how to replace the gotway battery bms step1

1 hour ago, LaRoueDeSecours said:

Hi Jane. Unfortunately videos are with sound, but no images. Could you please check if something is wrong?

Thanks

works for me

it's a handy video, but also a bit reckless... i would never advice to do this without (surgical) rubber gloves. i found out the hard way. 60+ volts can give you a decent shock, and when you get a shock you can easily drop the battery in a very wrong way or burn yourself with the soldering iron (yup, i did both, waiting for a new bms because of frying something on the former one in this very way)

Just now, Tomek said:

it's a handy video, but also a bit reckless...

Probably the person doing the soldering there has done that a hundred times, seems pretty routine-job for her(?) :P

Just now, Tomek said:

i would never advice to do this without (surgical) rubber gloves. i found out the hard way. 60+ volts can give you a decent shock, and when you get a shock you can easily drop the battery in a very wrong way or burn yourself with the soldering iron (yup, i did both, waiting for a new bms because of frying something on the former one in this very way)

Ouch... yeah, not a bad idea on those gloves.

1 minute ago, esaj said:

Probably the person doing the soldering there has done that a hundred times, seems pretty routine-job for her(?)

yeah, took me 1 hour of soldering carefully (not enough) each battery separately and she does it in a few minutes, lol

btw. if you install new cells (here the're re-used), you better use flux on those nickel tags, solder doesn't stick too well otherwise

btw2. my other pack which i didn't damage is doing great so far ;)

If you have a bad BMS, is it really worthy to replace it, especially if you plan to not charge it fully everyday to make it live longer ?

What about removing the BMS, adding a fuse, soldering the charging wires to the discharging ones and adding balancing cables. Then use a balancer once in a while, like this one (buy 3 for 25€ if you want to do it fast) :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10328__HobbyKing_8482_Battery_Medic_System_2S_6S_.html

4 hours ago, jbwheel said:

If you have a bad BMS, is it really worthy to replace it, especially if you plan to not charge it fully everyday to make it live longer ?

What about removing the BMS, adding a fuse, soldering the charging wires to the discharging ones and adding balancing cables. Then use a balancer once in a while, like this one (buy 3 for 25€ if you want to do it fast) :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10328__HobbyKing_8482_Battery_Medic_System_2S_6S_.html

Depends what you mean by "bad", is it really malfunctioning or are the overcurrent/undervoltage protections the problem? In the latter case you can just shunt them, which is like you'd have no BMS on the discharge side at all (but get the protections on the charging side + at least some sort of balancing built-in).

Personally I'd go with a BMS vs. balancing "by hand" with an external device.

oh, sure, the bms is really busted and I should be receiving a new one any day now.

the problem was a small short on the last cell via the bms resulting in that cell fully discharging over a course of ca. 24h.

wasted two cells before figuring out what's the problem (first thought that the cell was busted, only when the second one i resoldered died in the same way i checked the bms)

7 hours ago, jbwheel said:

costs 20$ and an hour of work, definitely worth it, think of all the hassle with connectors for an external balancer 

Archived