Purchase advice: MCM4, KS 14C or Gotway ACM

Leech

I decided to buy a monowheel and tried some of Gotway and KingSong models (for couple of hours or so). Some of them i found comfortable but still want your advice to make my final choice. 

The prices of the wheels in Russia are: KS 14C 340Wh  500$

Gotway ACM 680Wh 1000$ 

MCM4 340 Wh around 600$

I want to use them to ride on 5-15 km routes, i`m 70 kg and want to carry the wheel in my backpack (i know the weight of them, but handle is really uncomfortable for me as i used to keep my hands free to read in buses or trains). I`ve been riding roller skates for more than 10 years so want to have good speed on a wheel when i learn how to ride on it steadily. I don`t have much money so can buy KS14C at the end of the summer but will have to wait until i can buy ACM in autumn. 

I didn`t try to carry those wheels in a backpack for a long time, so i will appreciate any comments of your experience in it. 

I have a hard time to believe that you will find it more comfortable to carry 13-17kg around in a backpack than to push it around on the ground, besides that pulling out the handle takes only a second, while storing it in a backpack is a somewhat longer procedure (and don't underestimate the size). In the bus or the train I never use my hands to hold on to the wheel on the floor. Only when I push the wheel I need one hand, which is indeed slightly inconvenient for a quick visit in a bakery. Yet even then storing the wheel in a backpack I would find much less practical.

Hi,

For the usage you plan, if it still exists, maybe you should consider the gotway mcm2s 340wh, it's smaller, and lighter than the mcm4, goes at the same speed (even faster) and is less expensive than others. it weights 11kg.

Otherwise the kingsong ks14 is a perfect wheel for these kind of trips (cheaper than the mcm4 apparently), I would say avoid the gotway ACM in 680Wh because it's the heaviest.

I carry a mcm4 680Wh in a backpack, it's heavy but for little trips (typicaly the last few hundred meters) it's possible. I am not a heavy person nor am I physically strong, I have a physical illness, but still I can carry it for up to 1km (and mine is 14kg), it's not comfortable though and I wouldn't do it for more than that and only if it's necessary.

12 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

I carry a mcm4 680Wh in a backpack, it's heavy but for little trips (typicaly the last few hundred meters) it's possible. I am not a heavy person nor am I physically strong, I have a physical illness, but still I can carry it for up to 1km (and mine is 14kg), it's not comfortable though and I wouldn't do it for more than that and only if it's necessary.

What is the reason that you prefer to carry it over pushing it?

Если ты собираешься таскать колесо на себе, то выбери колесо полегче, то есть с 340 батарейкой. И размерр тодже важен - 14" будет поменьше. Тем более что оно дешевле. В будущем, если потребуется, можно нарастить батарейку до более высокой. Я езжу на кингсоне и вполне доволен. Иногда бывают проблемы, но с твоим более легким  весом, думаю все будет нормально. Готвей не пробовал, но если хочешь издить быстро, у готвея тилтбэк огрничен 24 км в час а если хочешь ехать быстрее то тилтбэк придется отключить. Возможно что в будущем выпустят новый софт который снимет это ограничение.

Если дороги по которым ездишь гладкие то 14 дюймов подойдет. Но вообщето в москве не так уж и говдко, колдобины всякие и тд. Я катался в москве и на 14 и на 18 дюймах. Я люблю 14 потому что привык, но вообще трясет конечно не слабо. Зависит от того какие будут маршруты.

Я также, как и другие, думаю что возить за ручку будет легче чем на себе таскать

2 hours ago, Niko said:

What is the reason that you prefer to carry it over pushing it?

Well I fell rather stupid doing so (like pulling and grandma's bag) and I feel like I don't grab others attention that much if it's in a bag, and last if it rains severly, by the time I get to the bus station, it's not getting more wet (even though most euc are waterproof)

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Well I fell rather stupid doing so (like pulling and grandma's bag) and I feel like I don't grab others attention that much if it's in a bag, and last if it rains severly, by the time I get to the bus station, it's not getting more wet (even though most euc are waterproof)

I felt more stupid carrying it to my car.  With the trolley handle it feels like when people see me walking it, they are more impressed by the ease of moving it.  They can see it is moving on it's own power and I am controlling it.

That is a good point about rain.  One day it was raining as I walked the wheel to the car and it got rained on.  Did not hurt it as far as I know:o

10 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hi,

For the usage you plan, if it still exists, maybe you should consider the gotway mcm2s 340wh, it's smaller, and lighter than the mcm4, goes at the same speed (even faster) and is less expensive than others. it weights 11kg.

Otherwise the kingsong ks14 is a perfect wheel for these kind of trips (cheaper than the mcm4 apparently), I would say avoid the gotway ACM in 680Wh because it's the heaviest.

Thank you very much, i forgot about mcm2s, i`ll find someone who can give me this model to test and then try to buy, it weighs only 10,5kg and its width isn`t big. The wheel is considered old-fashioned so many people sell it to buy a new one. 

Насколько я понимаю, на мсм2s тилтбек можно вообще отключить. Тряска после роликов совершенно не напрягает, возить может и привыкну в итоге, но пока неудобно по лестницам и в переходах метро.

59 minutes ago, Leech said:

Насколько я понимаю, на мсм2s тилтбек можно вообще отключить. Тряска после роликов совершенно не напрягает, возить может и привыкну в итоге, но пока неудобно по лестницам и в переходах метро.

Тилтбжк вообще вещь хорошая, лучше бы не отключать. В переходах в метро я ехал, и даже из вагона выскакивал на платформу и ехал до эскалатора.  А по лестницам нести недолго, можно за ручку нести

steve it's more of a convenience to carry it in a bag when it rains, I know that they are waterproof (I've tested 3 times riding under heavy raining with no issues). Yes it does feel a little stupid when carying it by it's original handle (not trolley) but in a bag it's fine people don't know what's in it ^^

Leech I think the mcm2s is a good choice to start with if you're not after extreme speeds and modern design :)

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

in a bag it's fine people don't know what's in it ^^

@Pingouin that is a good point.  I can see there are advantages to using a bag to carry.  Like you said, people don't know what's in the bag.  And it is completely water proof, so you don't have to wonder, like I did, if any water got thrown up inside the wheel.  I was carrying an umbrella so the wheel did not get rained on but the water I had to roll through was several centimeters deep.  A minor worry, I should have just picked it up^_^

When I said "bag", I meant backpack ;)

There are several than can suit this need, trekking bags, travel bags or event the ones that EUC brands sell.

I think that most EUC don't fear rolling on water, but in our minds it's better not to worry about it ^^

9 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Leech I think the mcm2s is a good choice to start with if you're not after extreme speeds and modern design

I don`t care about design, the main advantage of the model is weight. I`m not after extreme speeds but still want to be able to archieve 30km\h using 680 Wh mcm2s. Many experienced riders said that msm2s is very durable and water resistant, what is good. 

• 2 months later...

Archived