Q1 has to rotate faster to get this same speed (12km p/h) as the tires of the airwheel X8 .

Could it be possible, that when you replace the "driver board" of a X8 with one of a Q8 the normal speed will increase from 12 km/h to 18 km p/h ? 16"/11"x12(km)=18(km)

The driver boards look very much the same and they have the  same connectors to.