New design for my EUC

alon av

I need new design for my EUC.

Changing the 2 tires to a wide one made the OEM cases weak and limiting.

I also wanted to check my thoughts of how an EUC should look so I planed and produced it.

It has aluminium frame, inner plastic box for the electronics and a fender mainly for aesthetic look.

The box and the fender are made by 3D printing.

Even though it is way more robust then it was , the weight is about the same.  

Here are some pictures :

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

IMG_6367.JPG

I need= I needed

I have it with this tire setup & suspension for a few months now.

It is very easy to ride and I'm getting better all the time.

With this new frame it feels more solid and is has more " cool factor ".

I love riding it, just afraid the battery will wear down eventually.

29 minutes ago, alon av said:

Hi SlowMo

It is not a solid tire.

I have a tire that you can try , to big for my diameter. but you will need to take of your tire without destroying it.

Is it possible ? 

The Kahuna tire is solid 14". I don't know how it could be removed. Thanks for the offer anyway. :)

Seeing posts like this inspires me to get into designing and maybe even producing an EUC myself, but I seriously lack any of the experience required.

However, I'm sorely tempted to get a jigsaw and a welder to make a pair of custom aluminum pedals. 

4 hours ago, Jug said:

Great work! ;)

Do you have blueprint (plan, sketch) of your aluminium frame?

I have 3d files and drawings, since your battery is different then mine it will reflect on the space you will need inside the frame so you may have to make changes/

2 hours ago, WakefulTraveller said:

Seeing posts like this inspires me to get into designing and maybe even producing an EUC myself, but I seriously lack any of the experience required.

However, I'm sorely tempted to get a jigsaw and a welder to make a pair of custom aluminum pedals. 

Welding aluminium is not an easy task :)

connecting with screws is easier.

6mm aluminium plate is strong enough for the pedals once you stopped crashing and is not hard to saw. 

Oh right, I was meaning to comment on this earlier, but then again sort of forgot :P That's a really cool frame. :) If I had the tools, that's something I would have tried to build instead of that aluminum flat-bar -thingamabob I made, but I don't have proper tools for cutting & bending aluminum plates.

Was it you who did that video riding a wheel with pedal-suspension? The mechanism looks the same.

6 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@alon av so nice!! Would be great if you could share a video showing you riding it... Thanks for sharing.

I want to make a nice video showing riding it here, it will take longer then I thought because yesterday I got  a backache can't ride it now :( 

On 26.5.2016 at 9:52 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

That is so cool!  Did you use an Airwheel Q series motor in your build?  How's the off-roading like?

It is based on airwheel Q1 , correct observation.

I did not try it ofroad, the wheel is 390 mm diameter so it is rather small . most of offrroad trails here in Israel has a lot of rocks of all sizes on them so It is not going to be easy.

7 hours ago, esaj said:

Oh right, I was meaning to comment on this earlier, but then again sort of forgot :P That's a really cool frame. :) If I had the tools, that's something I would have tried to build instead of that aluminum flat-bar -thingamabob I made, but I don't have proper tools for cutting & bending aluminum plates.

Was it you who did that video riding a wheel with pedal-suspension? The mechanism looks the same.

Hi esaj

Thanks for the comments.

The video was probably mine, If the video showed handlebar then it is me :)

I do not think you can have the tools for sheet metal forming if it not your business, I did the the design and then paid for making me the frame.   

On 28.5.2016 at 9:53 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

With the dual elecrric motors in the Q does your wheel have alot more torque with the one large tire than a regular single motor?  Can you ride it without the handlebar attachment? 

The Airwheel unicycls Q series has 2 tires but 1 motor, I think it has 450W motor.

I tried gravel in the beginning,  it was too hard for me then, I will take your point seriously :) and try again together with low tire pressure.

I can ride without the handlebar, no problems, the wide tire makes it easy anyway but I like the handlebar, there are many advantages.

for example- if the battery is low then on uphills I can push it against itself and gain charge + doing some workout ! ( on downhill it is charged by gravity and it is all uphill downhill here) also- it never crashes, no matter what situation I am in, even in over leaning it stays with me. 

Oh I thought there were two motors in the Airwheel Q's.  I wonder how difficult it would be to sync two electric motors together with a common drive axle and one large wheel....  You would think you could double the torque from doing that but not improve maximum speed.  It might be good for off-roading?

On 30.5.2016 at 5:36 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Oh I thought there were two motors in the Airwheel Q's.  I wonder how difficult it would be to sync two electric motors together with a common drive axle and one large wheel....  You would think you could double the torque from doing that but not improve maximum speed.  It might be good for off-roading?

O.K. ,,,

So today I tried some off road, it is not bad on off road but not good either. Not necessarily because of the tire but because it is a small unicycle. off coarse that the original 2 tiny tires would be terrible.    

1. you have to ride fast. Fast enough not to be bothered by all the stones

2. Then when you turn tight , you have no grip, knoby tire would work better.

3. To handle the medium stones a bigger diameter wheel is much needed, I can't handle the big ( 8 cm high and beyond) stones that my dirtbike does not even know that are somewhere down there :) 

So... it is possible( to ride ofroad with it), if the trails were just soil it would even be fun, would be interesting to compare thin to wide tire on off road

Archived