We need a "Nurburgring"

Makoben

The automobile world has the Nurburgring. It is a racetrack located in Germany. It hasn't changed in years and it is very challenging. Bragging rights are earned by how fast the lap times are for a manufacturer's vehicle. Now I am not suggesting someone go out and try to set a lap time at the "Ring" with an EU. What we need is the great test of an EU that all EU manufacturers and testers can use. A mountain with a paved road would be great. Think Pike's Peak hill climb with year round weather. It would have to be a real challenge as far as distance and altitude gain, hopefully beyond the capability of any present wheel. We just have to find a place, somewhere on this planet that would fit. It would be nice if the weather was good most of the year, no snow or ice. It would have to be legal for EU's and easily accessible. To keep it simple, a hundred kilo rider(use weights so every wheel would be tested at the same weight). I would volunteer, but in Florida, our highest mountain is about 60 meters, not much of a challenge. I do remember seeing a video of a group of riders in China riding up a mountain, maybe something like that.

Ok forum members, can anyone think of such a place?

Mike

I think the location would have to be in Shenzhen, China as most are likely produced there.  Considering that most airlines poo poo bringing EUCs onboard it might be a location only Shenzhen locals would be able to frequent unless factories are able to accommodate EUC tourists who want to rent a wheel to test out on the proving grounds.  Paris seems to have a higher density of EUC users so that might be another choice that might be more accessible.  I just wished that some of the local sports arenas allowed indoor riding during the winter months here.  I'd settle for something like that to roll around indoors!

New Zealand... we have plenty of challenging landscape. 

Just think, Lord of the Rings on EUCs!

4 hours ago, Makoben said:

To keep it simple, a hundred kilo rider(use weights so every wheel would be tested at the same weight).

So I would use helium balloons instead of weights? 

that would be nice, but even easier, we could start with having a standardised set of tests on e.g. on a threadmill for at least being able to bjectively compare key characteristics of models.

27 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

New Zealand... we have plenty of challenging landscape. 

Just think, Lord of the Rings on EUCs!

So I would use helium balloons instead of weights? 

Excellent idea. Kiwis are second only to the US in car ownership per capita, and most are pro-racing. Definitely on the South Island.

Long term, EUC races would need to evolve into EUC-rugby to remain relevant. Maybe the All Blacks could spawn a Wheel Blacks team.

Some great ideas. Shenzhen makes sense because of that is where most EU's are produced. Do they have a mountain there? I remember driving up a mountain outside of Queenstown, NZ that would be phenomenal, but like Pikes Peak, it would have weather problems. @The Fat Unicyclist Unfortunately I would have to use helium balloons also, but would diet if the opportunity came up. @Tomek I like the idea of a treadmill standardized test, but I like the optics of man and machine against Mother Nature on a course that anyone could try. Treadmill test could be as simple as 10 degree slope at 15 kph with 100 kilo rider goes ? Kilometers. I have a treadmill, I might just give this go and see what happens.

Mike

Archived