KS16: Delay in re-activation of self-balance after side-tipping?

flass

I have owned my Kingsong KS-16 for about a months, and recently I have noticed that if I tip the wheel to the side so that it will start to beep and deactivate the self-balancing, it will sometimes take a while for the self-balancing function to return after I have straightened up the wheel again to continue the ride.

The delay is only a couple of seconds, and I push the wheel back and forth until I feel that it is stabilized before I step on. But it confuses me a little, since I cannot imagine it was behaving like this the first weeks when it was new and unused. 

Is this normal or something I should worry about?

50 minutes ago, flass said:

The delay is only a couple of seconds, and I push the wheel back and forth until I feel that it is stabilized before I step on. But it confuses me a little, since I cannot imagine it was behaving like this the first weeks when it was new and unused. 

This happened to me yesterday when I was practicing "stop and go", the wheel fell on the side, so it hit one of the pedals and it folded slightly, when I was about to mount again I noticed there was no self-balancing. So in my case I need to make sure both pedals are fully opened (ready to ride), otherwise the wheel loses its self-balancing power. Once I fully open the pedals everything is back to normal... This did not happened with my Ks 14, must be a "safety" feature... although I'd rather do without it...

1 hour ago, Fernembo said:

This happened to me yesterday when I was practicing "stop and go", the wheel fell on the side, so it hit one of the pedals and it folded slightly, when I was about to mount again I noticed there was no self-balancing. So in my case I need to make sure both pedals are fully opened (ready to ride), otherwise the wheel loses its self-balancing power. Once I fully open the pedals everything is back to normal... This did not happened with my Ks 14, must be a "safety" feature... although I'd rather do without it...

I cannot say I have noticed this to have anything to do with the states of the pedals, but I might go out practicing tonight, I will do some testing by then.

Thanks for your input! 

2 minutes ago, flass said:

I cannot say I have noticed this to have anything to do with the states of the pedals, but I might go out practicing tonight, I will do some testing by then.

Thanks for your input! 

@flass This thread might also be helpful to you, although I never had any of the issues described in it:

Yeah, I have read it and it seems like it is kinda related issues they are discussing, but neither I have experienced those. Which firmware version are you using? I think I am still on 1.19, i might upgrade to 1.20 to see if this changes anything.

Just now, Fernembo said:
Just now, Fernembo said:

@flass This thread might also be helpful to you, although I never had any of the issues described in it:

7 minutes ago, flass said:

Yeah, I have read it and it seems like it is kinda related issues they are discussing, but neither I have experienced those. Which firmware version are you using? I think I am still on 1.19, i might upgrade to 1.20 to see if this changes anything.

The issue is still present in v1.20 FW unfortunately.

Yeah, this is expected behavior.  My KS16 does the same thing, and it makes sense, as it is a safety feature to disable the wheel when it falls over.  It will resume balancing after being righted for a couple of seconds.  It's actually a nice feature, on my old wheel you had to turn it off and on again for it to resume balancing.

Hi,

I have not noticed this before, but when I tested my KS 16 now it will not lock (i.e. self balance) after falling before you keep it fairly vertical in the forward/backward direction. If I raise the wheel and it is tilted forward or backward it will not lock before I hold it fairly vertical (+/-10 degrees?). If I raise the wheel without it being tilted forward/backward it will lock more or less immediately ( < 1 second?).

3 hours ago, Frode said:

Hi,

I have not noticed this before, but when I tested my KS 16 now it will not lock (i.e. self balance) after falling before you keep it fairly vertical in the forward/backward direction. If I raise the wheel and it is tilted forward or backward it will not lock before I hold it fairly vertical (+/-10 degrees?). If I raise the wheel without it being tilted forward/backward it will lock more or less immediately ( < 1 second?).

That is interesting since I have found the time it takes until it self-balances again after a side-tip has been varying a lot. Not that I think I normally have my wheel that much offset from straight vertical position, but I will be aware of it and see if it could reduce the time until it gets stabilized again.

Apart from the fact that it sometimes takes quite a lot of time for the wheel to activate the self-balancing again I do not feel this is a big drawback or anything, just that I did not think of the behavior at all in the beginning and I thought that maybe I have damaged the wheel, but as long as it is considered normal I am quite happy :)

11 minutes ago, flass said:

That is interesting since I have found the time it takes until it self-balances again after a side-tip has been varying a lot.

Maybe it depends on what happened before it fell down, for example if it was overpowered. There might be several "safety mechanisms" with different delays. In my test I simply laid the wheel down on its side and then lifted it again after the beeping stopped.

Archived