Replacing Batteries w/ Higher mAh?

tcr1016

I have a hoverboard with 10" wheels. It has a battery pack with 36v/4.4ah (battery model: ICR18650-20P  CHINA DS). I want to upgrade, since the batteries are failing (cheap). I want to replace them with quality 3.7 9800 mAh 18650. Has anyone done this and do you use the same charging cord? I can provide pics if you need to see the hoverboard.

Should work, it will just take longer to charge. You also need a BMS-board, heat-shrinking sleeve, know-how of how to wire the cells to the BMS and probably spot-welding tools & nickel-strips to make proper connections. Also, if someone is selling you 9800mAh cells, they're fake. The highest real capacity available with 18650-form factor currently is something like 3500 or 3600mAh, definitely below 4000mAh.

Also, if the batteries are junk there is a possibility that the charger is junk too. I bought a charger through AliExpress from a company called Greentime that seems to be pretty good quality. They build them custom so you spec what kind of AC cord and power connector you need. They seem to have some 36v 4a chargers at reasonable prices:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/36V-42V-43-8V-etc/313864_259134264.html

At that point the only original components remaining are the control board and the motors! Make sure you route the wiring carefully and put protective sleeves on anything that might get pinched.

Archived