Tight or clicky pedals vs. magnets

MaxLinux

I noticed the IPS191 and the KS16 have pedals that stay up by friction, i.e. they don't fold up and down freely, and the stiffness or tightness is what keeps them from falling down from the folded up position. In the case of the two models I listed, there is a "clicky" feel as one moves the pedals up and down. Is this a new trend in pedal design?

My two criticisms of this non-magnet style are: 1. I can't quickly flip the pedals up and down because they are too stiff, especially for flipping them up and down with my foot. 2. I have a feeling after a while they will loosen and not stay up properly.

Why are manufacturers choosing this friction-based pedal style instead of the magnet style?

2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I can't quickly flip the pedals up and down because they are too stiff, especially for flipping them up and down with my foot.

I also prefer magnetic holding of the pedals as it could be done easily by one hand while holding EUC in air or even just by foot.. In regards of the stiff pedal becoming loose - you'll just need to check / tighten the bolts once a while as a part of your "maintenance" routine. What I'd actually like (or maybe I'll try to mod one of my wheels) to have is to push the "hidden" button in the handle to release the pedals from the top position while putting it down either by mechanically shifting the magnets or metal plates or by activating briefly small electromagnets to make opposite magnetic polarity or some rods to pop out and "poke" the pedals away. I've actually found out that with certain amount of "bump" while putting the wheel down I can unfold magnetic pedals as well but would prefer more elegant solution as per above. And for the EUCs with "stiff" pedals it's possible to convert those to magnetic as well ;)

Magnets can make things easier - I used to "bounce" my wheel gently while putting it down, causing the pedals to drop into place. But now with my Lhotz it is a much more manual process. 

Having said that though, when I fall off  (and I fall of a lot) I think the pedals on the Lhotz soften the fall for the wheel. Because the pedal needs pressure to be lifted, it reduces the impact for the wheel maybe? 

As a result, there are a lot less battle scars on the Lhotz...

Archived