KS-18A 800W-840WH in depth Review from a ninebot one E+ Rider (Seattle WA)

Bryan Wells

So after owning a ninebot E+ for about half a year, and clocking 800 miles on it I have decided to add another wheel to the collection, a long range monster KS-18A

The order was placed on Sunday June 5th from Jason @ Ewheels.com The wheel came in the main sat june 11th. Here is my honest review/opinion/Un-boxing/first ride/ range of the wheel plus a lot more to come.

I felt this post could be useful to those on the fence about purchasing the awkwardly large 18" as I have not found many thorough reviews from English speaking US folks.

Edit: this is my first impression video. much much more to come

Here is a video on my way to Seattle with my initial riding thoughts (JUST TALKING SO SORRY IF THIS ONE IS BORING)

PS: The Seattle ride mentioned above was great! Before this I had only 1.5 hours on the wheel. had no issues at all! starting to love the wheel more and more.

Battery life on this wheel is what i'd call an all day ride. My feet were completely sore by the end of my day riding. I rode all around seattle, all around my town, Down to the coffeee shop 4 miles away, used it to help train a new rider, then all the way home, then back out to the beach 4.5 miles away... I pretty much spent all day on it and only drained the battery to 49%

Ks 18 vs ks 16 vs n9one E+

Part 2!

other little things

So the test weld on the pedals did not work well. So instead i got creative and made my own extensions that ride beautifully.

Here is the final assembly and first ride impressions

Also thought I'd mention the range I got. 24 miles on a full battery with a VERY hilly town I live, As mentioned I weigh 180lbs (81KG)

The point at which I stopped riding I was hovering at around 50-51volts and starting to get warning beeps when traveling at around 14-15mph. The low battery warnings were great. very predictable and safe, I thought there was no way you could be thrown off by a sudden tilt-back from what I experienced. overall great low battery programming.

Here is a riding clip with thoughts on the feel of the ride

short clip showing off the 4x4 crawl over

Inside the ks-18A

Taking the 18 down some stepps for the first time!

Loving the charging jack. Saved me a few times already. Never trust an android battery...

20160629_165234.jpg

okay this was too fun not to share...

Good purchase!

I made the same transition (E+ > KS-18A).

I would suggest giving it some serious regular riding time before coming to any concrete conclusions, as the transition/acclimation between what you are probably used to with the Ninebot and the KS-18A is unlike any other (combination of the physics (height/weight) and, since you're coming from the hardest driving EUC, soft response).

My first ride out of the box with the KS-18A was a bit awkward. Obviously, I wasn't used to the softer response in the KingSong riding style, accustomed to the instant acceleration and braking from the E+. But more importantly, I had to wrestle with the unfamiliar heavier weight and higher mass of the wheel during turns and simply going in a straight line.

After some heavy daily riding though, I learned that maneuvering on the KS-18A requires more pronounced overall body movement, mainly from the hips and upper torso. Turns come from your hips, as the center of mass when riding is higher on the KS-18A, as opposed to every other shorter EUC, where turns come, with lesser effort, more from your knees, and with very little upper body movement required. Consecutive turning or slaloming on the KS-18A will result in a flapjack-style, side-to-side falling that is very pronounced due to it's higher rectangular shape (I've learned to embrace this falling motion). To offset this, for stability, you move your torso in contrary motion so your body weight is stacked directly over the leaning KS-18A.

I've also learned to appreciate the soft driving nature of the KS-18A, more so at lower speeds. In a crowd, I will "throw" my body weight in a different direction that I am facing, with hips following, to sharply pivot to that direction from a relative stand still. Also, it is easier, with the more delayed response, to rock the wheel backwards and forwards in a crowd to a relative stand still, so I don't have to step off the wheel.

The other, more obvious benefits you will probably feel right away, such as the higher and more stable top speed (going ~18.6mph feels more stable on a 18" x 2.5" wide tire base, than it does on, say, a 14" x 2.125" wide tire base), and the more powerful 800W motor (if the 500W E+ "walks" up steep hills, the 800W KS-18A will "run" up those same hills).

