Driving Rc car on EUC

Pingouin

Hi,

As a RC addict, mostly drones and FPV airplanes, I just found in my stuff an old 1/16 electric 4WD car, still working fine one 3s lipo (55kph top speed I think), and it gave me the idea that maybe it would be possible to drive my RC car on the streets and following it with my euc.

My concern is about stability, because I need my both hands on the remote control to drive the rc car, and perhaps the attention, I don't really know if I will be able to concentrate on driving the euc and the rc car at the same time, what do you think ?

Well - there is plenty videos on youtube of people driving EUC while flying camera multirotor ("drone") filming themselves so driving RC car in front of you shouldn't be that difficult. I'm actually planning to do the same with some of my RC collection ;)

It should be possible - it would be easier than using a phone (in some ways), as you don't need to look at your hands. 

Bit wear protection when you try it, and video it too, in case it is worth submitting for the competition. 

I would not venture it out on the streets right away. RC car and your EUC should have a safe margin for all possible errors. I would use just the remote in both hands for practice and then go empty parking lot with the car and practice. But again  when you get good at it, doing it on the real streets pose it's own problems. Very unpredictable but doable. My 2 cents.

I did learn to control the rc car with only one hand, using my thumb to steer, it's just less precise.

When you say "just use the remote in both hands" you mean practicing just driving the rc car off the euc ?

I meant, practice holding the remote in both hands, pretending you are controlling the RC but WITHOUT RC car, while riding the EUC. (I didn't know you can do it with just one hand.) This way you are good with both hands busy on EUC riding. Once you are confident, then actually drive the RC with your remote while on EUC in an empty lot, like you said. 

That's not a bad idea, I'll try this, with the remonte control in my hands, but not the rc car driving.

I don't need my arms and hands to control my EUC, so it shouldn't be too hard but that's just my guess. Even when I'll be good at this, I will only get my rc car out on not busy streets, or empty streets, or out of the city, plus I don't want to get more attention towards me than I already get by riding the Euc ^^

I drive RC cars too and have also been thinking about this. I have actually driven my RC cars while riding my bicycle, steering with my thumb on the wheel of my pistol-style transmitter. Just make sure your RC car stays well ahead and you have plenty of room to brake or go around it in case it suddenly spins out of control or it gets snagged by some bit of root or weed. One does have tendency to get closer and closer because it is very cool to see it driving like that and covering an actual distance without having to turn costantly. I stopped driving my RC cars that way after the second time I ran over it on my bicycle ... (hardly any damage, surprisingly - the old Tamiya DT-02 were indestructible)

I even took a video during one of those runs (not one where I run over it ...):

I can't let the car go too far ahead of me because it's quite small despite being fast, I have no idea of the range it has in terms of km with 3s 2200 mah lipo battery, I bet at least 15km at a EUC speed, because there will very few fast acceleration, mostly cruising on flat roads, but I really don't know.

On a bycicle, I bet it's harder to brake than on a euc in case the car rolls over or something like that.

Archived