King Song 18a 1360wh maintenance

Alex_U

Hello everyone!

All of sudden this question came to my inquisitive mind after today, when I rolled on my KingSong wheel another 89 km (in one charge only), so that the total mileage (since I bought it this year in June) is 820 km.

The question is: is there a need to do some periodical inspection or maintenance of the wheel?

It's rather hard to open the wheel body, so I think the wheel is not repairable and once it is broken, bearing jammed or something, the wheel is supposed to be thrown away.

I'm not the one who will do this of course. It's rather interesting what is hidden inside and how it will react if I replace the battery or add another one if space allows.

Anyway, who does what maintenance guys? 

I agree that some kind of "maintenance" schedule should have been mentioned for each wheel in the user manual - be it cleaning, visual inspection, greasing of the ball Barings or axels or tightening of the foot pedal posts or screws etc. Hopefully @Jason McNeil or @tinawong can comment on this and maybe also include the info in future versions of the user manuals.

One of the principle selling points of electric propulsion is the comparative mechanical simplicity of thing. When/if KS get their act together :angry: it should just be a matter of keeping the battery topped up & periodically changing the tire.

I'll be the first to say that KS have been lackadaisical in fault monitoring, notifying their Distributors or affected Customers with advisories & seeking corrective actions. The number of times I've pleaded with KS to be more open & keep us (more specifically me) is too many to enumerate here...

While there's no Official classification of faults/bugs for Wheels, I think they can be put into a taxonomy like the below. With the KS16s series, these are  type II-III issues—there definitely needs to be more rigor in QC & using post-sales feedback into the QC process. Any Customers of mine who has had even one cut-out with their KS16, I'd be happy to arrange a control-board replacement.

Type I faults:

• That there is no current remedy or solution 
  • It's a serious safety issue
  • All Wheels of a particular type or model are affected
  • These may be hardware or software
  • Manifestations might be exhibited immediately out of the box or over time, but the probability is unacceptably high that a failure will occur during normal usage

Type II faults:

• Batch specific
  • Poses a safety risk, but there's a solution
  • Involves replacing a specific part for some Customers

Type III faults:

• Annoyances, bad behavioural traits, but does not pose a significant safety hazard 
  • Corrected by firmware or App updates

From my experience with kingsong wheels, below is the list of item  id recommend to check periodically:

Every week ( external inspection)

a.  Tire pressure

b.  Trolley handle connection for 14" wheels (bolts tend to get loose in the threads)

Every month ( external inspection)

a.   4 Side screws that secure the pedals (check if loose)

b.    Plastic piece that covers the buttons on ks14 - check the glue is holding and that the piece is not coming apart, this can be important for waterproofing reasons and to make sure the light sensor works well

c.    Make sure there is no condensation visible on the battery indicator - if thiere is, this is an indication there may be moisture inside

d.     If not used regularly, check the speed beeper works and beeps at specified speeds . Check tiltback works

Every few months - Internal and external ( and once when first receive the wheel - but make sure doesnt void warranty by distributor)

a.   Check the tire is not worn out. Check the tire rotates freely, enough gap betweetire and casing and nothing stuck in between

b.   Check the temperature in the app is within allowable limits

c.   External screws on side cover and holding the case together, check they are not loose

d.   Battery connectors inside, charging connectors, all other accessible connections

e.   Check for signs of water/ dirt / dust  inside - on control board, batteries, casing inside. If signs of water/ dirt present, this is serious - need to check waterproofing of the wheel for water ingress

f.    Check that the 3 screws holding the motor connections to the control board are not loose

g.  When first get the wheel check that the shrink wrap on batteries is in good shape and covers all spots/ corners. Check that padding available on all sides at battery

H.  Check connections and the condition of of the battery and control board fuses. Even if in good condition, can change out if desired.

i.  Check the pedal posts from underneath in relation to the motor cover. Make sure they are straight ( parralel to motor cover) . Apply pressure on pedals, make sure the pedal base doesnt bend ( doesnt get closer to the motor cover). Ride the wheel in a quest place- make sure there is no foreign sounds when the wheel rotates 

j  check the pedals are not loose on the pedal posts. Check for rust at the bolt heads in the holes at the pedal connection. 

K  check the two pieces of the pedal pists are still tight together and clean rust on top of screw heads holding them together. 

L lubricate around motor shaft at the pedal post connection at bearing

18 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Every month ( external inspection)

b.    Plastic piece that covers the buttons on ks14 - check the glue is holding and that the piece is not coming apart, this can be important for waterproofing reasons and to make sure the light sensor works well

Very, very good list!!! Thanx! Got some new checks now on my list...

To the quoted one: ? Which plastic Piece that covers the buttons? Do you/i have another Version of KS14?

25 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Very, very good list!!! Thanx! Got some new checks now on my list...

To the quoted one: ? Which plastic Piece that covers the buttons? Do you/i have another Version of KS14?

This had an alternaive design in several variations of ks14. Later versions purchased thru certain distributors did away woth the plastic piece

Archived