All in all, for me, the KS-18A has become my favorite main workhorse, and will remain a staple in my collection of wheels.

Very interested in what your experience is!

(I also still appreciate the harder (albeit slower) Ninebot style of riding as well, as I've recently acquired their new 14" lighter version of the E+, the S2. 2 totally different wheels; love them both!)

I have to Say that The 800 Watt version of ks18 Seams to have Another Code than The ks 16 and The ks18 1200 Watt version...

its just a Hear-say...But as i heard The 1200 Watt version is a very lot stiffer....as The ks16 is also stiffer than The 14....The Last i know from Own experience :-)

I have ridden both a ks 16 and 14, and now the 800watt 18, stiffness feels exactly the same with the three. As far as code, unlocking it with the key generator worked fine too. So far i am very happy with the ks-18

Not that there isn5 a difference, i just couldnt tell lol

1 hour ago, Bryan Wells said:

I have ridden both a ks 16 and 14, and now the 800watt 18, stiffness feels exactly the same with the three. As far as code, unlocking it with the key generator worked fine too. So far i am very happy with the ks-18

Not that there isn5 a difference, i just couldnt tell lol

Stiffness of 16 to a 14 is a lot, lot more.....Even in Play mode...hardest mode....

you are The First Then, who says its The same......

for me its like changing from Play Mode to softest Mode When i go from 16 to 14.....

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for posting your video.  I have had a cheap 14" CXM wheel for the past couple of years and have finally decided to upgrade, so it was very interesting to see your thoughts.  I have settled on either the 16 or 18" kingsong wheels, and I'd be interested to see how the maneuverability is on the 18" once you get used to it - there doesn't seem to be any videos online demonstrating this.  Mostly they focus on the long range / comfort cruising capabilities.  I like the idea of the extendable handle on the 16", and the ability to sit on the 18" would probably increase the usable range comfort wise, but I worry it will be like driving a tank.  So any input you can provide to this point would be appreciated.

Surely! Ill make a video compairing the 16"vs 18" manuverability this afternoon, stay tuned as I keep updatimg the original post. In a nutshell to pick between a 16 inch KS and an 18 inch KS you need to decide your type of riding goals.  long-range machine, or a fun sporty around the neighborhood wheel.

The thing is, the 16 and 18 both have the same power and distance capabilities. But you will find that the 18 is like riding a tank (I describe tank as that solid safe feeling that not much will throw you off and you could run over just about anything) and is probably over all more comfortable for RANGE. On the flip side the 16 inch can turn sharper like if you were turning around in the middle of a sidewalk or something. There really is nothing bad to say about the 16 at all, but for me it wouldn't be as comfortable and steady after 15+ miles of riding down the same road and I haven't even begun to speak about the seat... I appreciate a seat because taking 5 minute break off of your feet to sit in a funky position still really relaxes your feet and helps minimize any foot fatigue (riding or sitting still at the cross walks.) I will admit that learning to ride on the seat is like learning to ride all over again and anyone with experience riding a real unicycle will greatly appreciate those skills. 

Anywho keep the questions rolling, I'd be happy to get in depth with any answers. Video of the 16 v 18 to come

@Bryan Wells

great review, great commentation! appreciate to see more of this....

i am a little sorry tthat you dont have the 1200 watt version...from that i even want to know more :-)

but the 18 is at all a great wheel...nice to hear this review from you!

thanks!

Very good review, very informative.

I'm quite interested by the KS18 as my next wheel, in its top version (1200W & 1360Wh), I wonder how it feels to sit on the top of it, does it absorb the road imperfections enough so that it's not hurting.

@Bryan Wells Nice vids! (One of these days, I need to make a slalom vid of the KS-18A to show the degree of maneuverability you can achieve on the unit).

