Riding on grass has it's downsides!

Scully

Is the safest place to ride also the most dangerous place to ride?

It's great to ride on grass, if you fall off it doesn't hurt your wheel - and it hurts you less (than concrete), it also keeps you on your toes with varied terrain. 

My top 3 things to watch out for..... 

Hidden pot holes
Grass can hide lumps and bumps, which adds to the fun - but can cause unexepcted tumbles. 

Waterlogged grass
The EUC seems to dig in if there is a puddle under the grass - mine grinds to a halt, testing my reflexes from going from 0-12mph luckily enough my legs ran this one out. 

Dog walkers / Dogs
People like to walk their dogs on the grass river banks around here, my top tip if you get a crazed dog is to either completely stop or head towards it's owner - in the hope they can get their animal under control. 

I think the grass is hands down most dangerous surface to ride on, after ice, snow, and oily pavement. You dont see the surface behind the grass and dont know if there are holes, bumps, depressed areas , other obstacles. Why woukd grass be a better surface than asphalt? The only reason grass is better is when someone plans on falling, it wont hurt as much. But it will increase the chance of falling , so overall may not br an advantage. 

If one wants to ride grass because they think they will fall, this means they are new to riding, in which case riding on uneven surface will become even more difficult as one is learning, which defeats the purpose. I wouldnt recommend anyone to learn to ride an euc on grass. Better to wear protective gear and try on a smoother surface

Best tip I have for riding on grass where the bumps are not visible is to ride more in a squatting position with your knees bent.  That allows you to absorb the bumps better with your legs as suspension.  You do have to go a bit slower obviously, and it's not as fun as smooth pavement.  Actually, on the weekend I managed to successfully do a run off without wiping out at 30km/h top speed on my wheel, I was surprised about that.  I think the crouching position makes you better able to run off as your legs are already primed for action.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a little warning: Don't ever drive a wheel on artificial grass.

I have a football field close by and decided it was a great place to exercise. WRONG! I've never fallen off more than I did that day. It feels like riding on rain-slick metal.

I've tried grass (even wet grass) and that is heavenly to ride on in comparison.

Archived