The acceleration difference is the soft driving that I was talking about. This is, more or less, universal to all KingSong wheels. The one detriment of this softness is, in fact, the initiation of going uphill, which can start slow. I equated it on the forums before as a quick starting sprinter (Ninebot) vs. a faster sprinter who starts off the blocks slow, but gets faster the farther they run. I think, for you, this is doubly compounded by the relatively small-ish pedals with your shoe size. You might want to invest in @1RadWerkstatt's XXL KS18 pedals, as he seems to ship to the US.

Also, if you want to prevent full, top-off charges, you can purchase a Charge Doctor V2 (buy page here), as you can limit the end-of-charge current threshold. Haven't used that feature yet myself on mine, but great little inexpensive device to read real-time current info.

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

@Bryan Wells

great review, great commentation! appreciate to see more of this....

i am a little sorry tthat you dont have the 1200 watt version...from that i even want to know more :-)

but the 18 is at all a great wheel...nice to hear this review from you!

thanks!

So I have no proof of this... but Jason at Ewheels was saying that the 1200watt version is prone to overloading the Mainboard and overheating it often... this was the sole reason i went for the 800watt. plus i cant get the 800 to give up on a hill anyways haha. I simply don't see any need for more in my eyes.

52 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Bryan Wells Nice vids! (One of these days, I need to make a slalom vid of the KS-18A to show the degree of maneuverability you can achieve on the unit).

The acceleration difference is the soft driving that I was talking about. This is, more or less, universal to all KingSong wheels. The one detriment of this softness is, in fact, the initiation of going uphill, which can start slow. I equated it on the forums before as a quick starting sprinter (Ninebot) vs. a faster sprinter who starts off the blocks slow, but gets faster the farther they run. I think, for you, this is doubly compounded by the relatively small-ish pedals with your shoe size. You might want to invest in @1RadWerkstatt's XXL KS18 pedals, as he seems to ship to the US.

Also, if you want to prevent full, top-off charges, you can purchase a Charge Doctor V2 (buy page here), as you can limit the end-of-charge current threshold. Haven't used that feature yet myself on mine, but great little inexpensive device to read real-time current info.

A thanks for the questions guys! So as far a slalom I don't feel the 18 is in any way limited to the 16 or even a 14, the reason is you can just about pivot anything on a single point with a tiny contact patch to the ground. In a video I will be sharing tonight you will see this at the end when I demonstrate the tight slalom on the 18 vs my ninebot. Thanks for that charger peak unit by the way, I'll look at those pedals.

1 hour ago, Pingouin said:

Very good review, very informative.

I'm quite interested by the KS18 as my next wheel, in its top version (1200W & 1360Wh), I wonder how it feels to sit on the top of it, does it absorb the road imperfections enough so that it's not hurting.

The seat was a large learning curve in itself. I thought I could never use it after the first few attempts, but after a day or two I have gotten a LOT better at it. the trick is to sit down fast, don't think about it, just sit! because the slower you sit, the longer you are in an "awkward" un-ridable middle position about an inch off the seat that feels like you are going to crash for sure! also holding onto the wheel from the front as you get seated makes WORLDS difference. As far ad bumps goes, its a lot like if you lock your knees when standing, on smooth roads its great, on the gravel its still great, but on the quick ups and down like a speed bump... you might want to stand back up or it will buck a bit. also grass is a bit of a pain if you don't have higher tire pressure. Over all would I keep or loose the seat? I'd keep it and pull it out every ride over 2 miles for sure! and the shorter you are the easier it will be to use (I'm 6'4"!!!)

the fact is that all Ks18 are a little bit known for overheating...

one reason is...their heatsink is not going to be "outside" the wheel...

as i know...the 14 and 16 have their heatsink one side near the rotating wheel, while in the 18 the heatsink just sits in the plastik case over the additional batteries when you have a 1000wh plus version with batteries not only on the side of the whell, but also on top....

some france riders even got a solution with a metal heatsink /holes directly under the grip...over the motherboard..somewhere here are photos of this mods, but i can not find them anymore :-(

but this overheating only occurs when going uphill for a long long time with massive weight and speed....and can even happen to gotways msuper....so nothing to really worry about!

Nice reviews Bryan.I've had the KS-18 since last October and it is definitely one of my "workhorse" wheels.I also have the 14c mk.3 which is 640wh and 800w motor which is the other "workhorse".

21 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

he fact is that all Ks18 are a little bit known for overheating...

I've never overheated the 18in.,but the 14in. has done it twice.

4 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

The seat was a large learning curve in itself.

I have never tried to ride on the seat because sitting on it felt too awkward for a 6' tall person,but since you're 6'4'' I guess that idea goes out the window.If you could post a vid with your seat riding technique,that would be much appreciated. 

14 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Nice reviews Bryan.I've had the KS-18 since last October and it is definitely one of my "workhorse" wheels.I also have the 14c mk.3 which is 640wh and 800w motor which is the other "workhorse".

I've never overheated the 18in.,but the 14in. has done it twice.

I have never tried to ride on the seat because sitting on it felt too awkward for a 6' tall person,but since you're 6'4'' I guess that idea goes out the window.If you could post a vid with your seat riding technique,that would be much appreciated. 

haha I will when a buddy can film me, with long legs you just need to sit quickly right on the CENTER of the seat not the back of it, and your toes will be the only part of your foot on the pedals... heels lifted up

as far at heat, for me, even the long steep hills it only reads out a max of 105 degrees F.. that's pretty darn cool for electronics. so it must take a MASSIVE hill with a MASSIVE... MASS?

as i do not have a 18 ( until now :-) ) i can only speak from hear-say and what i read and saw here...

two france riders modified their 18s ...both with metal plates over the board and big holes through the plastic under the grip...

one closed the holes with rubber ...to open this when heated....

one done a big metal plate over the holes as a second heatsink...

perhaps someone else found the photos....i searched a lot but could nit find them again...

but this has been both wheels from september 2015 production...perhaps something got changed?!

as i self will get a 18 i also give a f.... to those little overheat reports....

its funny: with my ks14c 680wh i NEVER experienced overheat...and i am 100kg and we have massive hills here in my german region...called "hilled land"....

so seams to depend from machine to machine  a little bit different :-)

Thnaks Bryan, The fact it has a seat that is usable is great, because I have some shoulder pain that makes it hard for me to stand comfortably for more than 2 hours (my trip lasts at least 3h in general, up to 6h) that's whay I considerd this wheel, although the negatives is that I find it not so nice looking (like most kingonsgs except the 16) and in it's top version, 21kg might be a pain to carry...do you use a trolley ?

The 840Wh doesn't exist where I live, there are only the 680Wh or 1360Wh version, I think the 680Wh might be a bit short on range for the price (less than 40km in real conditions).

17 minutes ago, Pingouin said:

Thnaks Bryan, The fact it has a seat that is usable is great, because I have some shoulder pain that makes it hard for me to stand comfortably for more than 2 hours (my trip lasts at least 3h in general, up to 6h) that's whay I considerd this wheel, although the negatives is that I find it not so nice looking (like most kingonsgs except the 16) and in it's top version, 21kg might be a pain to carry...do you use a trolley ?

The 840Wh doesn't exist where I live, there are only the 680Wh or 1360Wh version, I think the 680Wh might be a bit short on range for the price (less than 40km in real conditions).

where do you live?

2 hours ago, Pingouin said:

I live in france ;) (not from there though)

You could get the KS 18 from

www.1radwerkstatt.de

They have them in 680, 1020, 1360 and 1508wh...... and in the higher watthour Version even a lot cheaper than KS France or Gyroroue......

But they only have the 1200 Watt Version....

Thanks a lot for making and posting those videos, I really appreciate it!  You make it look very agile, so it seems that the large size is not a concern.

Archived